hint

party record with a siren
Lil Silva's tunes consistently bun down raves...Malice's Gabryelle Refix 12", already a modern classic...This is the UK house cutting edge right here! ...

Those quotes talk about remixes and original productions by UK producers. The D Malice EP is presented as "Refixes", LIl Silva is all over the VIP of Pulse X saying that it's a "Pulse Remix".

Sure, it's debatable whether they improve on the originals, or are worth the hype. Nevertheless, the producers being hyped are at least providing some original content on those releases, so it just comes down to a matter of taste.

That is very different to the bunch of 12"s floating about which just consist of straight, untouched, unedited Kenny Dope / Karizma tracks being pressed up anonymously.

he plays/been playing their funky tunes all this year

I know, Jammer's stuff as well. More making the point that they follow where the 'underground' goes quickly, hence the bassline tunes, electro things, the track 9 freestyles, now funky.

Can't deny that they bandwagon mate. Whether they're feeling the music or not, that's evident.

elgato

I just dont know
i understand that JME has been producing house for a little while, and operating relatively anonymously, i don't think its fair to frame the way he's approached it as bandwagon jumping

okay, perhaps not the right choice of words for the situation but i maintain my assertion.
skepta is certainly a worse culprit than jme as well.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh i didn't mean it to be sharp if thats how it seemed, it just didn't seem right to leave that unsaid cos i think his involvement thus far has been very understated

as for the more general issue im not in a great position to judge i don't think so don't really have much to add!

Poet for Hire

okay, perhaps not the right choice of words for the situation but i maintain my assertion.
skepta is certainly a worse culprit than jme as well.

Not exactly sure what is to be gained from your 'bandwagon' criticism apart from bolstering your own critical position. I mean, you are essentially a librarian after all that knows how to press record on his computer, no?

Poet for Hire

Not exactly sure what is to be gained from your 'bandwagon' criticism apart from bolstering your own critical position. I mean, you are essentially a librarian after all that knows how to press record on his computer, no?

And as Elijah or someone said upthread, at least part of funky is 'grime in disguise'.

UFO over easy

online mahjong

lol, you do seem to take great pleasure in calling people out

faustus

I mean, you are essentially a librarian after all that knows how to press record on his computer, no?

that's a pretty stupid comment, big up grimetapes every time.

speaking of radio shows, marcus nasty played some sick new stuff last night (after 3 hours of playing all the usuals). missed the new producer mario and lil silva tunes but got the last 45 mins:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dm8lfi

(if any1's got more recorded would be appreciated)

edit: seems to be skipping a bit in places, no idea why

Last edited:

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
I got really excited when Marcus rang me to tell me about his set on Wednesday.... I think it would be good to see how the chemistry works. Personally I don't think it's fair to label anyone in BBK as a bangwagon jumper. The majority of funky producers did come from another genre, mostly grime. Then they all be bangwagoners from the likes of Crazy Cousinz to Perempay. Some of the leading DJs have even crossed genre.... Marcus Nasty for instance and how long has Mak 10 been playing it.

Music evolves and with it, so do people and how they work with it.

Negativity aside..... Wednesday..... Rinse FM.... 7-9pm

I..... Willl...... Be...... THERE!!!! :D

Nothing to be "gained" at all, it's just an opinion based on personal view.
As for grimetapes, I've never tried to oversell what I do as anything more than what it is. Make of me/it what you want.

benjybars

village elder.
so definitely no Beyond this week then... shame.

just hope it moves to somewhere with a decent system.

basically, they should just stop pissing about and have it at plastic people..

viktorvaughn

so definitely no Beyond this week then... shame.

just hope it moves to somewhere with a decent system.

basically, they should just stop pissing about and have it at plastic people..

Have you heard anything about it, is it deffo leaving Bar Rhumba?

I would be SO flippin happy if it went to PP, best club space ever and walk home.:cool:

viktorvaughn

that's a pretty stupid comment, big up grimetapes every time.

speaking of radio shows, marcus nasty played some sick new stuff last night (after 3 hours of playing all the usuals). missed the new producer mario and lil silva tunes but got the last 45 mins:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dm8lfi

(if any1's got more recorded would be appreciated)

edit: seems to be skipping a bit in places, no idea why

The bit where he just stops a tune and says it shit and that he didn't even listen to it before playing it on radio is pretty amusing.

Also interesting where he's like 'it's not longer Uk funky, it's not just about the UK, it's just funky'.