4NR

"Nike" is mediocre-- I think that's why Square One was the side that got remixed. Julio Bashmore is killing it, that drop at 2:00 :mad:

jimitheexploder

I've been enjoying the Marcus Nasty & Bassboy stuff from: oh and Crackish by Geeneus.

Its got that bassline vibe but not quite as riggid, I dunno the bass is just addictive and not quite as bait as a lot of bassline I've heard.

The only thing that bothers me about all this funky argument is the fact its a mission to get hold of stuff from within the acctual funky scene, most of the time. Sometimes I just wana wack on a 12" instead of waiding through loads of mixes or tuning in.

I'm gonna check out Deja Vu more often now though, thanks to you lot.

Tim F

Jimi, here are some awesome 2009 UK Funky tracks readily available for purchase as standalone MP3:

Crazy Cousinz - Inflation
Royal P - Between Us
Ill Blu - Time To Get Nasty
Skepta - Lush (Fuzzy Logik Remix)
Delerious - Truthful
321 - Bring It Back (Ill Blu Remix)
Fuzzy Logik - In The Morning
Moonie - Donnie
Ill Blu - Blu Magic
Big Kidd Productions - Boomting
NB Funky - Riddim Box
Shystie - Pull It (Ill Blu Remix)
Crazy Cousinz - Always Be Mine
Miss Fire - Falling (DJ Naughty Remix)
Kris Baya - Heartbreaker (Ill Blu Remix)
Hannah Liston - Embrace Me (Crazy Cousinz Remix)
Darkus Beat Company - Promises
Sticky ft Natalie Storm - Look 'Pon Mi
Suncycle ft. Mavado - No More (Ill Blu Remix)
Dotstar - Stick Up
Rudenko - Everybody (Fingaprint Remix)
Platnum - Love Shy (Crazy Cousinz Remix)
H2O - Pink Love (Ill Blu Remix)

jimitheexploder

Nice one Tim, I've got a few of those. I can't stop playing Time To Get Nasty, Inflation, Riddim Box, In The Morning, Pull It...

I'll check out loads of the others though, I think I've heard a few at least. I don't often buy mp3s mind as I only DJ with vinyal at the moment as I can't afford serato/cdjs haha I'm gonna have to start making exceptions for funky I reckon.

gumdrops

that ossie b track is good. a bit too 80s boogie - ie not quite enough funky-ness (totally reminds me of broken beat guys after they stopped doing bb) but nice. the amerie remix is better than hud mo trying to do R&B just cos its a better song than any of his. hud mo hasnt come up with any decent songs on his own. this isnt new, but i still like it - donaoes remix - this isnt new either, but its sort of amusing. ish.
though the best answer back to too many man i heard on a pirate a while ago and i cant find it on youtube. but it was properly funny.
edit - i found it -
http://www.firstup.se/2009/07/too-many-weave-aka-mediocrity-rulez.html
the impersonations of skepta and jme are pretty spot on.
a lot of women prob wouldnt be too impressed with this one.

gumdrops

this is a really really great mix -
http://www.4shared.com/file/205708101/65fe5c7/DJ_Larizzle__StormParties__Str.html
Funky Twinz ft. Angel J Smile (just after 20 mins in) is fucking AMAZING.
luka i reckon youd love this song.
i thought it was ny singing it - reminds me a bit of her wookie gallium vocal.
miss fires fallin is good too (with some less 'classy' 80s boogie synths on there)
im not so into princess nyahs recent stuff - her voice is a bit flat on these. thats part of what i like, that indifference, but sometimes it just sounds like she cant be arsed.
Kodi Starr (Crazy Cousinz) ft. Mc Sickman - Money Routine is good if you ignore the annoyingly repetitive lyrics.
ditto for this one - SMI ft. Quicy (choice fm) Hear Wot I Say {{DJ Larizzle Special}}
anyway, lots of good stuff here.
im gonna see if hes got any other mixes as good as this.
edit - this Kodi Starr (Crazy Cousinz) Extortion is also brilliant. proper, proper grime-funky stuff. bassline is pretty dark/hard and dark, reminds me of early grime (though not quite as raw, its a bit more tempered), not what id expect from CC. maybe this kodi starr name is their outlet for darker stuff.

what are the main/best mixes for dancehall/uk funky combos? i have the heatwave xlr8r one but im sure there were some others...

Last edited:

franz

This is what I like.Goosebumps..l. Have you heard "Just wanna be your girl" by perempay & dee? Shivers my spine...

still love this one. shocking. i love how icy/grimey the melody line is... i can't think of another Perempay and Dee song at all like it, but i def stopped following them cos i just got too frustrated trying... more tunes like this!

wise

bare BARE BONES
or you could say its got its own sound

Yeah that's fine all genres have their own sound but usually there's more distinction between the individual producers 'sounds' within that genre. That's what appeals to me at least.
I like the hypeness of bassline but I tried listening to your recent mix and had to turn it off after 15 mins or so as the tunes just got too samey. Always basically the same bassline sound. I like variety.
Anyway this is way off topic, and really just a difference of opinion.

luka

yeah i think that my favourite ive heard really franz... and the guy on mic is not annoying like some other people

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Okay, as promised here are my favourites from the tunes that I've heard on recent funky mixes and that weren't already familiar to me -

Vocal tunes
Cream of the crop:
Dubplate Wonder ft Ava B – Tell Me Why
Digital Dubstar ft Miss Fire – Can’t Say No
Code Red ft Lauren Mason – The Boss
Addictive – Domino Effect (O.B Funky remix) [I know this one’s been around quite a long time]

Honourable mentions:
Princess Nyah – Hooligans
Funkystepz ft Lilly McKenzie – Bounce/For U
J Labels ft Naughty Naz – Touch Me
Ibe ft Tia Mae – Sweet Love
Dennis Ferrer ft someone-or-other – Hey Hey

Instrumental/semi-instrumental stuff
Cream of the crop:
Bassboy and Marcus Nasty – Shitta
Bassboy and Marcus Nasty ft Cad – Let’s Get Nasty
Madone (Devine Recordings) – My House; When, Where
Lil Silva – Dope Style
JP Styla – Gabryelle Storm [A remix, obv]

Honourable mentions [pretty f-in long list...]:
Devine Recordings – Tribal Daydream
Champion – Motherboard
Naughty Raver – Sticks and Stones
Smoove Kriminal – Roller
Seany B – Deep in the Sound; Bass Release
Money Anderson – Acute Taste
Madone (Devine Recordings) – Never Coming Out 2; Night Train
Murdz86 (Devine Recordings) – Funk Attack
LR Groove – Step By Step; Key
Dark Mountain Group – Lose Control
Funkystepz – Just Dance
Caliber – Tribalisum
Deep Teknologi – Anthem
Perempay and Dee – Kick Start
Mista Dee – Amazons Soul
Lil Silva – Heartbeat
Greyman – Blackberry Music

MC Tracks
Cream of the Crop:
Funkystepz ft Black Biscuit – Skanking The Hardest [Feeling this one heavily!]
Champion ft Sharky, Trilla etc – Swagger Affair [tho the chorus is a weak point]

Honourable mentions:
Madone (Devine Recordings) – People Keep Dancing
Ill Blu – Rider [More of a ‘singjay’ thing perhaps]
Slick Don – Freestyle [On that Larizzle mix, dunno the riddim]
Undisputed ft Mr M – Dash Down

Last edited:

luka

thank you for your contribution andy.
luka i reckon youd love this song.
but andy, you need to listen to ossie baba again... listen to the beats on that... hes on another level with the beats
get it off the laptop and onto some real speakers... kills it dead./

well id better listen to it then.... i will let you know.
oh yeah, i listened to it.. it was good i liked it....
thank you gumdrops!

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Greenmoney don't tend to get mentioned much on here, but I like these two mixes...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
but andy, you need to listen to ossie baba again... listen to the beats on that... hes on another level with the beats
get it off the laptop and onto some real speakers... kills it dead./

Oh cool, that's genuinely excellent. This was the first music I listened to today and I reckon it was a good way to start.
The beats are great. :)

luka

isnt it just. he is on another plane. if he keeps it london theres no one with more potential.