1000 albums to hear before you die in The Guardian

petergunn

plywood violin
Or it may just be that the Guardian writers - some of whom clearly know and like their hip hop, however much it hurts your preconceptions to admit it - prefer Iron Man, as do others here.

also, i am american and have read the guardian about 10 times in my life, so i dn't really have preconceptions about it...

i can just recognize lazy music writing when i see it....

muser

i am impressed with the reggae/dancehall selection, black uhru, eek a mouse, big youth, if they leave out bob marley and have yellowman (i thought they had but remembered m hasnt come yet) then respect!

gumdrops

alexis petridis never edited hip hop connection! i think he worked for some dance mags, not HHC though.

the R&B choices are a bit weird - are brandy's second album or aaliyahs third *really* good albums? great singles, of course, but not sure about anything more than that. these lists should allow for best ofs or greatest hits albums cos sometimes those are the artists' best albums.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
this was mainly my point. lots of good reggae included. inexplicably no til shiloh by buju banton, still they can make up for that with black woman and child or royal son of ethiopia by sizzla

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i am impressed with the reggae/dancehall selection, black uhru, eek a mouse, big youth, if they leave out bob marley and have yellowman (i thought they had but remembered m hasnt come yet) then respect!

yep, plus bad brains, black flag, crass, fugazi

dave, i too was very suprised that 'til shiloh wasn't there

in addition john harris makes a tit of himself again

stelfox

Beast of Burden
oh i'm not surprised at all. this is further fuel for my conviction that buju is the most underrated reggae artist ever.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oh i'm not surprised at all. this is further fuel for my conviction that buju is the most underrated reggae artist ever.

:)

i was actually- the reggae selection is the best i've seen from a mainstream mag/paper in a long time, a little obvious perhaps, but if you were a newcomer you'd pick up some fine records based on those suggested. the reason i was surprised is because buju started the consciousness renaissance and 'til shiloh is a proper album and i thought the grauniad might pick up on that.

crackerjack

this was mainly my point. lots of good reggae included. inexplicably no til shiloh by buju banton, still they can make up for that with black woman and child or royal son of ethiopia by sizzla

It would be interesting if they did, if only to witness the PC storm that would break over their heads if they put a Buju album in there.

are brandy's second album or aaliyahs third *really* good albums?

Any album with Try Again and We Need A Resolution is good enough. They've got the wrong Brandy album though - should've been Afrodisiac.

gabriel

The Heatwave
it's definitely not pc to like buju banton is it, lol. i've never liked til shiloh much though, don't like buju's reggae/singing stuff really. am surprised that sizzla makes it in there, i thought the guardian only acknowledged him as a violent homophobe rather than one of the greatest recording artists of all time.

in general though, i do find these lists kind of pointless, or i dunno, maybe that's not the word, but arguing about what makes it in/doesn't make it, does certainly seem pointless. though discussing why some things get in/don't get in seems kind of interesting still

gumdrops

buju was even on jools holland at one point. that if nothing else should have secured his place in there!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i am surprised that sizzla makes it in there, i thought the guardian only acknowledged him as a violent homophobe rather than one of the greatest recording artists of all time.

the 'S's haven't been done yet.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, buju started it, but you're forgetting the ongoing conspiracy to overlook buju's vital contribution to dancehall and conscious reggae by badminded sizzla fans.
this campaign has been so successful that most people now credit sizzla with most of buju's achievements and i'm hardly surprised that the mainstream press has fallen prey to it, because most people who profess to be genuine reggae fans have, too.
i think the reggae choices overall, though, have been great and i'd have picked many of the same things had i been voting in this poll.
with things like this you want the big hitters, really, given that it's for the general public, not weirdoes like you (and me!).

gabriel

The Heatwave
ah i see, i now see stelfox said they CAN make up for it rather than they have. oh well i doubt they'll have any sizzla in there in that case... annoyingly the list iteself on that link seems to be some kind of image that i can't see on my work computer so haven't actually seen any of the list.

EDIT: i've now foudn it, was being slow, slightly lost the sense of this conversation now as well :)

Last edited:
alexis petridis never edited hip hop connection! i think he worked for some dance mags, not HHC though.

can i REALLY have dreamt this??? the horror :mad:

i'm tempted to draw for the back issues (full of holes where i used to cut out the flicks!)

but it's probably just mixed up in the brain soup with some contemporaneous dance mag.