pimp c of ugk - RIP

zhao

there are no accidents
god damn it. i was so looking forward to more from those 2 O.G.'s. fuck. what a waste... no cause yet? article says "investigation under way"... :(:(:(:(:(

stelfox

Beast of Burden
quit kidding around and quit inferring that it's drugs until the results are through. neither are cool. as it so happens, there is nothing to suggest that this is a drug-related death, either.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I know you are joking but-
the cause of death is not known yet.
This sort of joke about a dead producer/musician and rapper only serves to perpetuate a stereotype.

also there is a good interview with pimp c here :
http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/

Having many relapses into drug use perpetrates a stereotype of Drug use more than me making a reference about him purple dranking himself to death. If the toxicology report comes back and he didn't have anything in his system I'll be fucking shocked.

And seeing as I doubt any of Pimp C's immediate family or friends read Dissensus.com regularly, being insensitive isn't really an issue.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Would his having died of a drug overdose be so very shameful? What's the alternative? 'Foul play' would be worse, surely.

'Natural causes' is a joke, as Zhao said upthread. How many people of 33 do you know who just keel over and die?

Just don't understand this 'oh goodness me, he wasn't that type' attitude when someone mentioned that drugs might've been involved. So, dying of drugs = bad, shameful death now, does it? It would be a waste, sure, but so would any other reason for him dying.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Sounded a bit flip didn't it?

Nothing inherently wrong with getting hit by a car while riding a bike but a comment like `Maybe global warming wasnt so bad after all' would sound offensive.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Having many relapses into drug use perpetrates a stereotype of Drug use more than me making a reference about him purple dranking himself to death. If the toxicology report comes back and he didn't have anything in his system I'll be fucking shocked.

And seeing as I doubt any of Pimp C's immediate family or friends read Dissensus.com regularly, being insensitive isn't really an issue.

I am pretty sure that you have no idea who reads dissensus and it is insensitive. I am also fairly certain that you have no idea what Pimp C's medical history is or what he takes. I would be surprised that the toxicology report does not come back clean. What one rhyme's about is not necessarily what they do in real life.

The fact is.
Pimp C was a very talented, producer,singer and mc that affected a lot of peoples lives for good. If he died of lean or not, this is the legacy he left. Focusing on his drug use in the past is what the tabloids and press do in devaluing the contributions of young, talented black men to the culture of in the US.

But i am not going to argue any further about this.

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah i dont think making an insinuation that he might have been taking drugs before he died is that insensitive or inappropriate here - its PIMP C after all. he wasnt exactly a puritan in that (or any) area. whether he did coke or not, i dont know. something else though ('tussin' for one), i wouldnt be too shocked. but im still waiting to hear the exact circumstances of how he died - nothing so far ive read has been very detailed.

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
yeah i dont think making an insinuation that he might have been taking drugs before he died is that insensitive or inappropriate here - its PIMP C after all. he wasnt exactly a puritan in that (or any) area. whether he did coke or not, i dont know. something else though ('tussin' for one), i wouldnt be too shocked. but im still waiting to hear the exact circumstances of how he died - nothing so far ive read has been very detailed.

Well until the facts are in - why joke? I know what it is like to lose someone to drugs( My brother) and flippant jokes about it don't really open up real talk on the matter.

N

nomadologist

Well until the facts are in - why joke? I know what it is like to lose someone to drugs( My brother) and flippant jokes about it don't really open up real talk on the matter.

I'm sorry to hear this. You are right--it is entirely uncalled for to speculate about how and why this man died, especially in a way that is meant to defame his character.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
I'm sorry to hear this. You are right--it is entirely uncalled for to speculate about how and why this man died, especially in a way that is meant to defame his character.

Thank you , I have dealt with it pretty much, so it does not affect me as much as it used to.

You are right I think that speculating on how he died defames this man's character to a certain extent. So what we do know for certain - he is dead and people close to him are not really in position to defend him right now and we don't know the facts as to how he died.

If people want to talk about how destructive codeine can be, that can be done with respect which would open up true dialogue on the issue.

As it is, whether Pimp C died of lean or not he left a great legacy of music, song and poetry that goes well beyond UGK or the Southern US.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I see what you're saying, but....

Thank you , I have dealt with it pretty much, so it does not affect me as much as it used to.

You are right I think that speculating on how he died defames this man's character to a certain extent. So what we do know for certain - he is dead and people close to him are not really in position to defend him right now and we don't know the facts as to how he died.

If people want to talk about how destructive codeine can be, that can be done with respect which would open up true dialogue on the issue.

As it is, whether Pimp C died of lean or not he left a great legacy of music, song and poetry that goes well beyond UGK or the Southern US.

It just goes to show you how some aspects of our culture are detrimental to our healths and well being yet and still we continue doing them. Sizzurp, Lean, Codeine, etc. has contributed to the early deaths of so many Houston and Memphis Hip Hop artists that it's time to really think about stopping doing it altogether.

Provided that the whole Chopped N' Screwed sound was mostly influenced by the simulated effects of a codeine high but isn't that what ultimately contributed to DJ Screw's early demise as well?

I completely understand where you're coming from dubble-u-c, but enough is e-fuckin' nough...Pimp C was one year older than me and he'd been making records since I was in high school. There is NO reason that man should be dead...he had another 10 good albums in him at least.

Rest In Eternal Peace, Pimp C

One.

gumdrops

i think you guys are getting a bit overprotective with this - its sad, yes, but hes still a public figure. no ones being outright disrespectful, were just speculating. joking is a bit off, yes, but the facts will come in soon enough and well know exactly what happened. well i hope so anyway. in the meantime, i think its okay to talk about this, and that it MIGHT have been drug related (ive no idea what sort of stuff pimp c was into in his private life though so who knows) - were all fans here.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
i think you guys are getting a bit overprotective with this - its sad, yes, but hes still a public figure. no ones being outright disrespectful, were just speculating. joking is a bit off, yes, but the facts will come in soon enough and well know exactly what happened. well i hope so anyway. in the meantime, i think its okay to talk about this, and that it MIGHT have been drug related (ive no idea what sort of stuff pimp c was into in his private life though so who knows) - were all fans here.
No one is saying it's not cool to talk about it.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
It just goes to show you how some aspects of our culture are detrimental to our healths and well being yet and still we continue doing them. Sizzurp, Lean, Codeine, etc. has contributed to the early deaths of so many Houston and Memphis Hip Hop artists that it's time to really think about stopping doing it altogether.

Provided that the whole Chopped N' Screwed sound was mostly influenced by the simulated effects of a codeine high but isn't that what ultimately contributed to DJ Screw's early demise as well?

I completely understand where you're coming from dubble-u-c, but enough is e-fuckin' nough...Pimp C was one year older than me and he'd been making records since I was in high school. There is NO reason that man should be dead...he had another 10 good albums in him at least.

Rest In Eternal Peace, Pimp C

One.

Well I agree with you dude i do. I think it's especially tragic if he died from the effects of drugs. But we don't know yet how he died.
However, enough is enough- I agree.
The glamourization of drugs and drug dealing really do need to be addressed within the rap/hip hop community in a constructive way.