mixed_biscuits

This is terrorism.

But sadly, for the Jewish people, it’s not new.

This attack has brought to the surface painful memories and the scars left by a millennia of antisemitism and genocide of the Jewish people.

mixed_biscuits

I don't understand what Hamas were hoping to gain from their 'act of sheer evil' (Biden) given the predictability of the US response; they're clearly going to be in a far worse position once the dust has settled

vimothy

yurp
perhaps they were hoping to provoke a massive retaliation, ground invasion of the Gaza strip and a regional war involving Israel and its neighbours.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it would be better not to care at all than to 'care' in the way you do
If you can quote a post here or in any other thread where I've expressed or even implied support for Hamas's targeting of civilians, they by all means do so and I will eat my hat. And I know that you know that I own several hats.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you can quote a post here or in any other thread where I've expressed or even implied support for Hamas's targeting of civilians, they by all means do so and I will eat my hat. And I know that you know that I own several hats.
So that's a no, then.

vimothy

yurp
this feels like a 9/11 type event, where the shock of the atrocities committed by Hamas justify for israel an overwhelming response, and the international community is largely in agreement.

version

this feels like a 9/11 type event, where the shock of the atrocities committed by Hamas justify for israel an overwhelming response, and the international community is largely in agreement.

You'd hope people had learned something from that, but evidently not.

Hardly. China's barely said a word, Russia was probably involved, Qatar wants to cut oil. The international community is 5 eyes and the western part of the EU. And India.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If there's any truth to these reports that Egypt warned Israel but was ignored - and in fact even if there isn't, because these things don't depend on truth, but on belief - then I wonder if a 9/11 Truther-type movement will arise, blaming the Israeli government for deliberately allowing this to happen.

vimothy

yurp
Hardly. China's barely said a word, Russia was probably involved, Qatar wants to cut oil. The international community is 5 eyes and the western part of the EU. And India.
either way, israel now has a "window of legitimacy" in terms of its peers, or those states who it considers its peers, and it is using that window to maximum effect

If there's any truth to these reports that Egypt warned Israel but was ignored - and in fact even if there isn't, because these things don't depend on truth, but on belief - then I wonder if a 9/11 Truther-type movement will arise, blaming the Israeli government for deliberately allowing this to happen.
I was going to mention that a couple of days ago, at the same time as the rumor about the rave being relocated to that location 48 hours before the event, but that's going to be hard to prove.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, now that you mention it, I did happen to be wearing my "Hyper-Racist" t-shirt during that zoom session.
Are you sure the exchange didn't just go like this:

You: "Professor, what can you tell us about how government 'spooks' in the 1960s monitored radical activity by groups of uppity [slur]s, [slur]s and [slur]s?"

Prof: "How dare you use that racist language!"

You: [internally] "Damn, the word 'spook' must be super racist, I guess."

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Are you sure the exchange didn't just go like this:

You: "Professor, what can you tell us about how government 'spooks' in the 1960s monitored radical activity by groups of uppity [slur]s, [slur]s and [slur]s?"

Prof: "How dare you use that racist language!"

You: [internally] "Damn, the word 'spook' must be super racist, I guess."
Were you auditing that course?!