New Jungle Tekno

Pestario

tell your friends
Had a listen, I guess they're achieving their goal of replicating the sound but it all sounds a bit underwhelming.

They would probably be more successful if they didn't explicitly say that they were trying revive that sound. If they just put these tracks out there, bored music fans on the internet could discuss an apparant grassroots revival of 'jungle-techno' and create publicity that way.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
would this be rightly called a "rockist" stance?

Not from my point of view no, I was just commenting on the tracks as thoughts were asked for, I don't think there's anything rockist about that. If I thought they were any good I would have said so. I don't really understand what you're asking.

mixed_biscuits

The fact is that these recent-retro initiatives, unlike with the White Stripes, can involve the original protagonists and so are truly revivals rather than mere pastiche.

And, as Panacea has shown with 92/93 rave, there is always room for improvement:
http://www.catapult.co.uk/products/Vinyl/Nu Rave%2FOld Skool/Winter+Mute

zhao

there are no accidents
Not from my point of view no, I was just commenting on the tracks as thoughts were asked for, I don't think there's anything rockist about that. If I thought they were any good I would have said so. I don't really understand what you're asking.

i guess more what Lazybones said than what you said:

what exactly is the point?? this is like the nuum equiv of the white stripes....or worse .....

by rockist i mean interpreting early 90s jungle as a non-repeatable quasi-divine occurrence full of original and somehow authentic energy, and that any attempts at re-creating it can only be wank.

i might agree with that actually, but whatever gimmicky verbiage the label puts down, i don't think this is that much of an attempt to recreate as mapping that sound palette to a slightly different frame.

i just kinda lumped the 2 comments together and assumed you both were coming from the same place. but i get it, you just ain't feelin da trax. word. :)

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
"Techno moves fast, always has. It's the genre's boon and its bane. To borrow a phrase from post-punk, techno's a speed trial, though not so much for its beats, but its turnover. The music industry may be slumping, but house and techno's deluge of new material continues unabated, fast and furious as ever. To get a sense of the genre's cruising speed, just spend a few weeks reading the Hot 100 Sales chart on the website of the German vinyl mailorder retailer Decks.de. Updated every week, and tracking sales over a three-week span, the chart's turnover is mind-numbing. Few records last more than two or three weeks before being displaced by new entries. No wonder that over the course of a given DJ's set, I might only identify a handful of tunes, despite the fact that this is a genre I devote most of my waking hours to. The pace of techno's output is like capitalism on speed, with innumerable, virtually identical products hitting the market in quick succession. Along the way, there are the interpretations, the innovations and the occasional improvement-- and that's why we keep listening. The rest of it is churn."
p.sherburne

i think this group of people would fall into the category of people with no ideas... i don't understand what the point is in making music that is simply a complete re-hash ... i mean they call it techno jungle or whatever but it to me it sounds like a rubbish hardcore record. it might have been interesting if it employed elements from new nuum' ideas/production/ or indeed shown some sort of acknowledgement of the fact that 2step/dnb/dubstep have happened. or perhaps picked up on interesting techno strands that occured after 1993.... it just sounds so stale , pointless and dull to me.

some people have gone back to old(er) strands of music that are dormant and come up with intereting records. i feel that these producers have added something that never really cross pollinated with said genres during their "active" period. eg burial / 2step , r&s / dub , audion / acid house to me these guys are what BRMC are to Jesus and the mary chain to hardcore.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thanks lazybones, I always feel weird posting negativity on here cos I got told off for it, but you summed it up better than I could. I like the idea - there's so much stuff to be got from hardcore, jungle, from everywhere, but this one listens like a concept before a genesis, and that's just void in my book. And that's not to say the concept is rubbish, it's not, but if you try and make something after you've thought about it, generally in my book it's a stillbirth.

And I DO like the idea of creating something that's a re-hash - I've had some completely, utterly time-travel experiences with rockabilly bands - but you have to put the past energy into it if you want to do that, literally step inside a past time. It's much harder to do than to think about.

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Altough these tunes are re-creating the past, I think the idea has potential if used right. You can do some foward thinking music in 140-150bpm with 4x4 kicks, breakbeats and a sub bass! And this is just the fond, where you can add the house, dubstep or whatever influences as the label's description suggests.

When first reading a post about this project, I was really interested because the idea of 'Jungle Tekno' is still waaaay unexplored. I just hope producers really start to experimenting, not just re-creating the old.

zhao

there are no accidents
this is less of a "re-hash" than some break-core stuff though, which keeps the same 80/160 tempo, and uses the same amen breaks.

whether these 2 tracks are successful or not (i personally like them), this idea surely has loads of potential. would you disagree?

some sort of acknowledgement of the fact that 2step/dnb/dubstep have happened.

i'm sure ideas and influences from these areas will come soon enough if this thing gets going.

bassnation

the abyss
Er - no. Most breaks tunes clock in at 130-140bpm.

Also - the default speed for jungle/D+B hovered around 160 for yeeeaars.

160 was a bit fast for darkcore - most of the stuff i've got from 1993 clocks in at sub-160bpm speeds. actually the fact it sped up so quickly in such a short time (from 1991 house speeds) makes it difficult to play a set spanning a wide variety of hardcore and jungle. i wonder if theres any other kind of music that has this characteristic.

Blip

To be blunt: I am not sure I like the idea, and I am sure I don't like the music on that myspace page. It kinda of made dubstep wobble-by-numbers sound fresh.

Now, producing at slower tempos without the "good old days" rhetoric could be good.

zhao

there are no accidents
what about the new Rob Smith album? what do people think about that? exactly in this slow jungle vein. if anyone has not heard i can put up a track

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I think the idea has potential if used right. You can do some forward thinking music in 140-150bpm with 4x4 kicks, breakbeats and a sub bass! And this is just the fond, where you can add the house, dubstep or whatever influences as the label's description suggests.

When first reading a post about this project, I was really interested because the idea of 'Jungle Tekno' is still waaaay unexplored. I just hope producers really start to experimenting, not just re-creating the old.

good post
there are still plenty of possibilities in dnb at its original tempo
xyxthumbs.gif

PS what's with all the nuum bollocks on the forum lately?
rotfl.gif

cutups

There's definitely a whole area to be further explored along these lines. To some degree folks like Trouble & Bass, Kanji Kinetic, L-Vis, AC Slater etc. are doing this. Then there's also the contingent of folks trying to re-create faithful oldskool hardcore style stuff like Darkus, Nervous, Amnexiac, etc.

I'm def stoked to hear more people explore the territory with less limits on form.