New Jungle Tekno

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
by rockist i mean interpreting early 90s jungle as a non-repeatable quasi-divine occurrence full of original and somehow authentic energy, and that any attempts at re-creating it can only be wank.

i might agree with that actually, but whatever gimmicky verbiage the label puts down, i don't think this is that much of an attempt to recreate as mapping that sound palette to a slightly different frame.
I think the difference between what this is (or could be) and White Stripes-esque revivalism (and I'm not sure that the White Stripes are that good an example, really, they're quite capable of entertaining large numbers of people who don't know or give a shit about crackly old blues records - serious blues bores playing in pubs are probably closer to the mark) is that it's not about picking an older music that you claim was a high water mark and the best you can do is emulate it as faithfully and authentically as possible, it's about feeling that an earlier music had potential to develop in different and better directions and go back to that place as a starting point to develop something new.

The weirdness for me comes from the fact that this, and Naphta's thing, and other similar stuff, seem to be trying to engineer a scene based on what a few producers want to do. So at the moment it kind of seems like someone shouting into a vacuum. It'll be interesting to see if anyone does manage to produce a scene that's self-sustaining or coopt part of an existing one (eg by starting to mix stuff with dubstep or breaks). I guess this is a time when that sort of thing could happen, given the slightly drifty open-ended feel that the rave diaspora's got into at the moment...

zhao

there are no accidents
trying to engineer a scene based on what a few producers want to do. So at the moment it kind of seems like someone shouting into a vacuum.

it is a bit self conscious innit. not exactly the spontaneous collective frenzied activity of a new scene erupting...

djnaphta

it is a bit self conscious innit. not exactly the spontaneous collective frenzied activity of a new scene erupting...

well... I think you night be surprised at how often 'scenes' develop out of conscious initiatives by a bunch of like-minded people whoo get together and do their thing cos they don't like what's on offer out there...

when you're part of the origins of any scene, you see exactly who's an original player, and who just joins in later because they see a group and like its buzz or want to be associated with it..

but newcomers often ascribe semi-mystical origins to such music movements or scenes afterwards, whereas the reality can be different: somewhat more calculated than I suspect the prevalent nuum thing on here suggests ;)

further, I'm inclined to think that the old 'nuum' model of scene development no longer really applies in a world with internet...?

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
That 'hardcore house' ep is just too polished tho isnt it? far to competant to be 'hardcore'

Just seems kinda redundant, all the elements for 'Jungle Tekno' already exist in loads of differant records, u just needa dig and play the right stuff together, play some Baltimore/Philly club tunes b2b with some 'fidgit' & niche beats, throw in an occasional 'classic', pitch some rap / rnb up n away u go!

Pestario

tell your friends
djnaphta said:
further, I'm inclined to think that the old 'nuum' model of scene development no longer really applies in a world with internet...?

I agree. The internet provides a pool of information which anyone can take from, contribute or influence in ways less hindered by geography, social circles etc resulting in progression in any and all directions - in theory at least.

djnaphta

That 'hardcore house' ep is just too polished tho isnt it? far to competant to be 'hardcore'

Have you ever checked any old Basment Records..?

Plenty of it sounded very clean and quite polished, esp. the more 4-2-the-floor stuff... eg. Kev Bird and Wax Doctor

:D

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away

icon28XX.gif

subvert47

:slanted: This is getting a bit old now isnt it Statto?

Please explain the joke.

I guess it's a personal thing. The "nuum" is one of the most ridiculous concepts I've ever heard, and that people are discussing it as though it was something serious just creases me up. Especially when I've got in from the pub. Sorry.

:)

D

droid

I guess it's a personal thing. The "nuum" is one of the most ridiculous concepts I've ever heard, and that people are discussing it as though it was something serious just creases me up. Especially when I've got in from the pub. Sorry.

:)

The idea of continuum's in music in general or just in rave/jungle etc?

I dont see whats ridiculous about the concept to be honest. Its just tracing the lines of connection between genres and artists. Just like there'd be a rock 'continuum', a punk/post punk 'continuum' or a hip-hop 'continuum...'

Theres far too much inarticulate and blanket Nuum bashing going on around here at the moment for my liking! :cool:

subvert47

The idea of continuum's in music in general or just in rave/jungle etc?

I dont see whats ridiculous about the concept to be honest. Its just tracing the lines of connection between genres and artists. Just like there'd be a rock 'continuum', a punk/post punk 'continuum' or a hip-hop 'continuum...'

Theres far too much inarticulate and blanket Nuum bashing going on around here at the moment for my liking! :cool:

Well, actually the "nuum" is getting me inarticulate. OK, it has a little merit in a journalistic sense: making connections between, drawing lines from one thing to another in a vague sort of way, while hardly new, can be worth an article or two maybe.

But to impose the "nuum" on every discussion (as seems to be happening here at the moment) to reduce every interesting topic to its relation to, its position in the "nuum", as though it was some major critical paradigm, is really starting to get on my tits.

:mad:

Chris

fractured oscillations
Has anyone heard that Skynet Uk track "Back to 89", Calverton remix (that you can hear right here)? That actually sounds more like "Back to 92"?

...this thread kind of reminded me of it. With all the Acieeed rivivals going on for so long now, kinda nice to hear manic Ardcore sounds re-surfacing, and I'm sure early Jungle is soon to follow more soon...