The Wire is over - discussion, spoilers inside

luka

3 is action packed. the dialouge only starts getting bearable at 3. in 1 its excreuciating.

luka

why you like 2 so much, 2 is shit. those comedy eastern european gangsters. fuck 2! i hate 2!

luka

i haven't watched 4 yet but all my firends said its very boring.
but we'll see. dont tell me waht happens.

luka

those 2 dopey cousins! how can you like those characters. i like stringer bell and colvin. i swear you lot dont understand good writing!
the way those two stories played out. let me tell you the moral of the story. dont try and think outside the box, if youre living inside a box.
i loved how they twinned those two mens fates.

luka

2 is just some trite bollocks about the collapse of the trade unions, and comedy eastern eurpoean gangsters. sergei you know! god help us!

crackerjack

why you like 2 so much

Because Frank Sobotka is a tragihero, doing the wrong things for all the right reasons.

Because Ziggy is a comedy genius

Because it introduces Brother Mouzone and puts flesh on Omar's (superhero) character.

Because Stringer comes into his own (printing shop)

Because Amy Ryan is waaaaay cute

Because the scene where McNulty spends hours in forensics proving where the girls died just to piss off Rawls is just fucking timeless. As is his visit to the whorehouse.

Don't make me go on, I've got work to do.

luka

and ive got to get to bed. but i don't agree. i didn't warm to those charcters at all. but agree absolutely that omar is a superhero/mythical character.
brother mousaone i thinkk is a silly charcter though. good for a laugh but thats about it.
i'll think i'll give up dissensus tommorow, although i'd like to have this discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

crackerjack

and ive got to get to bed. but i don't agree. i didn't warm to those charcters at all. but agree absolutely that omar is a superhero/mythical character.
brother mousaone i thinkk is a silly charcter though. good for a laugh but thats about it.
i'll think i'll give up dissensus tommorow, although i'd like to have this discussion.

don't give up dissensus just as you're starting to learn something. That would be madness.

nochexxx

harco pronting
as i mentioned earlier in this thread i also didn't buy into the greeks or bro mouzone, but despite these character flaws i still felt season two was the second most compelling season.

crackerjack

as i mentioned earlier in this thread i also didn't buy into the greeks or bro mouzone, but despite these character flaws i still felt season two was the second most compelling season.

BM is obviously a bit cartoonish, not meant to be taken too seriously.

But I like the way the Greeks are done - too cool to worry, they've got all ends covered.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
david simon slumming it at harvard with Venkatesh (gang leader for a day)

http://www.iop.harvard.edu/Multimed...re-A-Compelling-Portrayal-of-an-American-City

That moderator guy is just fucking brutal. He looks like he's got a shrunken head.

FWIW:

3 - as far as TV goes, this is just fucked
4 - moving, good shift of focus from the bureaucracy to something more human and generative
1 - good comparison between the administrations of both the police force and the criminal structure
2 - not good as a second season. kind of took the buzz off what was established in the first season. some good bits tho, just not as many as I was hoping for
5 - a little unbelievable and ridiculous. disappointing.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
and respect to the guy who brought up why omar got done by the little hopper.

i have only seen - as i say up-thread - the first two episodes of season 1, and bits of another season 1 episode later in the series.

am i to assume that the information regarding Obama's favourite character Omar is what they call a spoiler?
i should probably pay attention to the thread title :D

god damn that Omar was a cool cat from the one bit i saw.

i like Bunk and Stringer Bell and McNulty and Greggs thus far. there's a brilliantly done arrest scene with Herc and his partner in the first episode and McNulty's boss chewing him out over talking to the judge is done well in the first episode or two, and the aftermath of Herc and his partner and that stupid cop who pistol whips a young man during a disturbance the cops initiate in some high-rise is superb with that lieutenant (who seems very interesting) putting words in their mouth for the internal affairs people.

and i rather fancy Greggs, although i fear i am the wrong gender for her, just, yunno, for starters.

sorry, just to bring the discussion down several notches..