2562 - Aerial

zhao

there are no accidents
And it's weird but even though everyone claims to love it I've seen 'Kameleon' kill dance floors on a couple of occasions.

kill as in empty yes? i doubt i would ever drop one of the tunes from the album. well maybe at 8 PM when people are still digesting their dinners...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can see what people mean about 2562's tunes being very clean and cold. The Patti Blingh tune is probably the most soulful tune I've heard by him.

Still a great producer though IMO.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
i've seen it totally light up the dancefloor on several occasions as well :) depends on the set construction innit.
It does yeah. And of course it's not the sort of tune that a crowd looking for an instant wibble fix will always go nuts for. It was just something that I noticed. 'Got any dubstep mate?' ;)

Anyway dubstep as a whole has too much variety to risk falling into a taste crevice just yet.

mms

sometimes
basin dub is one of the best tunes i've heard for ages, effortlessly beautiful

check the patty bling 'brother' remix MMS, you'd probably like it. almost hip hop-esque lilting beats glued together by the vocal.. in fact you should have it already as there's the samiyam remix on the flip

ys i like that patty bling it's the best thing he done - yes i got it. the full album, just got lots of things in it that annoy me, you can hear the ott boomkat description or the overblown empty ma hobbs intro in yr head, bless her leather booties. tasteful, state of the art, empty.
wish dubstep would become less tasteful - i want more dub, more instrumental smear and dirt, more combinations of sounds that really get a mood or point across instead of a digital state of the art relaxant that just makes the listener feel comfortable that they're in the right place they done the right thing, they're winning the style wars...

bassnation

the abyss
people have been saying that for years. if it's become too tasteful for you, it has nothing to do with trip hop.

i think the techno influenced stuff was a necessary reaction to shite wobblers, but now we need a reaction to the overly mannered and tasteful techno fusion stuff. don't really understand why people can't do peak time energy AND dark twisted trippiness all at the same time.

Client Eastwood

^^ id say aerial has these elements in movern, channel two and techno dread. i view it as a collection of tracks rather than a linear listening experience tho. and the downbeat tracks are in there to serve a different mood.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
wish dubstep would become less tasteful - i want more dub, more instrumental smear and dirt, more combinations of sounds that really get a mood or point across instead of a digital state of the art relaxant that just makes the listener feel comfortable that they're in the right place they done the right thing, they're winning the style wars...

at the moment i would say that style-wars/ones-to-watch/cool wise, those new school splatt-hop kingpins that we all rate are really what it's about right now :eek: if anything, clean greyscale seems deeply unfashionable right now in london. although I don't agree that this is what 2562 is at all.. despite there actually being a tune on the LP called greyscale, haha..

bassnation said:
don't really understand why people can't do peak time energy AND dark twisted trippiness all at the same time.

there are a lot of people doing this, do you go out to nights or listen to radio much? what's being released by and large doesn't really reflect what's happening at the moment. the front pages of most online record shops stocking dubstep mean very little to me right now. hundreds of mediocre tunes that i've never heard in raves by people i've never heard of.

a few tunes that sum up what i think you may be looking for are geiom's 4x4 reminiscing remix and kode 9's version, both of which will be out soon, and martyn's broken heart remix.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
at the moment i would say that style-wars/ones-to-watch/cool wise, those new school splatt-hop kingpins that we all rate are really what it's about right now :eek: if anything, clean greyscale seems deeply unfashionable right now in london. although I don't agree that this is what 2562 is at all.. despite there actually being a tune on the LP called greyscale, haha..

a few tunes that sum up what i think you may be looking for are geiom's 4x4 reminiscing remix and kode 9's version, both of which will be out soon, and martyn's broken heart remix.

martyns track gets the smeary hazy balance and the clean techno bits right - that's a perfect record in any genre imo .

dunno nuffink about splatt hop honest guv.

bassnation

the abyss
there are a lot of people doing this, do you go out to nights or listen to radio much? what's being released by and large doesn't really reflect what's happening at the moment. the front pages of most online record shops stocking dubstep mean very little to me right now. hundreds of mediocre tunes that i've never heard in raves by people i've never heard of.

ha ha, busted. no, i'm an old man, i don't make it to clubs very often these days (thats discounting the incredible e'd up blast of a night i had unexpectedly and spontaneously at plastic people listening to kenny larkin take the fucking roof off with brain-melting acid house). i listen to rinse tho and your show (which I like) and i also rate your label too. but there is a lot of ineffectual stuff out there which is tipping too far into the trip hop / idm axis in my books but what do i know?

will look out for those!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
but there is a lot of ineffectual stuff out there which is tipping too far into the trip hop / idm axis in my books but what do i know?

yeah i agree it exists, but it's not really going anywhere and i think there's more pressing things to worry about. trip hop comparisons just touch a nerve unfortunately. it's like something the observer music monthly would talk about with enthusiam. 'IDM' is more on the money I think.

that kenny larkin night sounds great :)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
yeah i agree it exists, but it's not really going anywhere and i think there's more pressing things to worry about. trip hop comparisons just touch a nerve unfortunately. it's like something the observer music monthly would talk about with enthusiam. 'IDM' is more on the money I think.

that kenny larkin night sounds great :)

what's new though you get alot of wishy washy stuff in any genre, unfortunately as a clodding whole it's acceptable as it definitely fits in as an easy listen, bland balm for the troubled mind etc.
As for dissing trip hop - you might as well diss any genre - at it's core and creative, trip hop was great, esp when it had meaningful mcees and singers. Say comparing early Tricky to Kode 9 and Spaceape would be a compliment! There is plenty of bland shite anywhere!

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah i know but its reputation is such that whenever people mention it i assume their tone is kinda sneering and condescending.. a mistake probably! but it does seem to have gradually become a watchword for all things bland. almost to the extent that it doesn't even feel like 'trip hop' refers to music at all anymore. i wouldn't really be comfortable talking about tricky in that bracket, because he doesn't seem to have any relevance to the way people use it in conversation these days.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
yeah i know but its reputation is such that whenever people mention it i assume their tone is kinda sneering and condescending.. a mistake probably!

well it's starting to turn a corner - 10 years after innit - good new album from portishead - massive attack do a GREAT festival curation - return of leila - return of tricky - trickys new stuff seems shite tho.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
sorry all my posts in this thread have been edit-fests

even with new portishead, hasn't everyone been quite keen to distance the new stuff from the old? i haven't really heard anyone talking about trip hop with reference to the new album.. i haven't heard it but some people have been quite positive about it - maybe if the album was totally duff people would more readily dismiss it as tired old fashioned 'trip-hop revival' stuff? but as maybe its quite good, they're 'forging past restrictive genre limitations and eschewing tired trip hop cliché' or something along those lines?

dave

the day today tonight
at the moment i would say that style-wars/ones-to-watch/cool wise, those new school splatt-hop kingpins that we all rate are really what it's about right now :eek:
splatt-hop –- what the hell, did you just make that up or is that rustie and such or something else?!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Heard a few 2562 tunes on a proper system last night- in that context they don't sound bland or clean or lifeless at all, they sound DIRTY.

Alfons

Way of the future
Heard a few 2562 tunes on a proper system last night- in that context they don't sound bland or clean or lifeless at all, they sound DIRTY.

I listened to his mah mix in the car today, found it a bit flat and samey, love his tracks but found that too many tunes like that were a bit too much, might have to listen again tho. The peverelist mix I found much more interresting.