2562 - Aerial

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I wasn't too hot on the dogdaze trip-hop / broken stuff, a bit too generic. I think he's really come into his own with the more dubstep things.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Good to see the niceness meme taking hold...

Album's gonna be wicked.

massive interview with mr d in issue 3 of woofah plus an in-depth review from nick gutterbreakz.

bassnation

the abyss
maybe... obviously it's nice to get 10+ tunes for cheap, but i'm not sure i really see the point of a 'dance music album'.

well, i can see elgatos point of the best dance albums working more like mixes, but when i dj'ed i preferred to have unmixed lps, even if they didn't work as a complete lp just for mixing really. as long as the tunes are good i don't really care about the whole concept lp thing - surely that whole concept is a relic from the rock years? it sort of implies that for every nutty balls out track theres got to be a downtempo melancholic thing, or vice versa. usually for dance artists this meant them doing stuff that didn't suit them or their listeners. surely better for artists to stop worrying and just do a bunch of individual but strong tracks.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i think even when producers just make a load of good tracks to go on an album, a good album is made by the thought put into the sequencing etc. A good example is the Melchior Productions album from last year. It's only 8 tracks or so, pretty much all of them dancefloor fodder, yet its got a really nice flow to it that makes it a good album and not just a collection of tracks. I don't think the distinction is really outdated, I always prefer listening to something with a bit of cohesion. If you're gonna just make a bunch of good tracks put out two EPs.

bassnation

the abyss
i think even when producers just make a load of good tracks to go on an album, a good album is made by the thought put into the sequencing etc. A good example is the Melchior Productions album from last year. It's only 8 tracks or so, pretty much all of them dancefloor fodder, yet its got a really nice flow to it that makes it a good album and not just a collection of tracks. I don't think the distinction is really outdated, I always prefer listening to something with a bit of cohesion. If you're gonna just make a bunch of good tracks put out two EPs.

it just doesn't affect the way most people listen to music though. if you digitise its likely they'll get played in random order, or you'll leave out weaker tracks when converting. if djing you aren't going to follow their sequencing anyway. seems like a quaint idea to me, but each to his own.

zhao

there are no accidents
it just doesn't affect the way most people listen to music though. if you digitise its likely they'll get played in random order, or you'll leave out weaker tracks when converting. if djing you aren't going to follow their sequencing anyway. seems like a quaint idea to me, but each to his own.

once i discovered when taking a ride in a colleagues' car that he had downloaded one of my dj mixes, but had burnt it to a CDR in his own order, and put other songs he liked on there interspersed. :confused: needless to say i was horrified, could barely stop from shouting at him :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
finally heard this. impressive grafting of dub-techno palette onto the dubstep blueprint. mature sound, immersive listen. nice.

mms

sometimes
this was far far more boring than i hoped it would be - so 'state of the art' - i'm sure car stereo shops will use it to test car speakers soon.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
and the cynical award for thursday Jun 12 2008 goes to mms.

So you've finally pointed out that anyone who doesn't agree with the status quo on dissensus is now 'cynical'.

You can hear this same 'state of the art production' with half the metalheadz stuff a decade ago , it's kind of clean and nice, quite horizontal - alot of that 'influenced by dubstep and basic channel ' stuff misses the point of both i think, sure it goes with your modern furniture, and the album as an experience is far from experimentation, lacking in character and artistry,it's all rationally fitting sounds and pieces into a clean clear experience with just the right amounts of everything nicely rendered, tales of the expected all the way.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I read what Blackdown had to say about this as well and I thought he had a bit of a point.

In a way the problem with it is the same thing that makes it appeal - how it's an almost definitively tasteful amalgam of current cool club music.

And it's weird but even though everyone claims to love it I've seen 'Kameleon' kill dance floors on a couple of occasions.

I do like the 12s though, maybe it just starts to sound a bit antiseptic in larger doses.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
basin dub is one of the best tunes i've heard for ages, effortlessly beautiful

check the patty bling 'brother' remix MMS, you'd probably like it. almost hip hop-esque lilting beats glued together by the vocal.. in fact you should have it already as there's the samiyam remix on the flip

noel emits said:
And it's weird but even though everyone claims to love it I've seen 'Kameleon' kill dance floors on a couple of occasions.

i've seen it totally light up the dancefloor on several occasions as well :) depends on the set construction innit.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
I read what Blackdown had to say about this as well and I thought he had a bit of a point.

In a way the problem with it is the same thing that makes it appeal - how it's an almost definitively tasteful amalgam of current cool club music.

dubstep is beginning to fall into the tasteful trap that trip hop found itself mired in.