80's R'n'B/Electro-soul

luka

you might find this hard to beleive but i swear its true- i saw latoya jackson walking around the natural history museum in london when i was about 8 years old

luka

got to admit though, this thread's getting pretty ropey.... all repeats and schmaltz.

craner

Beast of Burden
The Whispers' lovely, emotionally wise 'No Pain, No Gain'.

The Whispers were BLOKES. Look:

whispers-large.jpg

BLOKE on far right is amazing; I think he's the one that BALLOONS in later photos into an enormously bloody bulky masculine beauty, with bushy beard and knitted pullover, like Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bell Air, living the dream.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Shalamar, 'Friends'.

A good song as long as you do, in fact, have friends that you like, otherwise it's excrutiating. What I like about Shalamar is that, when they got invited onto TV, they made a bit of an effort. They look very happy in this video, it's sweet.

What TV show is this? The kids go mental at the beginning!

craner

Beast of Burden
Another Whispers classic, this time with live choreography. From THAT to Take That. So sad, such steep decline. Uncle Phil can be seen second from left, living the dream. Voom, he tears across stage, he stomps, he spins! I love this dude. I wish he was my Dad.

craner

Beast of Burden
What's good about that track is that those are obviously REAL people getting name checks. Vicky, who's got the funk, immortalised!