Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

D

droid

Ive now downloaded this and will definitely check it out.

I love this shit. Its totally batshit and highly entertaining - like the 700 club...

swears

preppy-kei
From the synopsis I've read on the film, and the clips on youtube, I think the whole "Darwinism leads to fascism" thing is a side argument. The crux of the film is Stein's claim that anyone disagreeing with the theory of evolution in the USA these days is being persecuted by some sort of shadowy liberal cabal who don't want their flimsy evolution theory being exposed by brave dissenters. The main argument against that is that scientists have only a limited amount of time and resources to pursue their theories, and "intelligent design" has nothing to do with their methods anyway.

john eden

male pale and stale
I thought I might but then I thought about queueing up with a load of nutters and handing over the money and suddenly it seems a lot less likely. Plus from what I've read I don't think that there are really going to be actual arguments and stuff to address - and anyway if someone believes that thinking that evolution is the most likely possibility leads to death camps then what can you say to them?

I'm interested in it as a social movement as much as I am in the film itself, so seeing the kind of people who go and maybe even talking to them would be quite interesting.

My only fear is that it will be repeat of other things I have done like this (the AGM of the National Viewers and Listeners Association, and an evangelical meeting about gangs/gangsta rap) - both of these were very long and involved awkward conversations with people who were trying to suss me out/be absurdly matey.

For example, will they tack a 3 hour prayer meeting on at the end and try to prevent me leaving?

crackerjack

My only fear is that it will be repeat of other things I have done like this (the AGM of the National Viewers and Listeners Association, and an evangelical meeting about gangs/gangsta rap) - both of these were very long and involved awkward conversations with people who were trying to suss me out/be absurdly matey.

You haven't written about this anywhere linkable, have you?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"My only fear is that it will be repeat of other things I have done like this (the AGM of the National Viewers and Listeners Association, and an evangelical meeting about gangs/gangsta rap)"
Sounds very interesting.

john eden

male pale and stale
You haven't written about this anywhere linkable, have you?

It t'were all pre-internet, I think, young man. :eek:

Tho yes I did write about it at the time. The gangsta one was especially shit tho - some guy who had apparently been in a gang and then found god.

The posters were all done up to look like it was gonna be an NWA-but-for-christ! type thing. Talk about bearing false witness!

john eden

male pale and stale
I can only assume this guy conveniently ignores the huge role the Catholic church played in assisting in the Holocaust...

I think some of the creationist types regard catholicism as being the spawn of the devil anyway, so probably not.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think some of the creationist types regard catholicism as being the spawn of the devil anyway, so probably not.

Hmm, I deleted that post because a quick Wiki search* seemed to suggest that the Vatican in WWII probably saved a huge number of Jews, regardless of whatever part some particular Catholics may have played in the atrocities...I guess I was thinking mainly of the front cover of that Killing Joke compilation.

You've a very good point about the fact that most right-wing American Christians are rabid Protestants of one stripe or another, but to claim that atheism is uniquely responsible for Nazism etc. seems to suggest the conviction that any religion, even a 'false' one, is better than none at all.

*obviously not the most thorough way to research things, but undoubtedly the quickest!

Last edited:

crackerjack

Hmm, I deleted that post because a quick Wiki search* seemed to suggest that the Vatican in WWII probably saved a huge number of Jews, regardless of whatever part some particular Catholics may have played in the atrocities...I guess I was thinking mainly of the front cover of that Killing Joke compilation.

Ha, i was gonna reply to that with comments about not getting your history from Killing Joke sleeves. There was a marriage of convenience between fascism (esp) and Catholicism, but the idea that Papal forces were packing Jews off to auschwitz was a bit far fetched.

The Catholic church undoubtedly laid the ideological groundwork for anti-semitism though (as The Passion of the christ will remind you, if you can speak Aramaic)

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Killing Joke records sleeves = not the best place to learn about world history.

Damn, I was beaten to this, too... TWICE!

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
but to claim that atheism is uniquely responsible for Nazism etc. seems to suggest the ideology that any religion, even a 'false' one, is better than none at all.

iirc, hitler had a weird take on nordic paganism

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
So it seems they used John Lennon's song 'Imagine' without clearing it and are now being sued by the Lennon fam and EMI...

D

droid

Well, the Catholic Church in Germany certainly bears some moral resonsibility, if I remember correctly the Jehovahs Witnesses' were the only group that actively attempted to help the Jewish population, and many of them were sent to the camps as a result. There are also many questions about the conduct of Pius XII prior to, and during the war, the collusion of Croation priests in the running of concentration camps in the East, and of course the smuggling of thousands of Nazi War criminals to South America which was organised from an office in the Vatican.

polystyle

Short pants

Guys , I wouldn't worry too much about this pic being the success that spawns alot of other stuff like it.
Currently playing at a whole 2 movie houses here in NYC ,
every review i've seen on TV gives Stein his um , 5 minutes to see his piece - during which time he admits to believing in evolution.
The ID'tionists got kicked down in their school districts a couple years back already ( and this during Bush years ) ,
they'll keep trying , like the 700 club as noted earlier.
Stein's outfit in the promo ad's, ugly ( Angus Young flashback ) ,
his demeanor interviews po faced and wasn't he in Ferris Bueller's's Day Off ?.
Fronting the thesis that teaching Darwinian evolution but ignoring 'intelligent design' in America's public schools and uni's is the biggest threat to Amurican Freedom today must be some kind of paid career move.
The guy used to be a Nixon speechwriter ...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
iirc, hitler had a weird take on nordic paganism

Hmm, as I understand it, he was raised in a Catholic family but was essentially an atheist in his adult life.* A lot of Nazis were into some kind of twisted neo-paganism, but Hitler himself was fairly contemptuous of it (though he no doubt considered it useful in arousing the correct Völkisch feelings in the populace at large). I think Himmler and Hess were the biggest enthusiasts for occultism and mysticism out of the top Nazis.

Edit: whadda surprise, the Nazis tried to promote a stormtrooper-Jesus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Christianity

*Edit the second: looks like he was some sort of half-arsed semi-Christian or non-specific 'theist'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler's_religious_beliefs

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i read mein kampf years ago and remember lots of mentions of spirits etc. laughable bollocks, obv.

Last edited: