jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
maybe we should start a sonic youth are shite thread- seriously- not a decent fucking note since Goo and half of that was nonsense of the highest order. and that was over 16 fucking years ago. Kill Yr Idols indeed.

mos dan

fact music
I quite liked Murray St

ditto. also bits of a thousand leaves. but i agree, da yoof are definitely worthy of sacred cow status.

joy division baffle me these days. i had my teenager phase of thinking they were SO DEEEEEP man, but christ, how can a balanced adult withstand listening to something that depressing and enjoy it?! i used to subscribe to the depressing-music-is-actually-oddly-uplifting-and-inspiring school of thought when i was 15 (see also arab strap), and an indie-loving friend of mine still maintains this is true.

now i just feel pretty pop-ist (if i'm using the term correctly) about it - 'cheer up yer miserable bastard and write some melodies!'

crackerjack

i'll let you know if i agree tmw morning lol. i quite liked 'he got game' but there's been a lot of poor late-era records too undoubtedly.

Hardly worthy of inclusion in a sacred cows thread - since when has anyone claimed their last decade has been anything but shite?

mos dan

fact music
Hardly worthy of inclusion in a sacred cows thread - since when has anyone claimed their last decade has been anything but shite?

yeah that's true - look at bun-u, he started it! ;)

unless bun-u you're claiming 'nation of millions' is not all it's cracked up to be? that perhaps we should not, er, believe, er, the hype? ahem.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
kraftwerk - not made a decent album in well over 20 years
Not fair. They were quite roundly drubbed over Electric Cafe - which was 22 years ago, and is actually not bad at all, just not as coherent as their preceding efforts. Tour De France Soundtracks (2003) was and is surprisingly good so I think it's only right that their status is big again, no?

It's actually quite common in indie rock circles to claim that SY lost it after Goo.

Personally, I think they're quite awesome up to this day.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
well i think they suck and i hate all indie rock... oh... that would explain it i guess.

oh alright, some of Murray Street and A Thousand Leaves- i concede- i forgot about them.
But then, the thread is about sacred cows so it still stands- i don't think i've ever read a negative review of them. And also, even when they've pulled moments, it never feels like an event. And any news of new releases hardly generates a flicker of excitement.

For the record, i thought Tour De France Soundtracks was really good- esp the first half. Its like a musical vitamin- i swear its the healthiest sounding album ever made.

ALSO, i hate to bring this lot up but... U2. Do journo's slag them off ever. I mean, obviously the world hates them but those who do hate them generally just don't talk about them. In crit-land, they still seem to do no wrong. Those that do review the albums, love em. No matter what. And remember that Morley thing- jeeeeesus...

Oh, no doubt about SY being sacred cows, people recognize their flaws and forgive them. Maybe that's what makes a true sacred cow?

U2 - I think I remember critics slagging them off. But then U2 reviews are not really what I'm looking for, so I might be wrong. Dreadful band.

mms

sometimes
Oh, no doubt about SY being sacred cows, people recognize their flaws and forgive them. Maybe that's what makes a true sacred cow?

U2 - I think I remember critics slagging them off. But then U2 reviews are not really what I'm looking for, so I might be wrong. Dreadful band.

u2 are absolutely stinking, they've like status quo with edgy producers, same song every time.

Last edited: