Media stab frenzy

luka

im dont have any issue wit its clarity... its how predictable it is... these people don't seem to have an original idea in their heads...everything is the approved version....

D

droid

im dont have any issue wit its clarity... its how predictable it is... these people don't seem to have an original idea in their heads...everything is the approved version....

If we're going by the standards of predictable responses, you're barely convincing as a real person either Luka!

Insert a statement that any Sun reader might find to be overly analytical, politically correct, or even a smidgen lefty or intellectual and you spew vague invective (always careful not to argue against the substance of the post of course) like some reactionary Pavlov's dog...

crackerjack

one of the oddest phenomenon recently has been maddie the lost ( dead) girl who had a working class cargo cult style copyist, who thought that if they did everything that maddie's parents did in the gaze of the media they could make some good money,

cough alllegedly cough

D

droid

BTW, Id suggest that anyone interested in how the media 'ranks' news and selects stories should read Nick Davies' 'Flat Earth News', for an insiders (non-academic/non-lefty) view of how commercial pressures have affected the production of news in the UK - including the astounding fact that over 80% of all news stories in UK papers come either from Wire services or PR press releases...

An award-winning reporter exposes falsehood, distortion and propaganda in the global media

"Finally I was forced to admit that I work in a corrupted profession." When award-winning journalist Nick Davies decided to break Fleet Street's unwritten rule by investigating his own colleagues, he found that the business of truth had been slowly subverted by the mass production of ignorance.

Working with a network of off-the-record sources, Davies uncovered the story of the prestigious Sunday newspaper which allowed the CIA and MI6 to plant fiction in its columns; the daily newsroom where senior reporters casually refer to 'nig nogs' and where executives routinely reject stories about black people; the respected quality paper which was so desperate for scoops that it hired a conman to set up a front company to entrap senior political figures. He found papers supporting law and order while paying cash bribes to bent detectives and hiring private investigators to steal information.

Davies names names and exposes the national news stories which turn out to be pseudo events manufactured by the PR industry and the global news stories which prove to be fiction generated by a new machinery of international propaganda.

He shows the impact of this on a world where media consumers believe a mass of stories which, in truth, are as false as the idea that the Earth is flat - from the millennium bug to the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, tainting government policy, perverting popular belief.

He presents a new model for understanding news. With the help of researchers from Cardiff University, who ran a ground-breaking analysis of the contents and sources for our daily news, Davies found most reporters most of the time are not allowed to dig up stories or check their facts - a profession corrupted at the core.

http://www.flatearthnews.net/

luka

i am left wing anyway, just cos im mates with oliver craner, doesn't mean im a fasist like him you know... i just find ripley and gavin boring....you can't tell me seriously they're not boring cos you knwo they are. they always just read out of textbooks... who doesn't know the media are selctive, i mean, for christs sake....

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
cough alllegedly cough
I didn't follow this story after a certain point. As I understood it their scheme, allegedly, was to try and extract money from the 'Maddie fund'. What happened next, apart from the Police arresting everyone within half a mile of the whole business.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i am left wing anyway, just cos im mates with oliver craner, doesn't mean im a fasist like him you know... i just find ripley and gavin boring....you can't tell me seriously they're not boring cos you knwo they are. they always just read out of textbooks... who doesn't know the media are selctive, i mean, for christs sake....

unfortunately luka, mr tea seems to struggle with the idea a little ;)

luka

hes one of those people whove read about 5 books and then think they're clever

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I didn't follow this story after a certain point. As I understood it their scheme, allegedly, was to try and extract money from the 'Maddie fund'. What happened next, apart from the Police arresting everyone within half a mile of the whole business.

i believe, the application to the maddie fund was later on and led to the police arrests. i've got friends who work in dewsbury, and the whole saga is very sad and murky. much like the place itself.

D

droid

A few Dissensus posters by the look of things...

Thats quite a Zizekian position you've taken there Luka. Criticising leftists for responding to arguments with positions you think are boring and obvious because you agree with them... :D

luka

yeah so what, its true! imagine on a music thread... it'd be like saying,
has anyone ever noticed how public enemy sound angry and they're music is really noisy and unmusical, quite thrilling isn't it.
or, has anyone ever notcied how prince somtimes sings like a girl

(first time i've been accused of being zizekian though...)

john eden

male pale and stale
There was a piece on the news the other week about the popularity of fencing lessons in a community centre in Tower Hamlets, which I thought was interesting.

On the surface it seemed a bit mental, but I assume it works in the same way as martial arts - kids learn fighting skills but they also learn focus and (fiddles with monocle) discipline.