Media stab frenzy

UFO over easy

online mahjong
luka said:
yeah so what, its true! imagine on a music thread... it'd be like saying,
has anyone ever noticed how public enemy sound angry and they're music is really noisy and unmusical, quite thrilling isn't it.

not really, you give people too much credit

to most people news is not the news until it's in the news. or something along those lines. and that's a fairly reasonable a position to take as well, assuming reporters are doing their jobs well.

Last edited:

luka

well i dunno, lets see... is there anyone here who thought journalists produce the news in a wholly objective manner based on what we the people most need to know?

D

droid

No, but if you've been reading this thread you'll notice that there are people who think that new is somehow prioritised by 'importance', and will argue the point.

Everyone should read that Nick Davies' book. Even I was shocked by how low standards have dropped. Most news today is basically whatever can be cobbled together in 5 minutes from press releases, wire services and other newspapers. There is virtually no fact checking or original investigation anymore.

Of course its a truism that you 'cant believe anything you read in the papers', but despite that, many of us (including myself) do on occasion.

luka

certainly not, but given this is where the debate is taking place its hardly relevant is it?

luka

No, but if you've been reading this thread you'll notice that there are people who think that new is somehow prioritised by 'importance', and will argue the point.

and as for this, well droid, i don't wish to put words in tea's mouth, but i will anyway.
mr teas has assigned himself/has been assigned a particular role here at dissensus and as with all roles, the script writes itself to a significant degree. which is one of the problems with dissensus and with communication in general....
its also the reason why, when on dissensus, i very rarely write in coherent sentences or say anything i actually think or belive....

D

droid

mr teas has assigned himself/has been assigned a particular role here at dissensus and as with all roles, the script writes itself to a significant degree. which is one of the problems with dissensus and with communication in general....its also the reason why, when on dissensus, i very rarely write in coherent sentences or say anything i actually think or belive.......

...i am, after all, the village idiot....

You're getting a bit deep there now Luka.

Next you know you'll be breaking into solemn stanzas. ;)

luka

You're getting a bit deep there now Luka.

Next you know you'll be breaking into solemn stanzas.

well, thats the point i was making, you get boxed into these roles... and now you're far more comfortbale with me being the village idiot, which is fine, cos i'm more comfortable with it too... you like it cos it makes you feel cleverer than me, and i like it cos it makes me feel more clever than you....

D

droid

well, thats the point i was making, you get boxed into these roles... and now you're far more comfortbale with me being the village idiot, which is fine, cos i'm more comfortable with it too... you like it cos it makes you feel cleverer than me, and i like it cos it makes me feel more clever than you....

Sorry fella, thats not gonna fly. You've let far too much slip in the past. You've got form. (and I know the intentional irony of my last comment wasn't lost on you).

I prefer it when people make an effort not to act like twats on forums, regardless of the limitations of their self assigned roles.

luka

be specific... what are you talking about? when we both got banned?

when have i acted like a twat?

to be honest, i prefer people acting like twats than being boring and pompous...

D

droid

be specific... what are you talking about? when we both got banned?

I'm saying you have form of not acting like an idiot. Forgive me if I don't search through the archives, but I'm sure its happened at least once...

when have i acted like a twat?

to be honest, i prefer people acting like twats than being boring and pompous...

What - you expect me to count every incident? :p

Didn't this digression start as a result of you admitting that your role on Dissensus was 'The Village Idiot'?

This is all getting a bit weird now.

luka

i better go to bed....
i will never post on dissensus without my customary spelling mistakes and boorish inanities again....

D

droid

Yowch - you nearly got your bit of biff before those hasty edits.

You're not the only one who can be confusingly ambiguous ya know! :)

Im also truly heartbroken to hear that Ive never made you laugh. :eek: