Media stab frenzy

ripley

It's not really got anything to do with 'conspiracy theories' as such, at least as I would use the term. It's more just a case of people being (rightly, of course) wary or openly critical of the spin put on news stories or the way stories are assigned a certain implicit priority, but then going so far as to seemingly question whether or not the thing being reported has even happened at all.

You were the one who said you "didn't get my point" about being wary of the media, about which you now say "rightly of course" we should be wary or critical.

It's a bit rich to BE the straw man, and then say that the other side is as straw man.

and as for the rest of it, well as is often the case (boringly one might say), parroting sexism and elitism seems likely to get a pass as "interesting" or rebellious, but pointing out those talking points and attitudes is boring etc. To each his own I guess. for a change, next you can point out when I'm taking things too personally when gender issues come up! :D

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
oh dear yes you have!
do you know where you read that - it's an interesting idea but it seems to me to be a one of those ideas that suggests there is a criminal fraternity, that is a natural unchanging element of society who are to blame for everything! :)

It was a quote from the Pastor of Stockwell after Billy Cox was shot in Clapham North.

bassnation

the abyss
Of course, but it's very very sudden. In terms of reporting it's not a trend, it's a spike (yes, I know). And you get this with various memes from time to time. I think to an extent it's a question of focus. News outlets must only pass on a tiny amount of what they are presented with, it's a selective filtering process.

on the contrary, most stabbings go unreported - non-fatal that is. there is an increased focus, and damn right too. this is not a media mirage or folk demon thing. it deserves to be front page news (as opposed to "uk mans holiday ruined by germans in hotel" as i saw on the front page of the sun the other week). everyone i've spoken to, right or left supports the airport style scanners on public transport, even if i don't care for the sniffer dogs much.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
on the contrary, most stabbings go unreported - non-fatal that is. there is an increased focus
I realise a lot goes unreported. That might have been mentioned here once or twice.

'Increased focus'. Yeah, I think that was discussed as well. :p

Another thing about knives v. guns: knives are quieter, you're usually going to be more reluctant to fire off a gun because it will immediately attract a lot of attention.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You were the one who said you "didn't get my point" about being wary of the media, about which you now say "rightly of course" we should be wary or critical.

It's a bit rich to BE the straw man, and then say that the other side is as straw man.

Well hang on, I think you're confusing two things here: as I said before, I'm certainly not denying that there is always going to be a bias of some kind (not necessarily even a deliberate one) in how news is reported, and even what news is reported. That's a bit different from saying that the amount of media attention some event receives is wholly arbitrary or simply an artefact of the prejudices or pet interests of the editors. You talk about the thousands of stabbings that happen every year without making the front page: I put it to you that a fatal stabbing is more important, more newsworthy, than a non-fatal one. And murders do generally make the front page of papers and the evening news. Yes, a given knife murder happening today might get more media attention than it would have a couple of years ago, but I certainly don't think that's a bad thing. If this stuff is going on I'd rather read about it that some inconsequential shite about Paris Hilton or Pete Doherty. It's the same with climate change: it's good that people are being worried about it by the media, because if no-one's worried, fuck all is going to be done about it.

vimothy

yurp
While we're at it, violence against homeless people seems to be on the rise and under-reported, in America and the UK.

In its most recent study, "Hate, Violence, and Death on Main Street USA," the coalition documented attacks against the destitute in 62 communities last year alone, in 26 states. Since 1999, such violence has occurred in 44 states and Puerto Rico, and in 200 communities nationwide.

An overwhelming majority of the attackers — 88% — were 25 or younger; 95% were male. No less than 68% of those accused and convicted in attacks were between the ages of 13 and 19.

This pattern of violence, in Stoops' view, hasn't gotten the attention it deserves from the public or law enforcement.

"Homeless people are the newest minority group in America that is 'OK' to hate and hurt," he said. "It's as though, somehow, they're viewed as less deserving, less human than the rest of us."

Americans did pay attention to the story of 58-year-old Jacques Pierre, a homeless man who'd been sleeping on a bench on a college campus when three teenagers woke him up, taunted him, then nearly killed him with baseball bats.

Why?

That Jan. 12, 2006, ambush in Fort Lauderdale was filmed by a surveillance camera, and broadcast worldwide.

"For once," says Sean Cononie, who operates a homeless shelter in that seaside city, "Americans saw with their own eyes how kids hunt down and kill homeless people as though it were a sport."​

bassnation

the abyss
I realise a lot goes unreported. That might have been mentioned here once or twice.

'Increased focus'. Yeah, I think that was discussed as well. :p

Another thing about knives v. guns: knives are quieter, you're usually going to be more reluctant to fire off a gun because it will immediately attract a lot of attention.

lol, serves me right for jumping in without reading all five pages of the thread. and thanks for being so polite when pointing that out!

although i'd like to make a general point about london - despite all the guns and knives, i feel safer here than i would in merthyr where i come from even though back there it would be fisti cuffs. in london its like an arms race. yeah theres violence but no-one really knows who is packing and who isn't. you can bluff, you can screwface. you do that in provincial towns and before you know it you've got a gang of heavies stamping on your skull. having front is a the wrong move cos the barrier of entry for violence is much lower in shitty small towns. its one thing for people to want to mug you for money but a lot of pissheads aren't interested in money but they get a buzz from violence when they end the night without pulling, and for me thats much much scarier.

the only time i've had shit round here (tulse hill / brixton) bizarrely was with a welsh bloke in an off license who was offended when i wouldn't speak welsh with him, which pretty much sums it up for me.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
would be interesting to compare violence statistics of London in the industrializing 19th century with today no?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
would be interesting to compare violence statistics of London in the industrializing 19th century with today no?

In theory, yes, but virtually impossible in practice, I'd have thought. Also, there was probably a lot more violence of the simply acquisitive kind, namely shanking someone for a few pennies so you could get something to eat (or drink). A lot of the violence that's in the news at the moment seems mainly to do with pointless 'beefs' that are grounded in essentially fuck-all beyond macho dickheadery. Fucking 'post-code wars', indeed...

Last edited:

noel emits

Heh, and nothing at all to do with his personal history of getting nicked for propositioning undercover cops in public bogs or driving while stoned...
Sure there's an element of that. But he seems quite genuine in being concerned about media focus as well and I think it's good that someone from the celebrity side of things should say that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sure there's an element of that. But he seems quite genuine in being concerned about media focus as well and I think it's good that someone from the celebrity side of things should say that.

I've just listened to this (no sound on work 'puters) and yeah, he makes some good points.

tryptych

waiting for a time
There was a piece on the news the other week about the popularity of fencing lessons in a community centre in Tower Hamlets, which I thought was interesting.

On the surface it seemed a bit mental, but I assume it works in the same way as martial arts - kids learn fighting skills but they also learn focus and (fiddles with monocle) discipline.

I think this is great - I used to fence when I was younger, and the sport was dominated by kids from public schools who went to posh London salles. I think I read in some Olympics newsletter that dropped through our door that kids from a club in Homerton or Stratford had come top of their regional championships.

noel emits

I suppose it's a trade of sorts but should we really be teaching youngsters how to stash stolen goods?

(obvious crap joke no.2 for the day. it just bugs me when they're left hanging there...)

straight

wings cru
anyone catch kids, knives, broken lives last night? shocker bad doc on channel 4. pretty much spent an hour listing all the different types of knife. and then guns. and then another list of things you can hit someone over the head with. To some concious community centre UK hiphop.

The documentary on before with the african doctor was much more even handed and managed to for once mention the fact that the murder rate and gang problem is much worse in inner city glasgow/strathclyde than anywhere else in the country.

Last edited: