Lil Wayne - The Carter III

STN

sou'wester
What is the beat from A Milli? The geezer in the shop declared that it was 'French or Nigerian or something', so um, not from around 'ere...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Anyone else notice how Lil Weezy is basically Wiley but American? And vice versa?

A partially insane egomaniacal eccentric who puts out material almost reflexively, quantity-over-quality, simply because there is no other way for them to do it, resulting in brilliant moments on mixtapes, albums that don't quite capture those moments, the odd single, and in spite of all of this they, beyond any shadow of a doubt, dominate and set the pace for their respective scenes?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Halfway through listening to this. A Milli is big, but it's no Dr. Carter. That beat is a savage refix by Swizz Beatz of the original tune it samples, with this old school flavour to it, hilarious interludes, great concept, and so lyrically deep: he's so dextrous with his syllables and wordplay, stays on topic, and is exciting, awe-striking and really funny all on the same track - sort of like Trim, but less stream of consciousness... on this track anyway.

The beat for A Milli is a definite car-stereo banger, but I just didn't find it lyrically as great - as fucked up as he may sound over it. The best line by far is in the third verse:

"i'm a venereal disease like a menstrual bleed [and despite this isn't a V.D. at all]
through the pencil and leak on the sheet of the tablet in my mind
I don't write shit 'cause I ain't got time"

I wish more Southern rappers were leaking on the sheet of the tablets in their minds god damn it.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
And on another note this is super fucked up (sorry for posting like three times in a row... no nomad):

"Tha Carter III seems to be selling a lot of CDs. Some people are saying it's on track to maybe crack the fabled million-sold mark by the end of its first week, and they're not even kidding. (The CD was in such high demand before it came out yesterday that some unscrupulous retailers even quietly sold a few copies as soon as they came in stock, enough to land Tha Carter III at No. 171 on the Billboard charts today — the week before it's even supposed to show up on the chart at all.)"

From Simon Vozick-Levinson's article on the subject on the Popwatch blog.
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/06/wayne-carter-3.html

drilla

Off topic but can I just say this thread made me revisit those Triple 6 Mafia underground tapes and go on to related goodies and I have become obsessed... if you count all the dj paul tapes and affiliates I think its hard to deny that the hypnotize minds camp equals or surpasses any other hip hop group ever including wutang, if only for the quantity. There must be 30 records, 20 odd tracks each, with consistently amazing production, whereas wu-tang has what, 6? I am amazed and entranced.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
way back when in 94 when screw still had his gate up
he called me over to his house and he poured me an eight up
i asked him what it was, he said "bun get your weight up
"this is lean, them white folks call it promethazine
"shit, but we gon call it drank dawg cause that's what we be doin to it
"now take this big red and pour about a two into it"
i said, twos and eights, what the fuck is you trippin on?
he said, "man that's the ounces of cough syrup that you sippin on"
so shit, i poured it, i sipped it, then i sipped some more
i fired up a green monster and i hit that hoe,
started relaxin, shit, and to my surprise i was noddin off lookin at the back of my eyes
they tried to wake me up but shit i just kept yawnin
i fell out in my chair, woke up there the next mornin
god bless my nigga cause since then i been spun
on my white muddy cup of texas tea

drilla

2wlsft1.jpg

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Uhh...No.

a milli is the rap song of the year.

the rest of the album i find quite dense - i need more listens but i wish the beats were more consistently interesting like a milli. the production lets him down i think.

the prob i have with most new hip hop though is that i can listen to it and appraise it, i just dont want to fucking listen to any of it.

I regret to inform you that the Hip Hop song of the year BY FAR is Elzhi and Royce Da 5'9"'s "Motown 25" off of the disgustingly ill "Europass" LP. Ne-Yo almost spit on Bangladesh's "A Millie" beat better than Wayne did!

SMH.

One.

gumdrops

haha. ill search that song out. it better be good. ;)

this album needs more good beats. beats as good as a milli. would be nice to have wayne sound like he hasnt just woken up too. but its still good. i must hear it some more though. still only heard it a couple of times. been more interested in listening to old poison clan lately!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Here ya go!

haha. ill search that song out. it better be good. ;)

this album needs more good beats. beats as good as a milli. would be nice to have wayne sound like he hasnt just woken up too. but its still good. i must hear it some more though. still only heard it a couple of times. been more interested in listening to old poison clan lately!

What era? "Don't Sleep On A Hizzo" or "Check Out The Avenue"? Either way, here ya go Gumdrops:

Elzhi f/Royce Da 5'9"-Motown 25 (prod. by Black Milk)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11770252ab29e51d/

Ne-Yo-A Millie (prod. by Bangladesh)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/140935020bcb42b6/

One.