Pitchfork reviews Run the Road

C

captain easychord

autonomicforthepeople said:
Yeah I like the sound of this. Overseas mailorder is losing its charm.

Hey Luca, is Black Market in TO affiliated with the London one? If so, they need to be pressured to stock some grimieness.

blackmarket is techincally affiliated with the london store but they seem unwilling to pursue having a grime (or UKG for that matter) stock. i spoke with carl, the manager, one time, and he said that there not stocking grime for the same reason that play d won't: shitty distro channels, small pressings, not much interest in T.O. etc.

US grime scene; asian garage; bad reviews

i'm sure it's been said before, but if you're in new york and looking for grime and dubstep, kim's does carry a bit..

whoever mentioned the night at rothko, i'm gutted this hadn't kicked off when i was there last since no one else seemed to know what i was talking about. AND the night at orchard bar. pff.

re: asians - the 2step/desi crossover scene was huge for a while, wasn't it? as far as grime goes, i thought biryani riddim producer (t-star?) was asian, but i might just be misinformed.

oh and for those looking for the most painful review of run the road.. it's out there - it hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but you'll know it if you see it.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Pearsall said:
Ah, but this is now the accepted journalistic template. Young black men (and some white and mixed-race ones) + cheap production gear + council estates + tracksuits + funny slang = AVANT-GARDE MUSIC SHOCKA
True.

Then again -- this kind of stuff is avant garde in the best sense of the term...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
b/v said:
re: asians - the 2step/desi crossover scene was huge for a while, wasn't it?
In Sheffield, you hear a lot of Punjabi garage.

Oh and Speed Garage -- the old familiar! -- is still really big up here.

Fulfils a similar function as scouse house does elsewhere.

In other news, there was a ragga jungle / disco breaks night round the corner from me on Saturday...

C

captain easychord

b/v said:
ioh and for those looking for the most painful review of run the road.. it's out there - it hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but you'll know it if you see it.

where where where???

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Noah Baby Food said:
Not sure if this is the review you're referring to...but it's very badly researched and pretty embarassing, although it is 'positive':

well at least he thought it was "zippy" ... :)

Noah Baby Food

Yeah, that Terror Danjah's a good MC too eh? It's amazing how he can sound like so many different people on one track...! hehe (I'd do an emoticon there to imply sarcasm, but I don't agree with 'em).

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'd be interested in knowing which tracks off "Run the Road" people here rate . . . .

these are the tracks that I like the most:

(1) roll deep -- "let it out"

(2) demon feat. big e-d -- "i won't change"

(3) wonder & plan b -- "cap back"

(4) tinchy stryder -- "move"

(5) lady sov -- "cha ching (cheque 1, 2 remix)"

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I really rate Destruction VIP and Cock Back? And I'm the whitest miost middle class person on the planet, but I know what cocking back is... funny review.

dmg

<i>i'd be interested in knowing which tracks off "Run the Road" people here rate . . . .</i>

I'd give top marks to Mic Fight, Gimme Dat, Happy Dayz (a nice drop of positivity in a sea of bleakness) and of course the Dizzee track (nice to hear that all of his newer stuff isn't overly polished "hip-hop" in the same way that Showtime was). I was a little surprised how much guitar there is on the tracks. I guess Brits haven't had to deal with the scourge of 'rap-metal' in the same way we have stateside.

markp

back it up ten steps, sorry.

1. i am not american and i am not an 'indie kid' -- while that might accurately describe a huge portion of pitchfork's readership, i don't write with that audience in mind -- i don't identify with either, so it would be silly to try.

however, because pitchfork is pitchfork and not dissensus or heronbone or gutterbreakz, i did consciously make the decision to write this review assuming that the majority of interested readers would probably only know grime through dizzee. yeah, the kids who listen to rinse every week will think thats a pretty boring starting point, but it's also kind of fucking insane to pretend that boy in da corner wasn't a launchpad for grime, or that dizzee was somehow outside of it. he/it is part of the story, and no amount of revisionist gatekeeping can change that.

2. i've lived in london for periods, but i don't have any deep knowledge of east london, nor do i pretend to. any cartoonish or imagistic characterization of grime's environment is, as simon says, my response to its manifest content. aside from the specific mention of bow (in the context of a dumb joke which i deeply regret), there is no mention of physical location in the piece; it's hardly a safely-distanced love letter to "the mean streets of bow."

3. i don't pretend to be an authority on grime - i fear i am far too much of a dilettante to be an authority on anything - but i do listen to an awful lot of it, mostly in my private time and mostly alone. the last thing i want to do as a writer is contribute to the fetishization and marginalization of music that means a lot to me. i literally felt queasy after parts of this thread, almost guilty. certain people had me feeling like i didn't have a right to this music or, worse, that i'd been swindled into repping for it. thank god that feeling went away quickly.

my interaction with grime has been and always will be from a distance. that's a given -- i'm a whiteboy from canada for god's sake -- i'm aware of my separation from it even when i listen to it in the privacy of my headphones. maybe the problem is that there's an inadvertent element of ownership that enters into the equation any time you get evangelical about something? in which case, i'm genuinely curious: is it possible to be evangelical about a music that isn't 'yours' in any way without triggering landmines?

mark p.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I can't be bothered reading the whole thread to check, but Mark, I wouldn't take it all too personally. think that people were picking on a certain style of review that yours reminded them of, rather than the review itself.

That said, you make pretty good points.

But hell, what do I know? I read pitchfork quite a lot! And it's turned me onto heaps of stuff...

jimet

Yeah, don't take the abuse too personally - I liked the review.

Where, incidentally, is that awesome dialogue sample at the end of Cock Back (keel ef'ry bloodclot..) from?

dubplatestyle

yeah where is that from? (and while we're at it, where's that film/tv sample that's all over the shy fx album from?) (and, no, not goodfellas before some ass gets clever.)

p.s. get ready for a lot more grime in pfork.

Clubberlang

Do you mean the "Gangsta Kid", "Original Gangsta", etc, samples, Jess? Cuz I swear I always thought those were skits that Gunsmoke and Shy FX did?

blissblogger

if...

... music is any good it's always gonna get picked up on by people it doesn't "belong" to

it's to be welcomed innit

creative misrecognition, it's the story of pop music, etc etc

musically, appropriation, it's all good (so long as the glory doesnt' entirely go to the appropriators/adaptors) because it just hastens the process by which the original scene keeps moving forward, finding new stuff to sharpen its edge

so you end up with a rejuvenated/energized pop take on it and the underground stuff veering off on a new tangent

my frustration in the past has always been the failure of things like jungle to cross over more, contaminate pop music more,

the lady sov/no lay opposition seems to me to typify that keep-it-real undergroundist attitude -- here you have someone who is full of spark and star quality versus somehow who's decent enough, has all the right credentials, paid the dues, but is, let's be honest, a bit second-div. but undergroundists always prefer that sort (there's a rap group from the late eighties/early nineties, i'm blanking on the name, but were the ultimate example of this, preferred by the 'scenti precisely cos they had no crossover potential), cos they're not threatening.

mms

sometimes
sit opposite a guy at this place im temping at who works for dj mag, he's a hip hopper and likes lady sov but recogns the grime mc's are rubbish. This is weird.

i will win the guy over i'm sure, but i find it odd.