Cumbia

zhao

there are no accidents
pretty amazing mix from Poland. very well put together and phat sound almost like...

plajablancasmallerblack.jpg

http://digginpoland.blogspot.com/2008/10/plaja-blanca-mixtape.html

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=418340759

Last edited:

franz

since it hasn't been mentioned yet: Chancha via Circuito's release Rodante, on ZZK, is well worth a listen. i think i prefer it to the comp. those who've heard the Jahdan Blakkamoore ep will be familiar with one of the tracks already. my e-pal, who's big into this stuff suggested i check out El Remolon as well, but i haven't managed to find it yet.

zhao

there are no accidents
since it hasn't been mentioned yet: Chancha via Circuito's release Rodante, on ZZK, is well worth a listen. i think i prefer it to the comp. those who've heard the Jahdan Blakkamoore ep will be familiar with one of the tracks already. my e-pal, who's big into this stuff suggested i check out El Remolon as well, but i haven't managed to find it yet.

thanks for heads up!

littlebird

Wild Horses
what are these blogs? my mate at wordthecat.com is good for this kind of thing, and it always tears it up when he plays cumbia at our house parties.. but i need some links :)

a few blogs that i've come across, d/l'ed and enjoyed that might be of interest (looks like the track links are still live; apologies if that is not the case):

Masala
(link will take you to a cumbia-related post)

Masala - main blog
(good stuff, imo)

Mudd Up!
(post i'd found which featured "cumbia crunk" tracks on it has a dead link; but blog may be of interest, nonetheless)

le-gouter
(traditional)

zhao

there are no accidents
i have been enjoying immensely some of the releases on the netlabel Cabeza.

check the mix tape on the top of the page, 03, the cumbia/reggae/hiphop mash. straight dope!

zhao

there are no accidents
just came back from ZZK party at WMF tonight... and it was NOT good. fucking horrid actually.

stupid ass Ed Banger Cumbia with no groove, no soul, just annoying digi distortion for the thick headed. pissed me right off.

i feel sorry for all the berliners that don't know a thing about Cumbia who went tonight thinking they would try something new...

i realize i sound like a grandad but what these kids did tonight was fucking retarded.

pajbre

yeah the zzk jams strike me as pretty vibeless, like they were hatched by and for fader magazine.

zhao

there are no accidents
hatched by and for fader magazine.

haha pretty spot on.

i mean i did like some of the recordings from the past, but actually not sure how it would hold up on repeated listening... feels like they will go the way of MIA for me: initial excitement that quickly wears off.

Hanuman

Really enjoying this mix from my man Rob Pollinate.

Bit of cheeky cumbia in here!

Skee-Lo – I Wish [Squared Evening Edit]
Cecile – New Year New Love
Johnny Prez – La Potra
King Cannibal – Murder Us
Lady Saw – Pum Pum
DJ Naughty – Quicktime
Chancha Via Circuito – Zorzal Instrumental
Villa Diamante – Emisor vs Dead Prez
Bomba Estereo – Fuego [The Peronists Remix]
Squared – Atlantic Decay [Demo]
Sonido Del Principe – Watch Dem ft Horace Andy
Esgar – Bass Batter
Squared – The End [Demo]
Squared – Radio One
Unknown Artist – La Flauta Tribal
DJ Mouse – Guata Guata
NaughtyBeats – Nutz
Inspirational Sounds feat. Stephanie Hladowski – Warning
Deckstar – Mistikal Bass
Djivan Gasparyan – Moon Shines At Night
Squared – Radio Two
Fairuz – Sa ‘Alouni Annass
El Remolon – Zapatillas Galacticas

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

This is three years old, but I've only just discovered it. Fantastic - didn't think I'd be into cumbia at all, but I was wrong. Any other more recent recommendations?

I also just read about something called cumbia rebajada, which seems to be screwed versions of cumbia.

muser

most of that stuff is from label like bersa disco, which i think is great but is more like mashups of cumbia then cumbia really. You can check out some, cuumbia tribaleros, i had quite a bit of cumbia at one point but it got wiped.
someone posted this on my FB the other day made me chuckle.

denoir

This is three years old, but I've only just discovered it. Fantastic - didn't think I'd be into cumbia at all, but I was wrong. Any other more recent recommendations?

Haha I felt the same when I first heard that DJ Rupture mix in 2009 or 2010, love the way he carefully mixes up old & new styles...Im not really keen on the globalbass/blog/electrohouse/cumbia, but there's some decent cumbia digital around - I suggest you to check out ZZK Records, El Hijo De La Cumbia, etc.

firefly

slightly off topic, but still - man i miss dj rupture's wfmu show... he introduced me to cumbia and all sorts of just - beautiful music. the only show where i could hear sunn o))), and some south american music right after that, just fucking perfect

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Perhaps not up to the connoisseurs but there are one or two EL-B mixes knocking around which are enjoyable

This too

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll check them out over the weekend.

@denoir - Rupture's an absolute hero, it's true. I have no doubt that you'll have come across this before, but for those who haven't:
http://www.negrophonic.com/dj-rupture-mixes-free-download/
Ridiculously inspirational.

And http://wfmu.org/playlists/dr
@firefly, I was going to ask you if you knew whether the WFMU mixes were up online, but just found a link to this from the previous page I tagged. This is a bit like Xmas, only good.

Last edited:

trza

New reissue label Tiger's Milk has a promo blog about reissuing Puruvian music and serving ceviche in London. I don't like ceviche but they have a compilations released next month, includes a track described as Cumbia Amazónica from Iquitos, great guitar work:

"Al comenzar este tema de Los Zheros de Iquitos, la percusión nos dice que vamos a escuchar una de esas notables cumbias amazónicas de los años 60, pero la melodía de las guitarras nos terminan llevando a ese género que los musicólogos denominan inclasificable."

More afro-columbian cumbia:

Last edited:

claphands

Poorly-known member
I'm out of the loop nowadays, but:

Free rebajada compilation: http://www.hulkshare.com/nfcmx/rebajado-15-vol-2

I dig vol-1 as well, but I can't find a link at the moment.

multiple free downloads here of various zzk albums: http://zzkrecords.com/album

if you look around you can find all sorts of net labels with hidden gems here and there:
http://www.tropicall.mx/discos.html

mix I did a couple of years ago that was a "night bus" version of cumbia digital and its offshoots/relatives:

tracklist:
Code:
1.   Intro
2.   El Remelon – Basta Ya (Todos Somos Inmigrantes) f/ Lido Pimienta
3.   Daleduro – Bombon Aesino
4.   Tremor – Caracol
5.   Bootlegumachine – Bye La Le! [Reba-fuckin-jada]
6.   Dj Rupture and Matt Shadetek – Sunset B35
7.   El-B – Son de Cali
8.   Maga Bo – Nakhil f/ K-Libre [Kush Agora and Bakir Remix]
9.   Frickstailers – Bicho De Luz
10.   Miriam Garcia & Alicia Solans – Pintar el Sol [Chanca Via Circuito remix]
11.   Southern Nights – Narcocorrido
12.   La Cumbia Moderna de Soledad – Crees Que Soy Sexy + Tim Hecker – In the Air I 2
13.   The Midnight Society – I’ll Hold On f/ Jhon Eric and Hector El Father [Autobus Nocturno refix]