cycling to work in London

john eden

male pale and stale
I just bought a bike at the weekend (in time for all the rain, nice one) and am considering trying cycling to work, maybe, possibly.

Does anyone else on here do that?

I'd quite like to get a bit fitter and save some money, but I don't want to get crushed under the wheels of a bendy bus.

Plus I do a fair bit of reading and music listening on the way to work.

So I have mixed feelings about it... :)

Any evangelists out there who can persuade me? Any tips?

Do you turn up to work all stinky?

Client Eastwood

i dont cycle to work and dont live in london, but i simply cant ride a bike and listen to music. i tend to rely on my hearing a lot will riding. when i tried riding with headphones i felt like i was missing on a heap of information that helps me ride.

i seen people with big cans on a bike, i just dont get it. maybe its a leeds ting 'n' ting.

luka

i did it for a couple of years and loved every minute of it. i dont do it now cos i dont live in london. youre stupid if you dont do it. im an evangelist. its so fun. i love hitting the gaps! ive been hit by a bus and ive headbutted the asphalt. i never wore a helmet but thats not clever. wear the helmet. but dont be a cissy. get on it.

luka

i sometimes listened to music too. its really fun. probably not clever though. makes you get all hyped up and go fast and take even more risks than usual.

john eden

male pale and stale
i sometimes listened to music too. its really fun. probably not clever though. makes you get all hyped up and go fast and take even more risks than usual.

Ha ha, big up luka. That is exactly why I wouldn't listen to music on a bike.

But yeah I guess the thing to do is just give it a go...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I just bought a bike at the weekend (in time for all the rain, nice one) and am considering trying cycling to work, maybe, possibly."
I'm in the same situation actually, well my friend moved out of London and left his bike in my house. For me the pros are: It will save me money, it will probably be quicker and it will get me fit - the cons are: I like to read on the bus, I haven't ridden a bike for ages and I might die (especially because I'm half asleep in the morning) and I don't really need to rely on riding a bike to get fitter 'cause I'm playing football and squash twice a week at the moment, also (possibly the clincher) I am a sweaty bastard and if anything I need to put less physical effort in on my way to work, plus, where will I put it when I get here?
Also, what's the law on helmets and stuff like that? Do you need to have one or is it optional?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
It's quite life affirming. NDEs are like that. I used to do Kentish Town to TCR which is easy but one day had close call on Gower Street so stopped for ages. Later it was Chalk Farm to Elephant - that's a lot of fun. Aldwych and Vauxhall are just mental. :)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I used to cycle from Stokey to Old Street and that was a fabulous commute, I loved it.

You need to get the map of London cycle routes - used to be available from the London cycling campaign, dunno if that's still going.

It can be really good but you can be as careful as you like and still get squashed. One of my mates from my MBA had full high visibillty kit on and a van driver just didn't look where she was. Broke her collar bone and never knew what he'd done.

tryptych

waiting for a time
I did, until my shiny nice new Cannondale got pinched from inside our fucking office cause someone left the door a little ajar. Grrr.

I only did a short commute from Clapton to Shoreditch, and it was about 3 times as fast as taking the bus, which means rolling out of bed a whole lot later.

Be prepared to start cursing the thoughtlessness of drivers in general, and bus drivers in particular. The narrow way at the top or Mare St is particularly exciting.

viktorvaughn

I commute from Stokey to The Strand every day by bike. It's great! I cannot stand waiting for public transport now, I feel itchy-footed and powerless.

It's quicker than a bus. It keeps me fit. It's free. It's green.

There are some horribly rammed streets though (Threadneedle is aptly named in this case!) and you need to weave past all the buses, the white vans parked in the cycle lanes, the suits stepping into the road without looking, the couriers wizzing past etc. but it's still great.

If you cycle in the winter in a t-shirt and you are moderately fit (ie it's not a huge workout) I don't think you should get too sweaty and I just put on a fresh shirt at work. You can still die of course but I think if you are careful, always wear a helmet, use good lights in the dark, don't listen to music and respect some/most of the laws you cut down a lot of the risk. And cycling back 20 miles or so from a friends house on a Sunday after a weekend of excess is such a nice purifying feeling. Where is your commute John?

I can honestly saying getting a bike changed my life, in a very mundane day-to-day sense. I spend hardly anything on transport any more, London just shrinks to the max as soon as you get a decent bike and purchase an A-Z. It is so empowering.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
The London Cyclist's Network (or whatever they are called) were providing "tutorials" for people who were nervous about riding in London traffic. They'd send a trainer along with you to give you tips on not dying under the wheels of a 26 metre long truck. I imagine they could probably could suggest some alternative less traffic-centric routes for you as well.

I say DO IT! You've nothing to lose but your health, limbs, mobility etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I used to cycle from Stokey to Old Street"
"I commute from Stokey to The Strand"
"I only did a short commute from Clapton to Shoreditch"
Just how many dissensians live in Stoke Newington/Hackney?

"There are some horribly rammed streets though (Threadneedle is aptly named in this case!)"
I would have to go down there - well I guess I wouldn't have to but it's the obvious route.

"I can honestly saying getting a bike changed my life, in a very mundane day-to-day sense. I spend hardly anything on transport any more, London just shrinks to the max as soon as you get a decent bike and purchase an A-Z. It is so empowering."
You do make it sound good.
But again, does anyone know the law on helmets?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Here is their page on Cycling to Work which has lots of links to persuasive arguments...
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=408

Training is mentioned here: http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=318

Ties in a bit with what we talked about on your blog yesterday, I think there's a whole massive community of people out there who you could hook up with, and take it whereever you want. Before you know it, you could be leading a mounted cycle charge against the riot police at the G8 ...

viktorvaughn

Just how many dissensians live in Stoke Newington/Hackney?

I would have to go down there - well I guess I wouldn't have to but it's the obvious route.

You do make it sound good.
But again, does anyone know the law on helmets?

You are not legally obliged to wear a helmet as far as I know. And yes a lot seem to live in Stoke Newington and Dalston!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Sorry, but if Dissensus management discovers that a poster does not live in Stoke Newington, Dalston or Hackney (i.e. within sprinting distance of either the Rio, Abney Park cemetery or Hackney Central BR) and does not have a valid excuse then their membership will be suspended.

mos dan

fact music
Sorry, but if Dissensus management discovers that a poster does not live in Stoke Newington, Dalston or Hackney (i.e. within sprinting distance of either the Rio, Abney Park cemetery or Hackney Central BR) and does not have a valid excuse then their membership will be suspended.

hehehe.

i have been postponing joining the cycling hordes of hackney (it's quite inspiring to see how many people are peddling down kingsland road at 8.30am/6.30pm) - but i know i should do. i don't think the helmet issue (i.e. potential death vs looking like a 5-year-old with no fashion sense) is an issue anymore - just get one of those cool stunt man/bmx helmets.

john eden

male pale and stale
Wow what a great thread!

My commute also begins in Stoke Newington / Stamford Hill -> Blackfriars. :D

I had a bit of a rummage at the weekend and it looks like Camden LCC have done an online route planner for cyclists (in beta but my route seemed to make sense).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I made someone fall off his bike on Monday morning. I was crossing the road dopily not looking where I was going and suddenly the crowds of fellow crossers parted on both sides and I could see this guy - quite far off - peddling furiously straight at me. I tried to step back but he had adjusted his course, then I moved forward again just as he steered back to his original heading, basically like when you walk into someone because you keep changing direction in the same way. Eventually he just desperately slammed on the breaks, fell over and then kind of skidded down the road towards me ending up in a pile at my feet. He wasn't as annoyed about it as I would have been strangely enough. Still, he was obviously travelling too fast for the conditions and probably deserved it.

"Sorry, but if Dissensus management discovers that a poster does not live in Stoke Newington, Dalston or Hackney (i.e. within sprinting distance of either the Rio, Abney Park cemetery or Hackney Central BR) and does not have a valid excuse then their membership will be suspended."
Quite right too. My cycle would also start in Dalston and continue down either Kingsland Road or Balls Pond Road - maybe I could even vary it to keep things interesting, now there's an idea.

"Rich, I don't think it's illegal to cycle without a helmet (it would seem one of the most unenforcable laws ever for a start)"
That's what they said about banning drinking on the tube. Hmm maybe I can get round that law by riding or have the pc-nazis banned drinking on your bike as well?

"Or not, according to Meyer Hillman"
Heard that point of view before. I guess I'm good to go then.