giggs

Couldn't tell you- I haven't listened to Deja on a regular for a long long time. Plus I can't get it on the FM anymore I don't think.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It has, yes, but I don't really see the correlation in terms of the popularity of that to a burgeoning South London rap scene that's been hanging around for ages.

I'm not really talking about the "scene" or its existence, but the need for a certain "feel" to the music...

And of course I would be proposing that the rappers in the U.K are rapping about the sort of social implications of DEALing crack, not using crack. Guns. Gangs. Etc.

luka

that skit where the racist boy says he hates black people but loves giggs is a bit weird

nomadthethird

you can buy real cocaine easily and relatively cheaply so why be a crackhead?

just for the record, the availability of powdered cocaine has little to nothing to do with the prevalence of crack. crack is an ounce-for-ounce cheaper and much more powerfully addictive high, and an all-around "stronger" and "different" drug experience than you get with powdered cocaine. crack easily devastates communities that are otherwise fairly low in powdered cocaine use. the drug culture surrounding crack is also very very different than coke's.

not to be pedantic or anything ;)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
For me as a long term hiphop user - y'know, I was at Roxanne Shante and Biz Markie gigs back in the day - grime just changed everything for us in the UK.

It's hard I think for that to translate; culturally the US was so endemic here - y'know, and rightly so, hiphop has been just this amazing thing, I'm so lucky to have been born during it - that I think it's hard for someone in the US to have the sense of relief that certainly I felt when a home-grown scene came up in London that was MC-led, let alone what the music was doing. And gradually I stopped buying the hiphop mags, stopped going on the sites, hiphop just ceased to be relevant anymore, y'know from a neoist perspective not from a pop one.

Doesn't mean I don't still listen to it, but that's what I meant when I said paucity. Maybe that's not correct, but from the perspective over here the focus totally shifted.

My favourite moment from Fuck Radio is that Devlin bit, 1:20 on this clip

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's a certain merit to regionalism when taking all this in as well though. As much as it hasn't completely eliminated people listening to American hip-hop, there's certainly an underground mixtape scene here of which Giggs is simply the tip of the iceberg.

Urgh slackk said what I did but better lol.

And yeah I think crack's pretty much on a plateau here really, Giggs is really goin with the dealer metaphor but he's not the first over here to do that either. He just came out with the right tune at the right time, really. I think even he's saying that he got lucky and wasn't expecting it.

luka

has anyone else noticed that giggs has struck up a friendship with the notorious marcello carlin?

nomadthethird

For me as a long term hiphop user - y'know, I was at Roxanne Shante and Biz Markie gigs back in the day - grime just changed everything for us in the UK.

It's hard I think for that to translate; culturally the US was so endemic here - y'know, and rightly so, hiphop has been just this amazing thing, I'm so lucky to have been born during it - that I think it's hard for someone in the US to have the sense of relief that certainly I felt when a home-grown scene came up in London that was MC-led, let alone what the music was doing. And gradually I stopped buying the hiphop mags, stopped going on the sites, hiphop just ceased to be relevant anymore, y'know from a neoist perspective not from a pop one.

Doesn't mean I don't still listen to it, but that's what I meant when I said paucity. Maybe that's not correct, but from the perspective over here the focus totally shifted.

My favourite moment from Fuck Radio is that Devlin bit, 1:20 on this clip

Yeah, I figured this was the case, but I wondered if there was maybe more to it just because it seems that some people are like super-anti hip-hop in favor of grime.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Yeah, I figured this was the case, but I wondered if there was maybe more to it just because it seems that some people are like super-anti hip-hop in favor of grime.

I have never noticed this. In fact, most people who like grime like hip hop, and have liked hip hop before grime was even a genre. The only case I see of grime fans being anti hip-hop is in their criticism of grime artists making hip hop themselves.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I had chronic insomnia the other night and I swear the fucking Giggs freestyle went through my head about sixty thousand times

but all I could really remember was 'I talk about the handgun alot'

Simon78

right, i found their myspace;
http://www.myspace.com/gforcecamp

and that they've got a CD out, "No Mersh";
http://www.ukrecordshop.com/item/g-force-camp-no-mersh.html

Which looks FUCKED but there's none in stock. You can buy it through their myspace on paypal in theory but fuck that because I don't trust it.

I've got this, bought it ages ago from UKRecordshop because it had D Double & Jammer on it. I haven't listened to it for a while.

I will have a listen now.

Sef

Wild Horses
Got a bad tem-pah, and my gang’s with it (chyeah), If I click it it’s only cos my hand fidgets (click). I aint talkin’ poppin’ by when my gang visits (visits), if I catch your pussy face imma Stan Smith it (nngh!).

Stan Smith from American Dad?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Got a bad tem-pah, and my gang’s with it (chyeah), If I click it it’s only cos my hand fidgets (click). I aint talkin’ poppin’ by when my gang visits (visits), if I catch your pussy face imma Stan Smith it (nngh!).

Adidas Stan Smiths. No?

RAISED BY WOLVES

Unintentional comedy gold.

Sounds just like Pound Sterling and Bones, also from Lewisham. Is it the same crew of people?
Their Beat Robbery CDs about 4 or 5 years ago were pretty good UK gangsta.

RAISED BY WOLVES

By the way Slackk, I'm really feeling this Hollowman n Dubs tape (mostly hollowman though, fuck dubz). What's walk in the park saying?

I find that giggs' sound is refreshingly original from a stateside perspective. I hated "UK Rap" (I use the term very loosely and generally) before I discovered grime in 04, so it says alot to me that I'm liking this...