giggs

computer_rock

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I was talking about the TV programme :)

Wonder how many (if any) grime MCs/producers read the Wire magazine? It does have the odd grime feature, and a good grime primer by Simon Reynolds a few years ago

CrowleyHead

Luka's not kidding about digging through the back annals of threads though. I'm slowly doing it with the funky section to expand my knowledge on the genre, but JFC you guys. One of you thought Lupe Fiasco was the best MC. Zhao was trying to lecture us on appreciating how Grime was THE NEW FUTURE OF URBAN MUSIC and now every other grime instrumental is Footsie desperately trying to emulate S-X emulating trap or "Hot Nigga" remixes (no extensive flaming up, I wish we kind of did get subdued by grime, grime has so much more capability than rap, but maaan)

Anyway, Giggs is hands down one of the best things that's happened to your nation. He's got such a distinctive voice as an MC compared to your history of hip-hop mcs.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have a 100% record for not liking things that are good at first. My instincts are terrible.

Giggs will always be remembered in rap history for his use of parsnips in a bar. I wanted him to go down the gardening path with a mixtape about tending to his "A Lot Ment" but no luck. The gardener/dealer axis has been under employed in rap and would heighten his appeal to the over 65s.

luka

Tbf dig about in old I love music threads and you will see clueless on a whole other order of magnitude

CrowleyHead

Tbf dig about in old I love music threads and you will see clueless on a whole other order of magnitude

I tried that once for a grime thread and my hair started falling out. I've only heard about ilx and I generally believe my life is better never ever investigating that site.

@rubber; Dizzee is a genius, but tons of geniuses do bad/poor/stupid things. David Lynch is a genius but he's a moronic child, you know?

rubberdingyrapids

i like how giggs flows now more than before. before he seemed to be trying to overdo the whole peckham jeezy-ness. but jeezy sounds a bit more animated now, and funnily enough, so does giggs. hes good at the whole casually malevolant thing.

benjybars

village elder.
C'mon Dizzee's alright on that tune. Video is good too. Not enough Blackwall Tunnel shots in music videos if you ask me.

luka

apparently there are good R&B/hip-hop/garage nights at the Stratford Rex, which is just down the road from me, but everyone I know is too scared to go :(
― The Lex (The Lex), Wednesday, 16 February 2005 11:32 (10 years ago) Permalink

I love music
Lol

rubberdingyrapids

yeah dizzees good on that track i reckon, even if it sounds like hes making quite a bit of effort... dizzees become a bit too obsessed with technique.