Olympics

crackerjack

Right, you fucking miseries, the real stuff has started now. Usain Bolt has just walked (literally) his heat in 9.92 secs. Unless he trips over in the final, he should do the world record what Beamon did in 68.

Now our major medal hope devolves to...Kelly Southerton!
And nice Kelly S is in 5th, ho hum. What about Oduwu and the 400m runner who was banned/unbanned?

hucks

Your Message Here

Cycling totally counts. It's a real sport, based on being quickest, not some judge's opinion. Olympics is the most important competition. The whole world has bikes. There are 9 million in Beijing (Melua ) alone. Though I can't figure out how they got a gold by winning three races aginst one other team each time. Somehow it doesn't seem like much of a competition.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Cycling totally counts. It's a real sport, based on being quickest, not some judge's opinion. Olympics is the most important competition. The whole world has bikes. There are 9 million in Beijing (Melua ) alone. Though I can't figure out how they got a gold by winning three races aginst one other team each time. Somehow it doesn't seem like much of a competition.

lol at citing melua like it's an academic footnote :D

cycling's just a way of getting around, just as ridiculous as competitive sailing. you may as well have olympic tuk-tuk racing or motorcross. or olympic train-driving? no okay, now i'm being silly.

craner

Beast of Burden
I agree - Olympics is all about the athletics. It steps up. Bolt looked incredible. Hardly ever seen anything like it. Tyson Gay tight and tense like US sprinters always are - but not convincing like these lovely, lanky, rhythmic Jamaican runners. I expect Bolt to get a new record tomorrow - who doesn't?

Sotherton has never convinced me. Gold? Wild hype, i.e. desperation. And she's 3rd today by the way, not 5th. I doubt that's good enough - 1st day is always her best day. Women's Hept has been one of the most exciting events now for about 10 years, but it's not the same competition without Karolina Kluft. This has been the weakest field for many years. Sotherton ought to be 2nd or even top by now, to hope to hold it in the second day. I don't actually like her that much, to be honest.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Right, you fucking miseries, the real stuff has started now. Usain Bolt has just walked (literally) his heat in 9.92 secs. Unless he trips over in the final, he should do the world record what Beamon did in 68.

Didn't manage to catch this live, so for anyone else who didn't, because it is quite insane to see a man jogging in 9.92 seconds:

crackerjack

That's mental. Bolt has taken .03 off his own world record, despite spending the last 10m looking to his right and beating his chest. What happened to dipping for the line? And what will his time be when he eventually runs flat out for all 100m?

don_quixote

Trent End
that was superhuman

craner - our major medal hope is idowu isn't it? sotherton is going backwards, just a shame jessica ennis wasn't there to kick her ass into retirement

mixed_biscuits

That's mental. Bolt has taken .03 off his own world record, despite spending the last 10m looking to his right and beating his chest. What happened to dipping for the line? And what will his time be when he eventually runs flat out for all 100m?

Yeah, that was absolutely phenomenal. Colin Jackson reckoned that he will get close to 9.5s soon enough.

craner

Beast of Burden
"I wasn't bragging," he said. "When I thought I had the field covered I was celebrating. I was happy."

As for setting a new world record, he added: "I didn't know I'd broken it until my victory lap.

"When I ran the earlier round I felt the world record was possible because it's a new track, it's fast. But I came out here just to win.

Amazing. Just incredible to watch. How fast can he go? If he actually tries? Dwain fucking who? He should be glad he stayed home.

craner

Beast of Burden
Idowu maybe, he's full of shit though, we'll see. Triple jump was my event too! (Welsh Junior 1994-5, Swansea Harrier 1996.) But then I also loathed Edwards. Interested to see how Christine Ohuruogu does. I like her, and she has talent.

craner

Beast of Burden
Also, I love Ennis. Was gutted she got injured. I really do want her to do well, and I think she'll do ok. I reckon a World Champ medal in the next for years, probably not 2012 gold. Who knows? I'd like it. Superior to Sotherton, I think.

don_quixote

Trent End
britains third in the medals table. take away michael phelps and theyre above america. although i guess that includes relays and so america would have won them anyway but welllll

hucks

Your Message Here
Interested to see how Christine Ohuruogu does. I like her, and she has talent.

She was brilliant today. I think it's important for Team GB (!) to get some non-transport assisted gold medals. So far we've only got 2, from the same swimmer.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, we've got another (transport - specifically sail - assisted) gold medal today already with the prospect of more to come. I'm pretty ambivalent to it all to be honest although the Mail was pretty certain yesterday with it "It's GREAT TO BE BRITISH" headline - or do they have that every day?

crackerjack

Well, we've got another (transport - specifically sail - assisted) gold medal today already with the prospect of more to come. I'm pretty ambivalent to it all to be honest although the Mail was pretty certain yesterday with it "It's GREAT TO BE BRITISH" headline - or do they have that every day?

And another cycling gold for Victoria Pembleton, with another to come from the all-Brit final in the men's. Hopefully the presence of Tony Blair among the cheerleaders at the velodrome will restore the Mail's usual apoplexy.

crackerjack

She was brilliant today. I think it's important for Team GB (!) to get some non-transport assisted gold medals. So far we've only got 2, from the same swimmer.

Looking good for silver in the high jump and i reckon Christine O will do the same in the 400m. Can we put them together to equal one gold?