Olympics

jenks

thread death
7 out of the ten golds available in the velodrome have gone to Britain - plus Nicole Cooke in the road race, tomorrow's nailed on gold in the BMX and Cavendish getting four stages at the Tour and two at the Giro.

What a remarkable year and yet I bet they'll find it hard to get a look in at Sports' Personality of the Year.

I'm wondering when the athletics squad are going to turn up.

crackerjack

Looks like they just did - a silver in the High Jump.

As predicted here, all of 20 mins ago!

posted by Crackerjack
Looking good for silver in the high jump and i reckon Christine O will do the same in the 400m.

Odowu is the only golden hope, though. Christine was great in the semi, but the American was faster and cruising. And given the shambles that is our current sprint squad, we don't even have the relays as a fallback.

crackerjack

If you're from the US then apparently a silver (or bronze) is the same as a gold. A much more sensible scoring system which keeps the US where they belong - nice try China but no cigar.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/medals.aspx

They've swapped it round. Here's the 2004 table - with China second thanks to more golds, despite winning 30 fewer than the Russians over all.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/medals.aspx

tacky fuckers

mos dan

fact music
did jade johnson compete for team gb, does anyone know? she was in the year above me at school. i think she's a jumper of some kind. also been in fhm in her underwear, which of course is every young female athlete's dream.

mos dan

fact music
She's a long jumper, just scraped through to the final.

that'll do fine, she was never olympic medal-winning quality i don't think. still, an olympic finalist! chestnut grove school ftw! i must tell my other close school friends, derby striker nathan ellington and former pop star and perpetrator of self-inflected gunshot wounds neutrino. lol.

mos dan

fact music
wow did i just miss something quite exciting?! i saw sally gunnell get the gold in barcelona, was it that kind of performance?

jenks

thread death
did jade johnson compete for team gb, does anyone know? she was in the year above me at school. i think she's a jumper of some kind. also been in fhm in her underwear, which of course is every young female athlete's dream.

Isn't she the long jumper who is allergic to sand? No, seriously...

Rambler

Awanturnik
What a remarkable year and yet I bet they'll find it hard to get a look in at Sports' Personality of the Year.

Hoy should get that, but it's going to Adlington isn't it? Hoy for a knighthood.

Really hope that the British athletics team spend most of the next four years talking to the cycling and rowing teams. They're clearly streets ahead of everyone at the moment in terms of producing elite sportsmen and -women.

Football at the moment just makes me laugh.

jenks

thread death
Yeah - cycling took its lead from rowing, spent the money from the lottery well and didn't put up with chokers and whiners. The coaches are brutal and unsentimental and push these bike riders hard. They didn't pick one of the best road racers - Hayle, despite him winning the nationals becuase they fancied the younger guys to do well and they were right.

And remember that Pendleton is a world champ three times over but only has one event in these games. They are a phenomenal team and put the track and field stars to shame.

I think many other sports have got much to learn - interesting to see boxing step up a gear and actually come good on soem of its promise, although from what i understand this system does not stand them in good stead for pro boxing.

don_quixote

Trent End
the cycling thing seems very clairefontaine (french football academy), or am i completely off the mark there?

chris hoy's thighs are just incredible. fucking hell.

hoy2803_468x674.jpg

crackerjack

the cycling thing seems very clairefontaine (french football academy), or am i completely off the mark there?

chris hoy's thighs are just incredible. fucking hell.

hoy2803_468x674.jpg

Aren't they just, tree trunks don't do em justice, they're more like battleships. I don't really get all the cat and mouse in the individual pursuit - it's great spectacle, but why all that arsing about for 1 or 2 laps when the fastest can just go for bust from the off and still win?

don_quixote

Trent End
if you sit in a sprinters slipstream you can go at the same pace and only use 60% of the energy required, hence they'll try and sprint as late as possible so as to not give the person behind an advantage.

fair play with hoy though, he probably could, his acceleration is immense, the keiren final was amazing.

feeling a bit sorry for cavendish, but i imagine he doesn't mind too much. this talked up british tour de france team is very very exciting eh?

crackerjack

if you sit in a sprinters slipstream you can go at the same pace and only use 60% of the energy required, hence they'll try and sprint as late as possible so as to not give the person behind an advantage.

I assumed it was about slipstreaming, but didn't realise the effect was that dramatic.

feeling a bit sorry for cavendish, but i imagine he doesn't mind too much. this talked up british tour de france team is very very exciting eh

Um, yeah *makes mental note not to completely forget cycling for the next 4 years*