Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

DannyL

Wild Horses
What do you make of Class War Jon? The people not the concept (which we are obviously all for, right?). I think it's interesting that they should pop up again. Too much unexamined machismo for me. I like the close following of these obscure subgroups that you (used to?) do, but I can't be arsed to do it myself and want a handy download. This is exactly the way I treat football.

Luka - you've hurt my feelings :mad:

Last edited:

luka

When? I'm very sorry in that case...I used to smoke a lot of Skunk. Is that a valid excuse? It must have been over ten years ago if it happened surely... Unless it was at the palm tree in 2012?

Last edited:

luka

I used to tell edmund to bring you to the coffee cart but he didn't get round to it

DannyL

Wild Horses
Nah, it was at one of Rich's nights. I think at The Castle in Whitechapel. We were both pretty drunk IIRC.

luka

I did go to one of riches nights at the Castle but me and my mate will were the only people there over 5,8. It was all psychedelic garage rock and young people were dressed in afghan coats and Cuban heels and doing ironic 60s dances. Will developed a crush on an American rock chick dressed in black and covered in tattoos.
Rich didn't recognise me and the beer was undrinkable so we didn't stay long

DannyL

Wild Horses
I did go to one of riches nights at the Castle but me and my mate will were the only people there over 5,8. It was all psychedelic garage rock and young people were dressed in afghan coats and Cuban heels and doing ironic 60s dances. Will developed a crush on an American rock chick dressed in black and covered in tattoos.
Rich didn't recognise me and the beer was undrinkable so we didn't stay long

I know the girl you are talking of. I was definitely there.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Carsehole is surely an example of a place where the presence of 'hipsters' must be having an antigentrifying effect on the neighbourhood.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have actually wondered how long that pub can last before it's turned into a gastropub or luxury flats. Would not surprise me in the slightest.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wouldn't complain at all if they just turned it into a slightly less shit pub.

They wouldn't have to spend a fortune, I mean a few quid for some bog roll would be a start.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've got quite fond memories of it, but that's mostly from going to jungle nights - less revivalist, more holed-up-in-a-bunker-in-the-Phillipines-refusing-to-believe-1994-is-over - five or so years ago.

john eden

male pale and stale
What do you make of Class War Jon? The people not the concept (which we are obviously all for, right?). I think it's interesting that they should pop up again. Too much unexamined machismo for me. I like the close following of these obscure subgroups that you (used to?) do, but I can't be arsed to do it myself and want a handy download. This is exactly the way I treat football.

I think they are a bit of a mess and yes the machismo is troubling - although actually the latest incarnation has counter balanced this a bit with:

1. The "Class War Women's Death Brigade"
2. Lisa McKenzie
3. Adam Clifford
Although their presence overlooking the last big anti-austerity march with a huge "We have found new homes for rich" banner (showing a graveyard) was pretty sinister.

But these things are messy. Ian Bone has always had a thing about explosive momentum - just keep hammering away with stunts and outrages and don't worry about the details. The idea is always to capture a particularly pissed off section of the working class and translate that anger into action. I think that is needed now more than ever.

But my actual politics are much more about doing the unglamorous legwork in working class communities / workplaces which requires talking to all sorts of people about more mundane stuff and then actually sticking around and trying to do something about it - an entirely different skillset.

You can't do both of these things - it has to be one or the other. I suspect CW have more of a laugh with what they are doing, but ultimately it might be a subcultural dead end. Not that my results are any better.

Bone's book is a great read.

It's interesting that they have basically gone from being non-existent to being all over the papers in the space of a couple of years.

Their protests against poor doors in Whitechapel and the Ripper Museum are great. The election campaign was pretty poor though it did have its moments. Fuck Parades are at least an interesting idea - but I doubt they have much of a future. (CF: Stop The City in the 1980s - they managed 3 of them?)

luka

Good summary and in my opinion a very important point. We all moan but how many of us are willing or feel able to say look, fuck off son, you're not welcome

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't feel that - or not about the ceral brothers at least. Brick Lane is like the vanguard of fashion/music/irrelevance and there's a link between all of that and the profits of businesses in the local area - some of which, the curry houses at least, *are* the local community. I'm sure lots of money flows from those restaurants into the streets and estates around Brick Lane. Part of the protest is almost like a protest against fashion and trends which seems stupid in London.

Sorry if I'm retreading ground from upthread - combined with the kind of macho stuff I mentioned it makes me very wary.