plexitmind

there are ways to get around this, EG the Silver Blade/Soul Beat Runna break. but as I said to @dilbert1 ragga jungle was pretty much just-in-time cash in music. Not a value judgment, it's how it is. The artistic/studio rats won that

the soul beat runna break was constructed by Boymerang from the break up. It has some extremely edited miniscule amens in there in the mix amongst other microsampled breaks and edited drum machine hits, but they are nigh on unrecognisable because it was essentially synthesised as something new.

I remember a doa interview where he said it took him a week or so to create it.

This was completely not the ragga jungle ethos at all, where tracks would be finished in a day or two, if that.

has anyone ever compiled a list of all the original breaks that producers crafted?

blissblogger

He's wrong about "the no rules" bit, though.

As the technical pages article on engineering the sound kind of indicates - there's parameters. Quite strict specifications.

Standard talk for producers back then, of courses - "we can do anything!"

Hmmm, no - please don't.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
?? what is the context for that quote im not familiar

I assume to do with techstep. problem is (all too predictably) the scene got swamped with it, especially when it crossed with jump up.

Which is why fabio pushed liquid, which was garage meets dnb, but more so US garage instead of UK garage. Deep housey dnb etc. There are moments in the liquid funk sound but they are somewhat hard to come by, given the over-reliance on the 2step drum pattern.

Of course Solid State is Dextrous, who was one of the few who was able to reinvent without being a trendhopper. same with Spirit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
liquid today means something totally different though, ultra stadium rock trancey/edm-y dnb of netsky and co, liquidicity. I think by 2005 it had jettisoned all of its deep house/jazz funk influences for the most part. That's the thing, dnb did innovate all through the 00s, just that it mostly innovated in a direction I don't like, not being much of a rock person.

dilbert1

The VIP was nice

I take it back, this bangs and has been getting played daily. Spiritually junglistic but not in an obstinate ‘tru skool’ way, its very young and sporty. That move with the time-stretched snare at 3:12 is amazing, should’ve stuck it in the first half as well. And I never care for these faffy middle bits, but its a top contemporary tune AFAIC.

blissblogger

?? what is the context for that quote im not familiar

it's a minimalist statement. saying the essence is the drums and the bass and any "musical" coloration should be sparing

So a good example of that to me (no idea if Nico Sykes would agree) would be peak era Roni Size + DJ Die, things like "Music Box" and "11.55" , or "Daylight", where there's fusion-y bits but the heart of it is the breaks and the bass.

Which is not to say that the breaks + bass aren't intensely musical in their interrelationship, but when he says "lack of music" he means like "ease up on the synth pads, the washes, the jazzy bits.... a little goes a long way"

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I take it back, this bangs and has been getting played daily. Spiritually junglistic but not in an obstinate ‘tru skool’ way, its very young and sporty. That move with the time-stretched snare at 3:12 is amazing, should’ve stuck it in the first half as well. And I never care for these faffy middle bits, but its a top contemporary tune AFAIC.
I think the more this new stuff departs from the template of old jungle the more i rate it

I suppose if you got rid of the hackneyed old ragga samples you'd start moving it out of jungle territory but i do think that sort of thing holds it back... in 1994

Perhaps there's something now implicitly retro in using sampled breaks, particularly endlessly sampled breaks, it sounds 'analogue' (when footwork uses these old samples it still sounds more like new music)

Although this example you're talking about does depart in pleasing ways from the urtext

blissblogger

what are your favourite post-98 bohemian jazzman liquid tracks Simon?

I did like the first disc of 4 Hero's Two Pages, and probably nowadays would enjoy listening to that more than the harsher, mechanistic second disc, which I rated higher at the time of release. But that is 1998 I think, so maybe not post-98.

There's hardly anything! Faint memory of buying a very pretty softcore kind of tune by a Norwegian producer in 2003 or thereabouts but I cannot dredge up the name.

I mean, there's this - but it's a bit too exuberant to count as liquid, I would have thought, and all the "musicality" in it is coming from the sampled source as opposed to instrumental playing from the artist. Which is the way to do it really.

How well I remember having this ghastly yellow CD single lying around the house in 2002!

I suppose, though, from '98 onwards I'd be equally turned off by the overtly anti-musical and the overtly musical directions coming out of drum and bass.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I suppose, though, from '98 onwards I'd be equally turned off by the overtly anti-musical and the overtly musical directions coming out of drum and bass.
This is the thing about a lot of exciting moments in dance music, isn't it. The thing that makes them exciting is the tension between basically incompatible elements, which also makes them inherently unstable. You think you're being clever by rejecting the bad one and then when you finally get just the pure good stuff you realize it's kind of uninspiring on its own.

As a wise music critic once said, maybe if the bits that suck didn't suck so much, the bits that rock wouldn't rock so much.