Lady Sovereign - the Grime test

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
This reply is going to go round the houses, up onto the north circular, link up with the m25 and back again, but I shall get back... so bear with me.

I actually decided to stay and take part in this forum because I like to discuss music. I've liked to discuss music long before I was a dj. I've liked to discuss music long before I played on Rinse. I liked to discuss music long before I had any sort of weight behind my name in this scene.

The reason I am on this forum as opposed to one of the many other forums I could choose to waffle endlessly about music is because the community that makes up this forum is generally far better educated in music as a whole and has a wealth of experience and factual references to back up it's opinions. Also I don't have to sit through endless "YeR kAnOs EvVY" "nAH BLUD HES FULLY SWAG!!!1" debates.

However I have noticed that people are getting a little carried away with the classic message board mentality of absolute opinions. There's a stubbornness about some of the points made in here which is evident in some of the undertones of the replies. Instead of stating your opinion, it seems it needs to be backed up with reasons why the person you disagree with is not capable of coming to the supposed right conclusion.

And this is all relevant when it comes to my opinion on Lady Sovereign. Lady Sovereign is a musical act signed by a major label who will release tracks to the public with the hope of them selling. There are no set pre-requisites for someone to sell, otherwise every one would follow the EXACT same formula every time. And we know this to be true as formula driven acts such as One True Voice and Hear'say end up as failures. They however did have fans. They didn't come out and not sell a single record. And while some people might have said "One True Voice are bound to fail as they are cashing in on the Pop Idol formula and lack the fundamentals to succeed and survive after the initial hype dies down", others may have disagreed wholeheartedly and stood by them until the death? I believe Lady Sovereign does not posess enough talent or the unique quality of someone such as Kano, Dizzee or even Wiley, who's album was a failure in terms of sales, to survive on the back of this scene longterm. That is not saying that she has zero appeal to her music. that is not saying that I believe she is destined to be a complete flop. I could quite plausibly see her branching off into other genres of music after her initial release if she gains some success from it in order to continue her career, tenuously similar to the way Daniel Beddingfield managed to do well for himself long after Gotta Get Through This was forgotten.

I don't like Lady Sovereign's stuff so far. I feel utter empathy for her music and I really only comment on her out of boredom while sitting at home doing far more boring paperwork. Everyone else who has ever mentioned her that I know in the scene has expressed similar opinions, often far more derogatory, but would work with her in order to further their own career due to the exposure they might receive from it. The comment that "so what if she hasn't paid her dues" is amusing. No one has any problems with anyone "paying dues". It's not like people are sitting holding tickets waiting for their numbers to be called and this spritely young lady has leapfrogged the queue. The beauty about this scene is that people get noticed due to them doing something right. Sovereign's manager, and Sovereign herself have managed to put her over as an act that major labels see as marketable, and she portrays herself as a tongue in cheek fun act. nothing wrong with that. But artists within the scene don't take her seriously. Again, nothing wrong with that either. The average Joe Bloggs living in Romford watching MTV Base wouldn't know that Tinchy Stryder has been graftin on the underground for years as opposed to Lady Sovereign unless he was told. When you get to the mainstream audience, underground credibility really counts for very little. it is the product you release and how it is marketed which matters. When people are shown an act that is labelled as "the biggest thing *on road* right now" and hear it foten enough from enough sources, they will end up accepting it. I read a press release for The Mitchell Brothers which said they released a 1000 copies of their mixtape and it was the biggest thing on road. I'd never heard their name mentioned before in my life before I was posted the Brother tune they did on The Beats.

Anyone can sell. I hope Sovereign sells fantastically well with many featured artists and guest producers on her album, then goes off and says she makes music, not grime, and the people who have come through the underground can represent the stuff properly.

This knee jerk reaction at my genuine concern that grime might end up fizzling out like UK Garage being some sort of protective hating is wrong. I play this music because I love it. I made a point of solely playing vocals on my show and my cd so that the artists can shine, not the producers and DJ's. I believed that was the way to help make the scene grow, and over the past 18 months of doing so it seems to have been proved correct, as it is the artists who have taken the music further afield, as opposed to the producers taking the lime light as it was in the Underground Garage scene.

Anyways, nothing against Lady Sovereign, I just can't bring myself to listen to her music without wanting to turn it off quickly. That's just my opinion, and I don't believe it to be any more important than anyone else with a username on these forums or any other person in the world. If you like her, make sure you support her releases when they come out.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Oh, and "real" in terms of it being a slang terms means being honest to one's self. It is often mis-used by impressionable youths to mean acting like a gangster. It's only real if you actually are living that life, not putting it on for show.

nomos

Administrator
And I'm glad you're here Logan. Seriously. I'm not trying to be antagonistic or personal in the least. I'm speaking generally. I'm also saying what I believe after having gone through very similar debates over Hip Hop 12-15 years ago.

And honestly, I think this is one of the best threads yet. I can't remember another recent one that stayed hot all day. Big up to everyone who's been saying their bit.

turtles

in the sea
agreed, top thread.

i totally understand the feeling of "there's so many more talented people out there! why this artist?!?" i've felt that many a time. i'm sure we all have.

but anyway, it occurs to me that really, it's actually quite important that different paths to success for grime artists open up in order for grime to expand from underground to mainstream. In order for grime to really take off, i think it's going to have to move outside of its traditional east london, pirate radio base, unless we wanna start defining grime as specifically being derived from these two things. Thinking of hip hop, there's still plenty of MCs and such that battle up from the street, but there's also plenty of other ones that take the lady sov route and head more directly to the majors. This seems kinda important.

So er, yeah, lady sovereign as the face of the "new" grime. the mainstream version. Since this seems to be what a lot of grime MCs desire, they may have to expand their view of what grime can be and where it can come from.

stardust

BabelTek Generation
it happens to most musical scenes

Whew! I don't know if I took all of that in to the extent that I should have to be posting this humble little note, but:
Popular "stuff" is popular because it is easily accesible. Truly hoppin' popular personalities will never be 'elite' in their tastes because they are much too busy being the social galavant to seek out rare culture! Those who call themselves connosuiers or elitists are truly Geeks with a capital G at heart.
I don't know of Lady Sov because, well, I live in the frigid north called Alaska, but there is probably something about her that is 'easily accesible' to a more general audience in contrast to any other grime artists out there right now. And even though she may not be as 'real' as we'd all hope her to be representing a genre deserving, she is the most approachable figure out there who can claim some grounds for grime music. She is, as I have gathered from reading this thread, an Open Door for further exploration into a great musical scene. And by god, you can't just "get it" immediately upon approaching an entrance!
Who gives a damn if some people know just her and claim this or that about grime music. Their ignorance to the scene doesn't threaten your love and respect for it- how can it, really? They're staring at the doorknob and crying wolf about what's behind it.
But because there is now this cheeky public persona out there, some people will actually open that door and step into a world of music they may have never discovered before without her prevalance. And they may become notable contributers to the music scene, or they may just lurk on forums and spout their opinions about bpms and whathaveyous- who's to say. Certainly not me.
Where was this going? Right, this happens to most subcultures and musical scenes and I hate to see anyone whining about it because that'd just be in vain. Keep the music real for yourself and communicate your knowledge of it without seeming condescending and maybe you've got something going here!
Maybe people will say Hey look- those people really know and love their music, there's got to be a reason for that.
Good lord am I longwinded!

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Logan Sama said:
I have noticed that people are getting a little carried away with the classic message board mentality of absolute opinions. There's a stubbornness about some of the points made in here.

We're all really glad that you're here Logan, it's just that when people throw strong opinions at a bunch of strongly opinionated people (especially when some of us have made careers, of varying degrees of importance, out of exactly these traits!), things tend to get a bit heated.
The very first post I made was disagreeing with you, but *with* the added caveat that I had a lot of respect for you. That goes for pretty much everyone I encounter on this board because the vast majority of folks who use it are pretty decent, knowledgeable and eager to learn about music.
Anyway, the very slight butting of heads that's gone on within this thread has made it one of the best ones we've had here in ages.

Logan Sama said:
I could quite plausibly see her branching off into other genres of music after her initial release if she gains some success from it in order to continue her career, tenuously similar to the way Daniel Beddingfield managed to do well for himself long after Gotta Get Through This was forgotten.

Good God, I hope not - can't imagine anything worse.

Logan Sama said:
artists within the scene don't take her seriously.

Do you think that this has quite a bit to do with her being a woman. It would be tough for her to be taken seriously anyway, surely?

luka

the 'she's a girl' angle is a red herring
look at miss dynamite. she got a lot of respect in her MC days.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
In terms of the "she's a girl" angle. Look at No Lay. Everyone I speak to gives her a great deal of respect. I think however that Sovereign being not only a woman, but a very young looking woman makes it even easier for acts who are working the underground route to dismiss her. But that isn't the crux of it. It is simply that they don't respect her as an entire package as an artist.

I think she could sell well. And while people might think that the word Chav is some horrible type of derision for the "poor", her label are definitely going to be angling her towards the culturally confused masses of youngsters who have adopted butchered Patois and hip hop dress sense into their lives around the country.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Logan Sama said:
In terms of the "she's a girl" angle...

she's also a white woman, which like it or not, appears to be more marketable to the British public. look at some other "white" and "urban" artists: The Streets and Joss Stone (!). their sales speak for themselves.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
just be mad

just to fling my two cents into the fracas:

I really am not feeling this whole, is she real, is she good for the scene reh reh reh. She is a musician trying to do her own thing. Unlucky for her she is a skinny white girl trying to make it in a game dominated by black boys. I would venture that she HAD to go through some kind of backdoor if she wanted to go anywhere. Have you seen those pirates? Even a lot of the guys are scared to go down there, I don't slate her for not doing it, given that.

But really it comes down to, can she spit? I say YES, she can spit like crazy. She rides the rhythm and makes whole songs alone herself that sound good end to end and are entertaining. She is a good MC, she deserves to get on. Fuck the scene, she is going for hers and winning, good for her.

And re: the scene, now she is working on tracks with Jammer and she put Riko on her single from jail. Obviously she respects the roads and it seems that they respect her back. Musical talent is a great transcender of boundaries. All you haters, just go ahead and be mad.

mpc

wasteman
SIZZLE said:
I really am not feeling this whole, is she real, is she good for the scene reh reh reh. She is a musician trying to do her own thing. Unlucky for her she is a skinny white girl trying to make it in a game dominated by black boys. I would venture that she HAD to go through some kind of backdoor if she wanted to go anywhere. Have you seen those pirates? Even a lot of the guys are scared to go down there, I don't slate her for not doing it, given that.

You make it appear that she has been trying to get onto the pirates, but she is being pushed out because she is white. Lady Sovereign was discovered on a documentary. She's just a very lucky girl who can MC quite competently. If she hadn't been discovered, there's no way she'd ever have anything to do with the grime scene. She made a few tracks with Medasyn (and Shystie who is equally as crap), which were very shit 2 step records. She's a very average MC. Everyone knows her from 'ch ching' which was a well produced grime record. If sunship (or whoever produced ch ching) decided to make a sped up rnb style 2 step record, then lady sovereign would have absolutely no tangible link to the grime scene to cling to. I think the problem Logan and others have with her is that she is heralded as being a grime artist, but she's just someone can MC who has made 1 grime record. The only reason Riko and Jammer are having anything to do with her is because they want to get more recognition. I can't imagine they'd have anything to do with her if she wasn't famous.

'Random' is not a grime record and it's fucking awful. She MCs with a constipated tone. If Britney Spears got Lil' John to produce a few tracks on her album, would that make her a crunk artist?

Clubberlang

mpc said:
If Britney Spears got Lil' John to produce a few tracks on her album, would that make her a crunk artist?

No, but those Lil' Jon tracks could very well be "crunk-y". Unless you don't think "Yeah" is at all crunk in which case well that's craziness. This what is "real grime" tip you are on makes no sense though. Who gives a shit if something is authentic or not? "Fake"/pop/crass crossover stuff is quite often the most fun to listen to (Jesus I sound like Chuck Eddy haha, but really in this case he's totally right.)

mpc

wasteman
not entirely sure what you're saying, but how would describe grime? i.e. what defines the scene?

i don't see how lady sovereign fits in to the grime scene at all. i.e. she has nothing to do with the grime scene.

The point i'm making is that every song with an english MC on isn't called grime.

i didn't mention anything about being "real". I couldn't care less if lady sovereign was a 6 year old flid from wales. If she was making grime, then she would just as "real" as anyone else who makes grime.

Clubberlang

Frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about. Who cares if she's part of the "grime scene" or if she'd recorded "Ch Ching" over warmed over mariachi music instead? She's released the singles she released and critics and fans (most of whom are at least passingly familiar with OTHER stuff of this nature) are comfortable enough calling some of it grime that she's gotten tagged with the name. I doubt she's going around trying to fool anyone in the "know" (you know those people who "get it" unlike poor schlubs like me who've been tricked into liking "Ch Ching" and "The Battle" by aggressive marketing tactics and cutesiness apparently) and I seriously doubt the record company is going to push as anything other than "pop" (regardless of how her records sound.) But even if she did or even if they do, WHO cares?!?! Why does this matter?

S

simon silverdollar

all this stuff about what's grime and what isn't just strikes me as a bit irrelevent. i mean, is 'gype riddim' grime? is davinche's recent cut-up soft-noise fennesz style cuts [e.g 'baby' and 'mish mash']? is roll deep's 'let it out'?

who cares.

the good thing about grime was always the 'anything goes' attitude. if it's honest, and different, and made for MCs, then it can be grime.

rules are the death of scenes.