Lady Sovereign - the Grime test

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I don't think I said she wasn't grime.

People are judged on their achievements, and she is yet to prove herself. If she goes on to sell units or make music that I like then it's all good.

DJL

i'm joking
10 pages of discussion and for the boys that new pic on Chantelle Fiddy's blog clears it up for me

Diaz

i have to say that i agree with DJL here, i think:
I like what i've heard (which is solely the stuff from run the road) and she's totally hawt and i am in absolutely no place to talk about what's appropriate or authentic for grime, so I will do my job as a consumer and like her arbitrarily.

DJL

i'm joking
Diaz said:
i have to say that i agree with DJL here, i think:
I like what i've heard (which is solely the stuff from run the road) and she's totally hawt and i am in absolutely no place to talk about what's appropriate or authentic for grime, so I will do my job as a consumer and like her arbitrarily.

lol

3underscore

New picture of Sov? That picture is about a year or so old, for what it is worth. All the same, I can't really see the point of that side of things.

DJL

i'm joking
3underscore said:
New picture of Sov? That picture is about a year or so old, for what it is worth. All the same, I can't really see the point of that side of things.

Oh right, first time i've seen that pic. Not sure about the bum bag but the rest is good but probably been on the internet too long get me

dominic

Beast of Burden
i have no idea who lady sov is . . . . however, last night at the dj cameo show, i asked greg poole about a couple of the tracks he was playing. and one such track was a lady sovereign remix . . . . so for me, luvving a track by lady sovereign has nothing to do with hype or image or anything, just the raw track. couldn't tell you which lady sov track it was, but definitely bad ass

Fiddy

I love Sovereign, I'm not saying she's the best, but there's lots of people I rate for different reasons. I think she's witty, like fact doesn't take herself too seriously although she has the grounds to, she's a very strong young woman in a male dominated industry who's held her head high through many a bad time and still is. But she makes music for us to laugh at, I love that and I love grime. If I was 14 she would be my idol but at 24 I think that would make me sad. The look, the voice, the lyrics, the musical direction... it's all real. What you see really is what you get. For me, that alone deserves respect.

dominic

Beast of Burden
picked up a copy of Lady Sov's "Random" remixes at Kim's Video yesterday . . . . this may or may not be grime, but it's incontestably wicked

run_time

anyone make it down to the showcase at Phonica...she's got even more personality on stage than she does in her recorded output imho.

3underscore

I was going to drop down and say hi but didn't know what time she was going on at. You're right though, she is very good at working a crowd and getting things going.

What time did she go on (he asks hoping it was after his last train back).

gumdrops

seems like the grime cognoscenti dont like sov because she isnt part of the scene and didnt come from 'within'. which makes it sound like some sort of old boys club. nothing wrong with a scene being somewhat protective of itself though, grimes still in the early stages.

sov is gimmicky though, she isnt much of an MC, even if she does have bags of charisma, quirkiness, and personality. shes got that gimmicky quirkiness of a grime missy elliot, as opposed to the out and out weirdness of say, a grime kool keith (should there ever be one). its kind of the same reason i dont see whats so great about ears' happy days - he seems like a thoroughly lacklustre MC, save some whimsy and youthfulness. similarly, sov seems like a great personality, just without the skills (for lack of a better word) to back it up. i rate the girls from fannypack higher than sov as MCs, strange as that might seem!

Last edited:

Red Rooster

I think the reason I dislike Sov so much is that really annoying jamaican accent she uses.

Nothing wrong with her lyrics or flows but just the way they're spoken is really cringe worthy

Red Rooster

Oh yeh, also....

Earlier in this topic I mentioned the word Chav to describe Sov - and was totally crucified!

However there was a "chav" program on Sky One the other week and Sov was on the program. She can't be that bothered by the tag if she agreed to be on the program.

dominic

Beast of Burden
Red Rooster said:
I think the reason I dislike Sov so much is that really annoying jamaican accent she uses.

Nothing wrong with her lyrics or flows but just the way they're spoken is really cringe worthy

well if you put matters that way, it makes her sound like Sting!

however, to my American ear her voice simply sounds freaky & bizarre

dominic

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
sov is gimmicky though, she isnt much of an MC, even if she does have bags of charisma, quirkiness, and personality. shes got that gimmicky quirkiness of a grime missy elliot

get ur freak on = everybody get random?