"Mature ravers only"

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I had to cover an under 18s club for The Face once, everyone was like 13-15. I found it excrutating, not least because as I'm so tall, I stuck out like an idiot.

mms

sometimes
I had to cover an under 18s club for The Face once, everyone was like 13-15. I found it excrutating, not least because as I'm so tall, I stuck out like an idiot.

i used to go to these, i saw shut up and dance at a club called the twighlight zone, in camborne cornwall, saw shut up and dance there just after they did £20 to get in, i think i was one of the few people who knew who they were, they looked bemused to say the least. I think that was the first time some people there had seen a black person in the flesh.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Slightly tangential comment, i was at the Unsound Italy party this summer, it's defo what you might call a 'mature' party peeps kinda rave.

pic

Logos

Ghosts of my life
But how weird must it be for people like Judge Jules or Andy C who must be in their 40s now - playing to audiences of drugged up teenagers every night?

Actually don't think Andy C is that old, mid 30s max. He was quite young when he started putting records out I reckon. On the other hand there are some jungle guys who were getting on a bit when things kicked off in 92 or whatever...some of the longstanding MCs are really getting on I think!

I think the age of some of the key players (DJs, producers etc) is quite a hidden thing in dance music generally...its quite easy to hide your age when you are involved in a culture where you don't have to obey normal signifiers of middle age (dress etc).

mms

sometimes
when you start to say stuff like that, you are really getting old
when i was 16 i was thinking the exact same thing, and that is quite some time ago now.

really ?
i thought that society and young people were often excessivley hedonistic, or at least too reliant on drugs and booze to have fun when i was very young and i've taken drugs and drank booze since i was 14. I just thought that english people quite excessive, like the reputation they have worldwide.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I LOVE being the totally out of order, frightening Older Person who goes around terrorising all of these young people who think they're hardcore, it's like I've finally found my metier cos I HATED being young. It's very strange. But I hardly go out anymore, I'd rather spend the money on smack and prostitutes and Gary Glitter records.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
having a quick read back, i came across as overly grumpy earlier. subdub, regardless of music played, but in terms of the overall age demogaphic (often 15-70), styles, classes, races etc is a joy.

Shonx

Shallow House
Free parties down south seem to represent 14-50 year olds. They might not be 50 though, might just live on site. It's not all glamour this raving game.

I actually think the younger folks at old skool nights generally seem to be much sounder, but usually cause their folks are old ravers so they've been brought up around it. Mate of mine in his early 30's runs an occassional old skool night here which is generally filled up with 18 year old Devvo lookalikes but they're one of the best behaved crowds he's ever played to.

Never been a problem at outdoors parties either, the older crew generally don't get as twatted (generally), and the younger ones generally behave a bit better with them around.

I think basically as long as the youngsters aren't dismissive and the older crew aren't condescending fuckers then it's all good. Does all sound the same that boom boom racket though doesn't it;)

Client Eastwood

well, friday's subdub was a very strange and disorientating experience.

i won't be attending again until after the initial student rush to get mashed at the
WI centre fades

It was for that reason that I didnt go come down. WIC in term time is too messy nowadays. I think students treat it as a place to come and get mashed.

Yes i'm in my early 40's and more or less ready to put up his dancing shoes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Interesting the way that giving an age to a name somehow changes your view of that person - up to a point. I guess it's because it gives you some more information about what was previously just a name on a computer screen. Maybe not the right thread for it but I would be interested to know the breakdown of ages across dissensus. I think that I can profile the average dissensian as white and male (with a few exceptions of course) but it seems that the age ranges from people in their teens to some who are in their fifties.

Client Eastwood

Really wish I had more time for this thread so Ill have to be quiick,
Ive lived in Chapeltown most of my live and been to many Subdub roots nights, they were historically a mix were many locals, dreads, reggae lovers would mix with an informed or inquistive younger crowd and it was a mellow vibe. But that changed over the the years as more and more local people have aged and stopped going out. They havent been replaced by younger dreads. So you will still see a few of the local dreads at the dance but more so when there is a sound/artist playing and a standard Subdub night.

The smoking ban has also mean that there are many more people on who will
only respond to massive bass drops and then onto the next record and next bass drop. The same can be said for the DMZ nights at the WIC which ive completly given up on.

viktorvaughn

It was for that reason that I didnt go come down. WIC in term time is too messy nowadays. I think students treat it as a place to come and get mashed.

Yes i'm in my early 40's and more or less ready to put up his dancing shoes.

Not totally I hope! We gotta make the trip up to Leeds sometime again...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Really wish I had more time for this thread so Ill have to be quiick,
Ive lived in Chapeltown most of my live and been to many Subdub roots nights, they were historically a mix were many locals, dreads, reggae lovers would mix with an informed or inquistive younger crowd and it was a mellow vibe. But that changed over the the years as more and more local people have aged and stopped going out. They havent been replaced by younger dreads. So you will still see a few of the local dreads at the dance but more so when there is a sound/artist playing and a standard Subdub night.

The smoking ban has also mean that there are many more people on who will
only respond to massive bass drops and then onto the next record and next bass drop. The same can be said for the DMZ nights at the WIC which ive completly given up on.

all the above seconded.