lets find a dissensus best hardcore record list

petergunn

plywood violin
Yeah, we're well on the same page.

The two scenes did converge heavily, even while maintaining some kind of weird hostility and sense of distance. It's fun to trace the cross-polination, like side B of My Way > EyeHateGod, Grief and Southern Sludge and crusty Doom and even some later Pantera. Or GBH > Bathory and Darkthrone and therefore basically the whole of Black Metal, despite the sort of ostensible hostility most BMers direct at punk. The development of Thrash is unimaginable without fast ass punk. Even the subject matter of lyrics became more 'real-world', less wizards and orcs, everyone starts wearing high-tops...

Fuck the lot of 'em though -- scenes are for dicks.

yeah the B-side of My War prodates the first Trouble LP, which i always thought of as a Doom metal signpost, but i admit to only having a real surface knowledge with that stuff... re: later Pantera, have you seen Phil Anselmo's scenes in the American Hardcore documentary? all smacked out and talking LOOOOOW and SLOOOW about how POWERFUL Black Flag was with Rollins... (i mean, I agree, but there is always something about Rollins worship that gets gay real quick...)

good point about Punk influence bringing in street fashion and reality lyrics into metal, but sticklers could trace the fashion back thru the Denim and Leather schoool of metal... the blue jean brigades... but there is np doubt that for all their protesting to the contrary the "street metal" vibe of bands like Iron Maiden (early) WAS punk influenced...

petergunn

plywood violin
Been trying to think of my top 20 h/c records. Not in an canonical sense, just my favourite ones from when I was younger. So far I've got,

Union of Uranus -- Double 7" (one of my favourite ever records)
Spazz side of the Spazz/Toast split 7" on HG Fact
Ice Nine 7"
His Hero Is gone -- 15 Counts of Arson
Integrity -- ...and for those who still fear tomorrow

care to up any of these? stuff i have never heard...

vimothy

yurp
yeah the B-side of My War prodates the first Trouble LP, which i always thought of as a Doom metal signpost, but i admit to only having a real surface knowledge with that stuff... re: later Pantera, have you seen Phil Anselmo's scenes in the American Hardcore documentary? all smacked out and talking LOOOOOW and SLOOOW about how POWERFUL Black Flag was with Rollins... (i mean, I agree, but there is always something about Rollins worship that gets gay real quick...)

There used to be loads of crusty H/C doom -- Toadliquor, 16, Dystopia, EyeHateGod (obv), stuff like that. Great stuff.

good point about Punk influence bringing in street fashion and reality lyrics into metal, but sticklers could trace the fashion back thru the Denim and Leather schoool of metal... the blue jean brigades... but there is np doubt that for all their protesting to the contrary the "street metal" vibe of bands like Iron Maiden (early) WAS punk influenced...

And the lyrics -- thrash moved to more Discharge-type horrors of war lyrics and away from the fantasy stuff. You're right about Maiden wearing denim and stuff, of course, but I think it took punk to move metal to not giving a shit enough to wear the Bermuda shorts and high-tops that thrash metal bands used to love...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Been trying to think of my top 20 h/c records. Not in an canonical sense, just my favourite ones from when I was younger. So far I've got,

Same label as shotmaker iirc

Have you heard the ottawa/jihad split lp? Still love that

vimothy

yurp
Great American Steak Religion

Yeah got the Ottawa/Jihad split (different label though?), Shotmaker, Uranus, One Eyed God Prophecy (fucking mint!), 400 Years... GASR: Great label.

Octopus?

Has anyone mentioned Bolt Thrower, yet? If we can include Autopsy (and let's stick in some Abscess as well) they would definitely qualify. Thinking especially from "In Battle There Is No Law" to "Realms of Chaos".

Also no mention of Rudimentary Peni yet? How about "The EP's of RP"?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Great American Steak Religion

Yeah got the Ottawa/Jihad split (different label though?), Shotmaker, Uranus, One Eyed God Prophecy (fucking mint!), 400 Years... GASR: Great label.

yeah different label, similar style

shotmaker/maximillion colby split is still good.

i was listening to mohinder again over the weekend. wow.

vimothy

yurp
Damn! That reminds me,

Ice Nine 7"

Maximillion Colby 7"

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

Ice Nine 7"

Everything by HHIG is fucking ace. IMO they're the last band to have come out of the whole punk/hardcore/milieu with any new ideas - probably the only band to do so since powerviolence, the last trend in hardcore with any shred of originality or at least innovation. They bring up odd (at least for a crust band) reference points for me too - Darkcore era Jungle, the dread bass of dub (they always had killer basslines).

Union of Uranus was pretty great too. In the same vein, if anyone's interested, check out One Eyed God Prophecy and Ire (who I think shared members w/U of U) - those bands out of Eastern Canada in the mid-late 90s had a really distinctive sound. Anyway, a few favorites off the top of my head...

Amebix - Arise ! + Monolith
His Hero Is Gone - Monuments to Thieves
Nausea - Extinction
Antischism - Still Life
Los Crudos - split LP w/Spitboy (really everything by Los Crudos)
Assück - Anticapital
Anti Cimex - Victims of a Bomb Raid 7"
Deathside - Satisfy the Instinct 7" (everything by them, a la Crudoss)
Bastard - Wind of Pain 12''
Wretched - Libero Di Vivere/Libero Di Morire
Homomilitia - Twoje Ciało - Twój Wybór
Tampere SS - Sotaa 7"

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
ah, I see Vimothy already beat me to the One Eyed God Prophecy reference. Great American Steak Religion was indeed a great label, one of the best of the late 90s/early 00s - put a bunch of stuff by HHIG too, as well as the last LP from the almighty Chokehold, IMO the greatest straighedge hc band of all time. the dude who ran GASR, Yannick, later went on to be in Tragedy with the brothers from HHIG.

Has anyone mentioned Bolt Thrower, yet? If we can include Autopsy (and let's stick in some Abscess as well) they would definitely qualify. Thinking especially from "In Battle There Is No Law" to "Realms of Chaos".

Also no mention of Rudimentary Peni yet? How about "The EP's of RP"?

early Bolt Thrower for sure - they came from that same scene as all those (great) early Peaceville crust bands; Electro Hippies, Axegrinder, Deviated Instinct (!!), Doom, etc. as well as Extreme Noise Terror (who all the old ravers might remember from their one-off w/The KLF at the BRIT Awards) and Napalm Death (who originally featured later Godflesh/Techno Animal dude Justin Broadrick). anyway, "In There Battle There Is No Law" for sure, but after that it gets a little too chunky mid-tempo death metal to be punk. still awesome, just metal.

as far as Rudi P, I dunno. again, awesome and an alltime fave, but they're much more of the Crass/Flux/Mob anarcho era which predates hardcore on both sides of the Atlantic.

actually, that reminds of the band that is the missing link between the Crass stuff and the later Discharge/Doom lineage - ANTISECT. I don't know how I forget them - "In Darkness There Is No Choice" may just be my favorite LP in any genre, ever, and the "Out from the Void" EP is even better.

vimothy

yurp
Union of Uranus was pretty great too. In the same vein, if anyone's interested, check out One Eyed God Prophecy and Ire (who I think shared members w/U of U) - those bands out of Eastern Canada in the mid-late 90s had a really distinctive sound. Anyway, a few favorites off the top of my head...

Quebec had a great scene. Germany also had some sick Rorschach worshipping chaos: Systral, Morser, Carol, Ambush, Acme, Dawnbreed...