craner

Beast of Burden
For late period Bava, by the way, this is a must buy, an incredible bargain:

BavaBox2.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
Although, I must add: The house of exorcism and kidnapped are awful recuts of lisa and the devil and rabid dogs (respectively) so it's only really 6 films by Bava, but still...an astonishing deal.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i don't know much about Bava but am looking forward to watching Danger Diabolik this weekend.

whilst i'm here does anyone know anything about Tinto Brass? his films come highly recommended. no idea where to start though -his filmography looks vast.

craner

Beast of Burden
Waste of time. Shitty erotica, apart from Salon Kitty. Bava's the way forward for you, my friend. A gift that keeps giving. The Eurocult king. It may take 3 or 4 films (depending which ones) for you to get this, but get it you will. You'll see echoes and influence and theft in Argento, Fulci, Japanese flicks, Fellini, Scorcese, Scott, Tarantino...all over the place. And he did it all with NO budget. Genius.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Waste of time. Shitty erotica, apart from Salon Kitty. Bava's the way forward for you, my friend. A gift that keeps giving. The Eurocult king. It may take 3 or 4 films (depending which ones) for you to get this, but get it you will. You'll see echoes and influence and theft in Argento, Fulci, Japanese flicks, Fellini, Scorcese, Scott, Tarantino...all over the place. And he did it all with NO budget. Genius.

ok, that's me sold on Bava. will digest nothing else for the next few months.

re-Tinto Brass: interesting to hear a conflicting opinion. i'll still dip my toes at some point.

craner

Beast of Burden
Bava buys:

617V2-ntrwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

B00000IO3X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

51JE56A0Y2L._SS500_.jpg

51NEPG16MSL.jpg

51JFF9-X0PL._SS500_.jpg

51YNW8M5PCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

BavaBox2.jpg

51uP%2BMEvq8L._SS500_.jpg

51XY-gnNMQL._SS500_.jpg
(Ths last one, an Argento, but Bava created and directed special effects for the best part of the movie, so I include it. His last job before dying, in fact.)

A pretty complete Bava shopping list, right there. Buy all those and you'll be happy for a year. You'll come back here, and Bava will be your favorite movie director. But, as I say, it will take 3 or 4 or even 5 films before you realise it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Here it is, if it can sell you, this bit of Argento genius, this whole scene, was by Bava, but he didn't even get a credit, and then he died.

craner

Beast of Burden
Watch Planet of the Vampires, then watch Alien. You wll not see Alien the same way ever again.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Here it is, if it can sell you, this bit of Argento genius, this whole scene, was by Bava, but he didn't even get a credit, and then he died.

i'm at work so i'll refrain from watching that clip, i feel it would be disrespectful, besides i'll watch the film soon enough.

craner

Beast of Burden
No, (Ridley Scott's) Alien ripped off Bava's visuals in Planet of the Vampires. Also, the idea of people in space turning on each other, all that. Malignant "horrific" forces on other planets. All this was new when Bava did it, in 1964. A cheesy flick that wasn't...actually...cheesy.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i may have to allocate this entire weekend to sitting around in my pants, drinking beer and watching Bava. :)

craner

Beast of Burden
Let me know how you get on. I'm always sad when people don't "get" Bava, but, to be honest, it doesn't often happen.

nochexxx

harco pronting
as intended, finished a weekend of Bava!

i imagine him to be a rather snappy dresser with the best couture. inevitably hooked. his 'style and essence dripping in technicolour comes correct!

Diabolik was the film i enjoyed the most -i loved the high jinx comical caper aspect; and Bava's style was again magnificent. Diabolik's outfit reminded me of this guitarist i saw perform at the Atomium. the world needs more gimpish antiheroes.

5018_95889063369_559563369_2021608_337346_n.jpg

the end of Planet of the Vampires was first class, fucking clever i thought. what a way to own the vampire subject.
i so wish i owned a pair of those racing leathers -i'm a sucker for black threads with gold and yellow trims.

i can see why critics consider Mask of Satan one of the greatest horror films, reminded me of early Coffin Joe but without the subversive undertones. a must watch, especially for horror aficionados but yeah mass props to Jose magical Marins for taking the genre much further .

i gave up asking questions during Inferno. pretty ridiculous i thought but nonetheless i enjoyed it's inexplicable labyrinth of ideas. more of that lovely garishness.

any more films like Blood and Black Lace? cool film.

i found The Whip and the Body difficulty to watch. had a bit of trouble with its slow pace. admired the soundtrack; made me think of Badalamenti.

next up Black Sabbath!