if you was designing a new drug

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I may just have screwed up body chemistry, but a little bomb of speed usually does exactly that for me. Perks me up, lowers inhibition, increases attention, focus & sociability.

How about coffee & a cigarette? :D

Chaotropic you'd totally get diagnosed with the ADD if you lived in the U.S. Then they'd give you amphetamines legally ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thing is, there are already so many millions of different drugs that do different things you'd be hard pushed to think of any affect (oh cunt, that should have been 'effect' but IR has already quoted it for posterity) that something somewhere doesn't already have to some degree. Apart from something obviously impossible like a drug that makes you invisible - although a drug that makes you think you're invisible might be pretty amusing, at least to other people.

I'd go more with certain existing drugs with their annoying side-effects or after-effects removed, eg.

* a drug identical to ecstasy in every respect, but without the inhibition of physical sexual function - I think anyone who invents this would deserve every Nobel prize for chemistry from now on, for ever and ever :D

* or, something like acid or mushrooms that doesn't give you the distinct impression that you're losing your mind - though this is of course inseparable from all their other effects

* or, an opiate you can enjoy whenever you like without building up a tolerance, getting addicted or suffering constipation from hell,

* or, how about a hangover-free version of BOOZE???

yeah it's all about perceptual changes rather than the buzz.

Something like acid that only worked in audio would be wild.

Drug nerd that I am, I've read that diisopropyltryptamine (DIPT) has very interesting audio effects - not that I've tried it, it's not really the kind of thing your friendly neighbourhood dealer usually carries. I imagine it'd be a bit like asking for clarky-cats or triple sod. :)

Edit: damn, shoulda known tryptych would get there first on this one, his name says it all really...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Thing is, there are already so many millions of different drugs that do different things you'd be hard pushed to think of any affect that something somewhere doesn't already have to some degree. Apart from something obviously impossible like a drug that makes you invisible - although a drug that makes you think you're invisible might be pretty amusing, at least to other people."
Reminds me of this story

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1036670220368B241&set_id=1

"Tehran - Iranian police are looking for a phoney sorcerer who conned a man into believing he was invisible and could rob banks, newspapers reported on Thursday.
Customers at a Tehran bank quickly overpowered the deluded robber after he started snatching banknotes from their hands.
Appearing in court, the repentant thief said he had paid five million rials (about R6 250) to a man who gave him some spells and told him to tie them to his arm to become invisible.
"I made a mistake. I understand now what a big trick was played on me," the would-be bank robber reportedly told the judge."

mms

sometimes
* or, an opiate you can enjoy whenever you like without building up a tolerance, getting addicted or suffering constipation from hell,

opium itself is pretty much like that and before heroin was synthasised and before the old opium wars was was a pretty much problem free opiate used as a painkiller widely, sounds lovely, if i was the government i'd deal cut a deal in afghanistan to grow opium legally for export, (he said woolily)

i'd like a drug that made you sleep well with absolutley fucking mental dreams but then when you wake up you feel totally brilliant.

there are a few good smokes out there nowdays that give you the feeling of stonedness without some of the feelings or nausea and paranoia.

i always want to take more and different drugs than i actually do, i just never get round to it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
opium itself is pretty much like that and before heroin was synthasised and before the old opium wars was was a pretty much problem free opiate used as a painkiller widely...

Is that strictly true, though? People still got addicted to it, didn't they? De Quincy and that lot, for one thing. It was a huge problem in China after the Opium Wars, certainly, and while this must have had a lot to do with the abundance of the stuff it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't addictive. If you're taking a concoction that has morphine as its active ingredient for any period of time you're going to end up hooked, there's no way around it.

Edit:
i'd like a drug that made you sleep well with absolutley fucking mental dreams but then when you wake up you feel totally brilliant.

Some people take a mixture of things - like valerian, St. John's Wort, 5-HTP and so on, better described as supplements than drugs, really - before going to bed, and report highly vivid, often lucid dreams.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Is that strictly true, though? People still got addicted to it, didn't they? De Quincy and that lot, for one thing. It was a huge problem in China after the Opium Wars, certainly, and while this must have had a lot to do with the abundance of the stuff it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't addictive. If you're taking a concoction that has morphine as its active ingredient for any period of time you're going to end up hooked, there's no way around it.

Edit:

Some people take a mixture of things - like valerian, St. John's Wort, 5-HTP and so on, better described as supplements than drugs, really - before going to bed, and report highly vivid, often lucid dreams.

well i read this book

a guy who's quite a respected historian of drug culture and he thinks that de quincey was rather romantic about his drug use and that like most other wars there is a massive level of misleading propoganda around the war with china.

yeah also mugwort is something that's mean't to be a sort of sleep lsd' but i tried drinking it over a period of time and all that happed was my kidneys hurt, i'm gonna try again smoking it though.

Lichen

What's wrong with cheese.

nomadthethird

Drug nerd that I am, I've read that diisopropyltryptamine (DIPT) has very interesting audio effects - not that I've tried it, it's not really the kind of thing your friendly neighbourhood dealer usually carries. I imagine it'd be a bit like asking for clarky-cats or triple sod. :)

Edit: damn, shoulda known tryptych would get there first on this one, his name says it all really...

I'm pretty sure you can order all the "5-meo-" drugs online. They're not illegal in the US yet...you can def get AMT online anyway...and I've heard 2ct7

PS There is one (synthetic) opiate that has minimal withdrawal effects compared to others, it's called suboxone and I take it legally everyday. Some people sell it on craigslist...

Last edited:

nomadthethird

different opiates are synthesized from different alkaloids derived from poppies, but there are "families" or groups for each alkaloid. back when they synthesized heroin (which is from the same alkaloid as morphine, it's actually just morphine with two more acetyls added, which helps it pass through the blood-brain-barrier much much faster than morphine or other opiates can, make it exponentially more addictive) it was perfectly legal, but soon after it became popular doctors noticed people were coming back for more at increasingly rapid rates that far exceeded their medical need for heroin as TB relief...

to make a long story short raw opium is addictive--they used it during the civil war and all kinds of soldiers got addicted

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm pretty sure you can order all the "5-meo-" drugs online. They're not illegal in the US yet...you can def get AMT online anyway...and I've heard 2ct7

PS There is one (synthetic) opiate that has minimal withdrawal effects compared to others, it's called suboxone and I take it legally everyday. Some people sell it on craigslist...

Certainly not in the UK you can't, and probably not in America either - you sure about this? At least, not from a vendor who's confident he's not going to be rudely awakened at 6am by the Feds pretty soon. AMT is an exception in British drug law at least, for some reason. As regards the 2C family, they're ALL illegal in this country, even the ones that haven't been synthesised yet - the Misuse of Drugs Act is worded in such a way as to say "Such-and-such a chemical is illegal, and any other chemical that differs by such-and-such a substitution is also illegal". So in UK law, someone creating a completely new compound that's never existed before can be committing a criminal act. Yay for us.

Edit: Bayer AG originally marketed heroin as a non-addictive alternative to morphine. 100% trufax.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Certainly not in the UK you can't, and probably not in America either - you sure about this? At least, not from a vendor who's confident he's not going to be rudely awakened at 6am by the Feds pretty soon. AMT is an exception in British drug law at least, for some reason. As regards the 2C family, they're ALL illegal in this country, even the ones that haven't been synthesised yet - the Misuse of Drugs Act is worded in such a way as to say "Such-and-such a chemical is illegal, and any other chemical that differs by such-and-such a substitution is also illegal". So in UK law, someone creating a completely new compound that's never existed before can be committing a criminal act. Yay for us.

Edit: Bayer AG originally marketed heroin as a non-addictive alternative to morphine. 100% trufax.

Hmm...well the Feds in the U.S. are busy folks, they wouldn't give a shit about someone buying any of this stuff in small quantities, but I'm not entirely sure about legality. I know for sure salvia is legal, and when I was in college AMT, DMT, and DPT, DIPT were all legal.

I am sure, regardless of legality, that as of a couple of years ago you could order 2cts online. You can also order benzos from South Africa and Mexico, too. And weak opium preps mixed with NSAIDs or APAP like vicodin.

I heard that heroin was initially marketed as non-addictive, but I never really believed it until I saw some History Channel show all about opiates and cocaine and their history in the U.S.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I heard that heroin was initially marketed as non-addictive, but I never really believed it until I saw some History Channel show all about opiates and cocaine and their history in the U.S.

See also: 'Reefer Madness' (passim), the wiley Chinaman and his devilish Opium, and cops issued with extra-large-calibre handguns because ordinary bullets weren't powerful enough to stop a COCAINIZED NEGRO is his tracks. The latter basically forming the blueprint 60-70 years later for similar myths about PCP. And to think Special Brew is still legally available...

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
I got the opposite with that one, weirdly, looking out of my eyes everything was normal, it was when I blinked or closed them that it kicked in, very Gibson that one.

And no! Not giggly at all, very frightening, very full-on. It was everything I ever wanted acid to be but wasn't.

'm not sure I'd describe my experiences as 'pleasant'. Fucking terrifying, maybe, but not pleasant. I didn't get hallucinations (at least, that's how it seemed). There was just a lot of stuff there that wouldn't be there normally. Hallucinations I can cope with, but this...

For me DMT has only ever been like a mushroom trip compressed into 10 minutes, but then I find it very hard on my lungs to smoke much - I certainly don't think I've had a "breakthrough" experience.

Bear in mind that almost all DMT is extracted from plant material, and so varies in content. For example, extracts from phalaris grass contain a not insignificant amount of 5-methoxy-dmt, which is quite a different experience. The use of phalaris as a source was popularised in the '90s by Jim DeKornes book.

More recently, mimosa hostilis has been a more common choice of source, as it contains almost entirely DMT in it's alkaloid content.

I only mention this as certainly vim's comments are more typical of 5-meo-dmt experiences than dmt ones.

nomadthethird

For me DMT has only ever been like a mushroom trip compressed into 10 minutes, but then I find it very hard on my lungs to smoke much - I certainly don't think I've had a "breakthrough" experience.

Bear in mind that almost all DMT is extracted from plant material, and so varies in content. For example, extracts from phalaris grass contain a not insignificant amount of 5-methoxy-dmt, which is quite a different experience. The use of phalaris as a source was popularised in the '90s by Jim DeKornes book.

More recently, mimosa hostilis has been a more common choice of source, as it contains almost entirely DMT in it's alkaloid content.

I only mention this as certainly vim's comments are more typical of 5-meo-dmt experiences than dmt ones.

Never knew there were so many different kinds of DMT, but the kind I tried must have been 5-MeO-DMT because I had the same kind of "not quite pleasant" experience as Vimothy...I thought maybe it just didn't work properly or I didn't do enough...

There's some big scare right now in the U.S. about "a drug as potent as LSD" that's perfectly legal--salvia--and Dr. Phil and TV show hosts are trying to scare parents about this with silly videos of kids flailing around and moaning under its influence.