Spooky Music

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Good call on Jandek & 666Mafia.

How about Nico? Some of her later live stuff with the harmonium is soul-shrivellingly creepy & desolate.

The Microphones can really make your ears wilt too.

ripley

there was a whole spooky trend in 90s hip-hop..

i'm thinking of some of the Arsonist instrumentals (one called Lt. Worf & Chewbacca IIRC), and also Vadim.. and Jedi Mind Tricks, Company Flow had a great one that sampled The Hobbit (spookily). A lot of the backpacker stuff, especially the wiggy ones that go all mystical/numerological have spooky instrumental versions.
Also Mutamassik's productions might qualify as spooky in places.

and then there's the more epic spooky era of dark cinematic d&B - all those ones with girls screaming "Johnny!" and "Ricky!" and such, and some of that era's Ed Rush.. oh and Photek could maybe be spooky as well.

Muslimgauze also could be spooky. and other more ambient stuff with aahs and coos that are trying for sexy but can also be creepy.

quite a fun theme, actually!

for 2-step, ERBs' "mysterious", which is probably too dancey to be spooky but definitely has an.. erm.. mysterious vibe.

and of course there's some great spooky dub - lots of Rhythm& Sound's production is so spaced-out and minimal it would qualify for me

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Death songs are a weird genre aren't they? What's the one where he digs up the dead woman?"
To answer my own question, apparently it's I Want My Baby Back by Jimmy Cross from 1965, here are the lyrics:

"I want my baby back
Gotta have my baby back
I miss her oh so much
Can’t live without her touch

[Spoken]

I don’t hardly know where to begin. I remember we were cruising home from the Beatles concert. I’d had such a wonderful evening, sitting there watching my baby screaming, and tearing her hair out, and carrying on. She was so full of life. Then, well, we were about three miles from home when all of a sudden it started to rain. And I do mean rain. I couldn’t hardly see nothing. Well, we kept driving for about another mile when all of a sudden I see this stalled car right smack in front of me. Well, I wasn’t about to slam on the brakes ‘cause I didn’t have none to start with. So I swerved to the left. And what do I see—some mushhead on a motorcycle headin’ right at us. And I knew at last me and my baby were about to meet the leader of the…

[Crash sounds]

…pack

Well, when I come to, I looked around
And there was the leader
And there was the pack
And over there was my baby
And over there was my baby
And way over there was my baby
I want my baby back
Gotta have my baby back
I miss her oh so much
Can’t live without her touch

[Spoken]

It’s been many months now since that fateful night. And you know something, I’ve tried. Believe me, I have tried. But I just can’t make without my baby. So I’ve decided I’m going to have her back one way or another. Oh, baby, I dig you so much. Hot dang, pay dirt.

[Digging and creaking]

I’ve got my baby back
Now, I’ve got my baby back
I love her oh so much

Benny Bunter

Johnny Remember Me always scares me a lot. It makes me afraid I'll die old and unwanted, so maybe the wrong kind of spooky.

Yep, you have to include this song, its amazing. Those Screaming Lord Sutch ones that Joe Meek produced would be great too, Jack the Ripper maybe?

If its horror-schlock you're after you can't go wrong with the cramps really. Whats that one about 'spiders in my eyelids and ghosts in the cheese', that would be perfect.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm A Mummy by Bob McFadden and Dor is appropriate but not very scary. (noteworthy for the b-side Beat Generation which was reworked by Richard Hell for Blank Generation).

Kate Mossad

Polanski's MacBeth OST - Third Ear Band
Medical Acceptance Gate - The Fall
Buchenwald album - Whitehouse
Antropophagus, The Grim Reaper OST - Marcello Giombini
Flowers of Evil - Ruth White

Shonx

Shallow House
The lyrics are pretty spooked but with the music it gives me goosebumps

Sunz of Man - The Sinz of Man (little excerpt for ya) -

My mind sometimes be haunted by my memories
Visions in my head have shown me digging up my enemies
I hate to go to sleep because of the dread that's in my head
At times I find myself running from shadows of the dead
They're trying to pull me under and bury me alive
I wake up thinking it's over and thinking I've survived
They've pulled me back to sleep and separated my soul
from my body and put my bloody flesh in a hole
Ah, shit gets worse, now the curse caves my faith in
I rose from beneath the surface of Earth as Satan
Inflicting people with war, drugs, diseases
Jumped up, fell back to sleep, ressurected, ah Jesus
Healing the same mother fuckers I've just inflicted
Spreading righteousness through word of god, my mind is twisted
A holy war in the mental, I'm sort of brain dead
Spirits have got me under pressure and they're fucking up my head

muser

Abelcain - Pantheon Of Fiends LP has some good bits to use especially the last track, depending on what your going for/where youre playing you may not want to play any of the full tracks though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"wow that is really creepy"
In fairness, although it's not clear from seeing it written down, I think that that song is kinda tongue in cheek.

"on that note (and a big influence on the Cramps) some of the Hasil Adkins stuff is creepy because he was such a freaking nutcase."
I love Hasil Adkins and, yeah, he was truly nuts. Why/how does he manage to fit lyrics about cutting people's heads off into so many of his songs?

Remember watching Polanski's Macbeth at school but nothing of the soundtrack. Probably destroyed by the horror of seeing Keith Chegwin naked.

Just to agree with everyone again but I love this song

BSquires

How about some dark ambient:

Lustmord - most/any but especially 'The Monstrous Soul' CD
Inade - 'Burning Flesh' CD
Herbst9 - 'From a Dark Chasm Below' CD

Plus an all-time favourite made from black box recordings, especially good for long flights...

Propergol - 'Ground Proximity Warning System' CD

There's loads more but I'll stop now...

Also one from my youth:

Celtic Frost - 'Tears In A Prophet's Dream' from 'To Mega Therion'.

Client Eastwood

First time I heard this drop yonks ago people where looking for somewhere to hide. The music stopped, a seconds silence, all the lights out and then this.

Bam Bam - Where's your child

BareBones

wheezy
What an excellent idea for a thread and some sweet suggestions! Personally i'd like to recommend:

anything by The Residents - that track of theirs where they do the nightmarish medley of loads of classic pop songs like Hey Jude (i think it's on the 3rd Reich & Roll album) is fucking creepy and absolutely amazing.

Deathprod - a lot of their stuff is pretty spooky but i find the track "dead people's things" from the 'morals and dogma' album really gives me the willies. Although it's like 18mins long so probably not a good compilation choice.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"anything by The Residents - that track of theirs where they do the nightmarish medley of loads of classic pop songs like Hey Jude (i think it's on the 3rd Reich & Roll album) is fucking creepy and absolutely amazing."
Residents are another band my girlfriend won't let me play - too scary apparently.

BareBones

wheezy
Residents are another band my girlfriend won't let me play - too scary apparently.

haha! that's awesome. I love the way they have all those really creepy-scary moments and then have these really cute melodic pop tunes as well, often on the same album.