Spooky Music

ether

cheers for the suggestions, found some amusing Psychobilly and then went of at a horror-core tangent after re-discovering Big L's east coast rap classic 'the devils son' and geto boys 'my mind playing tricks on me'

anymore 90's macabre rap suggestions?

ps. just found a video of bushwick bill serenading a python on youtube most strange....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
what came to mind is stuff like this:

einsturzende neubauten - halber mensch (letze biest am himmel, seele brennt, sehnsucht)

Also 'Armenia' (and many other tracks) from Drawings of Patient O.T. :)

'Hamburger Lady' by Throbbing Gristle

The last two tracks (i.e. side B) of the White Noise's An Electric Storm

A short instrumental called 'Aeon Blue Apocalypse' from Tool's Lateralus album

Also 'Die Eier Von Satan' from the album before that

'Until Death (Us Do Part)' by Front 242

'Warszawa' from Bowie's Low

Let's face it, virtually any Joy Division!

'In Every Dream Home A Heartache' by Roxy Music

....and, I'd have thought, most if not all dubstep worthy of the name? I dunno much about it, but it usually seems quite 'spooky' to me.

DannyL

Wild Horses
cheers for the suggestions, found some amusing Psychobilly and then went of at a horror-core tangent after re-discovering Big L's east coast rap classic 'the devils son' and geto boys 'my mind playing tricks on me'

Most obvious selection every but .... Tha Gravediggaz?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
More obviouser still:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
QUOTE]

folks already mentioned a lot of the obvious stuff; early 3 6 (back when they were Triple 6) plus many of their affiliates/weed carriers, "Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" (as well as "Chuckie"), Tha Gravediggaz (and kinda Wu-Tang as well, at least the beats), etc.

others off the top of my head - Brotha Lynch Hung (cannibalism!), Esham (from Detroit where, for some reason, a lot of horrorcore comes from), Ganksta N.I.P. (Houston). there's also a ton of more obscure horrorcore stuff which I'm not familiar with b/c I was never very into it, though it at one point in the mid-90s it was pretty big as a like weird subgenre of gangsta rap. also, I've always thought the classic G-Funk sound a la Dr Dre. was hella spooky sounding - listen to all those eerie synth lines. like George Clinton & Roger Troutman on a bad acid trip.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also - all the darkside jungle classics, yeah? "Terminator", "Darkage", "Pennywise", Intense - "Journey to the Unknown", a bunch of early Remarc tunes, pretty much anything by Skanna, and so on.

Kode9 puts out some right eerie shit - try listening to "Sine" on headphones late at night. Spaceape's voice is nuts as well.

Villalobos - I dunno, just in how disembodied everything gets.

Killing Joke, This Heat, early Pere Ubu ("30 Seconds Over Tokyo'), Cabaret Voltaire

Implog - "Holland Tunnel Dive" - I've been listening to this track a lot lately. 2 dudes from the downtown NYC scene (both of them played in The Contortions/James White & The Blacks) doing one of those death/sex car crash deals a la Warm Leatherette but way, IMO, better. plus there's a section in the middle where it sounds they just turned on a blender and shove it up next to the mic.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The most frightening records for me are the Fats Waller London Suite, Fats Waller 'Smoke Dreams of You', 'I cant give you anything but love' and especially 'You Cant Have Your Cake and Eat It'. They're super super spooky.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/fats.html

Super creepy also is that 'I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper' song from the Clockwork Orange soundtrack.

Benny Bunter

A super spooky Blues trilogy...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blind Willie Johnson - "Dark was the night, cold was the ground"

Robert Johnson - "Me and the devil blues"

Skip James "Devil Got My Woman"

This is really hair-raising stuff.