routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
never heard of them before but that salem interview is very funny but it goes onnn and ooonnnn.....
sample quote "...like.. i mean.... everything is like totally like.... yeah... and stuff"

Last edited:

nnazem

A few things

Sorry for never getting back to any of this earlier, I've been soooooo busy lately with stuff out of my control, and with some previous comments by other individuals, you all can see why.

But basically, here's a few things I wanted to clarify while I have this short time:

When I mention Lo-Fi, I never meant Fruity Loops. I know plenty of amazing producers that use Fruity Loops, and make some of the best tracks! Fuckin the 2 best producers of Philly Club is fruity loops, danger mouse still uses fruity loops, and I got a lot of producer friends who use Fruity Loops. On the other hand, I odn't think there's anything as powerful as an old fashioned MPC-2000xl, but thats just me.

but thats beyond the point, what i meant by lo-fi was that it was low bitrate quality because it sounds like it was ripped off imeem or youtube. No, our tracks do not sound like they're super low quality imeem rips simply because we actually produce them, and save them on MP3 to give the world, haha.

Second issue, fuck salem. That's hilarious beyond belief. I'm sure they went to a few footwork parties where they were blasting Nate, but it never had a black kid, or a poor person there.

Third, if you listen to that RP Boo mix, you'll see that Nate is not creating his own kid style of people who don't fully understand what they're doing. When I said that RP Boo created the footwork sound, I really meant that he created a style sooooo many individuals try to mimic. I've been tryin so hard to get you guys footwork tracks from Spinn, Rashad, and Clent from 3-6 years ago because you'll see the sound Nate brings really isn't anything, but they have my computer out there with em in Europe!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!11 haha

And like I mention, use Nate as a diving board, not as the messiah, because he really sucks ass, hahaha.

nnazem

In other news

Oh yeah, all this talk about juke reminded me about something.....

THERE'S A FUCKING OIL SPILL THAT IS DESTROYING 4 SOUTHERN U.S. STATES! THE SOUTH WILL NEVER RISE AGAIN.

haha

Benny Bunter

nnzem my rant about fruity loops wasn't directed at you, just a bugbear of mine that people still seem to automatically equate grimey, lo-fi sounding stuff with Fruity Loops when it ain't necessarily so. I suppose the one thing that makes me think of Fruity loops is the 'granuliser' sampler which I would imagine would be ideal for the sort of pitch shifting vocals etc... but I'll shut up about it now lol

I find the divisions being drawn between 'well produced' tracks vs Lo fi tracks quite confusing cos we're listening to it all at different bitrate qualities, there's not a level-playing field with which to make a fair comparison. Pretty much everything is gonna sound lo-fi on youtube or low bitrate mp3s. I don't listen to them and think that they must be badly produced. And I've heard stuff on people's mixes (that new Mike Paradinas one for example) featuring producers from right across the board that all sound very finely produced.

So yeah anyway, its a bit confusing! S'all good though...

dave quam

sds

"Second issue, fuck salem. That's hilarious beyond belief. I'm sure they went to a few footwork parties where they were blasting Nate, but it never had a black kid, or a poor person there."

DUDE I'VE BEEN TO ONE OF THESE...rather one of the kids from the band was "DJing". Everybody at the party looked like they were in the band, gothtards. I tried to talk to the dude after wards about footwork and he just kind of ignored me with a "do I look like a person who gives a fuck? there are holes in my jeans!" look.

BTW my Rusko to Britney Spears compairison was towards the "if your a manager of DJ ( ) why don't you work harder so he gets the right exposure if you think Nate (or other Youtube mystics) shouldn't have any hype" comment. Meaning I dunno why that should matter, a lot of well exposed people, especially due to the internet, are the worst. And wait a minute, Rashad and Spinn are you in YERP...when Nate and some of these kids make it to Europe (and I am willing to bet you most of them cannot actually DJ) and play at your art gallery I might stop talking.

Also I'm not an ageist! DJ Earl is 19 and slays every one of those kids, as well as DJs a lot of events.

The reason why there aren't a lot of RP Boo tracks on Youtube is because dude is twice the age of most of those kids on there, and I doubt feels the need to put stuff up there for exposure, especially on your blog. However tons of tracks of his are on battle videos.

dave quam

"Dave Quam I think most people that are into DJ Nate etc are aware that it isn't relevant in the Chicago scene, or that they are not producing anymore because they are producing RnB for cash, or that they aren't as skilled as Rashad etc that's not the point though.

Just because a lot of Grime artists are chasing paper now making shite RnB doesn't mean I am about to throw away all my old Grime records and just because Dubstep is produced a lot better doesn't mean I should have to prefer that to the stuff that kids were making on playstation back in the day"

I understand what your trying to say, and of course I agree and don't think just because it's better audio quality it should be considered better. But Rashad/Spinn/Clent/RP Boo are just straight up a lot better at making music in the same genre of music. I'm not sure why this is so hard to get across. Obviously there are things called opinions and what I just said will probably come off as arrogant, but if you like the sample techniques, if you like the bentness of the drums and the syncopation, and you think footworking is swell, then I don't see how you could say someone like DJ Nate is more interesting. All those elements are there with the above four producers. Are you huge Jandek fans too? We aren't comparing apples to oranges here, just two pineapples. Is it mostly the mystique that you guys are into? You guys big Jandek fans too? I mean I'm fucking with you guys a bit and I think I've mentioned I do like DJ Nate and DJ Elmoe ect, it's just no contest to me. But out of the guys that don't really make footwork anymore, that have Youtube mystique and a rap video, DJ Solo is WAY better.

Seriously listen to that RP Boo mixtape more. I gotta scan the cover. I interviewed him, it will be up soon. Me and Neema need to share more music I think.

wise

bare BARE BONES
@ Dave Quam where is this RP Boo mixtape you keep refering to. Did I miss something?

Gutted about Rashad but the rest of the line-up tonight are still gonna blow up!

Benny Bunter

woah there's a tune on that RP Boo mixtape that uses the same sample as Wonder's 'What have you done'. I suppose they could have been made round around the same time too.

Damien

I really like the Jandek albums I have, he was pretty good when I seen him live. I love his piano playing. I don't know if that proves your point! :D

I'm not really about the mystique man, don't get me wrong too I love all the Juke Trax, like a lot. I paid good money to travel halfway across the country to catch DJ Rashad tonight. I've made a mix with predominantly DJ Rashad tunes and I'm desperately trying to spread the message. I'm just an obtuse fucker who likes broken music as well.

I think you guys sharing more music would be great, my ears are open to everything and I really think that the music that is coming out from everyone in the scene is AMAZING

Last edited:

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
RP Boo's "Eraser" is one of the most fucked up lofi (and amazing) things ive ever heard, but Nates "Break Buddy Ankles" is also an amazing track, and to be honest i cant see how you can say that its less well produced then rp boos stuff, i mean they both are weird clippy sampled minmal tracks, i agree that the kids stuff (elmoe and nate etc) is more bombastic, using bigger cheesier samples, but thats what a lot of people like about it, its the way that it can use things from this source material to make tracks with a completly different feel to them. and somthing being lofi is what a lot of people like, especially "white" people like myself, i mean its a bit of a phallacy that when things are made with more balance, training and expensive equipment that theyre just better.

i appreciate you guys (dave and nnazem) come from a completly different place to most of the rest of us in terms of having seen the scene evolve and being involved in it, but no matter what you say its not gonna changes peoples gut reaction to the music. it just sounds like a personal thing of being angry that the people that did it before arnt getting their dues, which is unfair i agree, but again dosent have anything to do with the music itself.

and lay off the goths :)

nnazem, hope you get your online store set up soon and get some of this stuff out there, cos at this stage itd change a lot about how this music is percieved and spreads.

hopefully see some of yall at Rashad tonight

Hi i'm a skinny white irish boy who likes AFX and Burial and i reckon i could wipe the floor with most of these footworkers with some on the fly variations on my irish dancing 7s at hyper-speed, tellin ye!