nnazem

To be pedantic - He's from Detroit though and thats a ghettotech record from 10 years ago - -
Chicago ppl would probably say it's not juke or footwork - even though of course they sound similar etc and i'm sure those guys play together etc, the chicago lot probaby influenced ghettotech too.
http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/ghettotech-the-bluffers-guide.htm

The other track is a baltimore house record...

yeah, thats not really something people would juke or footwork too, though thats an amazing assault track.

and the reason ghetto tech and ghetto house are so similar is because there used to be a reallllll good communication between the 2 cities. while most chicago mixtapes won't really have any detroit stuff on it, detroit ghetto tech mixtapes usually have a 1/3 of their tracks from dancemania, or other ghetto house records....at least thats the case with assault & godfather mixtapes.

drilla

excellent. i wonder how the tracks where delivered.. if nate had to be instructed by phone not to let the tracks clip.. all the little details

mms

sometimes
yeah, thats not really something people would juke or footwork too, though thats an amazing assault track.

and the reason ghetto tech and ghetto house are so similar is because there used to be a reallllll good communication between the 2 cities. while most chicago mixtapes won't really have any detroit stuff on it, detroit ghetto tech mixtapes usually have a 1/3 of their tracks from dancemania, or other ghetto house records....at least thats the case with assault & godfather mixtapes.

also you'd hear them record for the same labels - databass for instance could have godfather and deeon releases
has there been any crossover to Detroit with the more recent stuff?

gumdrops

not so keen on the nate tracks where he samples R&B/pop vocals. prefer the ones like u aint working with nothing or footwork homicide. but really excited about these releases. good to see something fresh coming out the states again. surprised mu arent doing a juke various artists comp though.

nnazem

also you'd hear them record for the same labels - databass for instance could have godfather and deeon releases
has there been any crossover to Detroit with the more recent stuff?

you'd really only hear the crossover from the chicago to detroit side because databass was willing to pay advances, and put out people's back catalogue. To this day, Godfather has licensing rights to Deeon's Freak Mode, and Slugo's Subterranean Playhouse.

And yeah, a lot of the Chicago cats would just jump to Databass simply because they wanted to put out the music. It really didn't matter where the stuff was getting put out, as long as it was out there, people were happy.

And it's hard trying to get in contact with people from Detroit. You think Chicago is underground, you can barely find anything jit related online thats recent. Think about it, Assault, Godfather, Mr. De, and DJ Nasty are all in their mid to late 30's. Where are the new kids with the new sound in Detroit?

alex

Do not read this.
Yea I saw what the next promo from Mu is gonna be, so stoked. Agree with the poster above about the R&B things, there are like 2 maybe that are appealing. My favourite tracks by him are ‘Bang Bang’, ‘Haterz are Motivation’ and the first one off of the Nate Traxx ‘I can burn that I can burn that’? (sorry unsure of the sample) although a lot of the ones mentioned previously I have not heard, so I still await the album with full anticipation! @ Ory is that official then about the various artist’s comp? That would be really exciting.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on some more DJ Diamond / L’ambre Tracks?

Last edited:

Amicose

We are already in the planning stages of a footwurk compilation. But it takes a lot more time and effort convincing lots of artists who've never even heard of releasing vinyl.. and more money to do, than a single artist album, which is why... i mean, it took over a year to get hold of nate... (to get an answer from him - via a teacher at his school in the end) so first thing i asked was to do an album with him, but now we have ways in to dj tha pope, yung tellem and loads more. i just wanna get this nate thing wrapped up 1st.

From the horse's mouth.

benw

aye big ups to paradinas for this one, and must be reassuring to dave quam and nnazem to see this aint just about nate as far as planet mu are concerned.

dave quam

Jit

Yeah I haven't been able to find much Detroit stuff especially from the younger crowd I wish I had some...never been there. This is a decent article about the history of jittin http://hardcoredetroit.biz/jit/jit.html

Oh yeah and btw I love tons of UK music, my comment wasn't to say I don't dig jungle and such, I don't hear that much at all in common with juke/footwork at jungle aside from maybe the BPM. Not that is has nothing in common but I really wouldn't compare em like that.

benw

as far as that spinn and rashad comp goes... release date was 8th june, but amazon is sayingg:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

soul_pill

I was contacted by this guy from Detroit making what he describes as Footwork

http://soundcloud.com/dj-three-dog

After he found a remix I had done of Nate's track here:

http://soundcloud.com/mikep

And "Break Buddy Ankles" was intended for the forthcoming Various Artists Footwork compilation... due next year... which is taking a lot longer than expected, but I am still hopeful to actually get it done. Probably will not have a few of the artists I really wanted on it though. Pity.

dave quam

jitjitjitjit

Yeah that's jit alright.

The D.E.T.-Only 12"s godfather put out are classic jit records. They were white labels maybe only 300 made, a tiny sublabel of Twighlight 76 (Databass, Juke Trax, ect). Hard to find the originals but you can download em on the interwebs.