Richard Carnage

not so keen on the nate tracks where he samples R&B/pop vocals. prefer the ones like u aint working with nothing or footwork homicide. but really excited about these releases. good to see something fresh coming out the states again. surprised mu arent doing a juke various artists comp though.

Not really feeling the ultra chipmunk vocals either! "Back Down" and the two you mentioned are most probably my faves, but there isn't really enough on there for me to justify a purchase, unfortunately. My personal tastes tend towards the old DM releases anyway, but I'm very much looking forward to see what Mr P has up his sleeve for the various artists compilation.

dave quam

Good lookin out!

I guess I was leaning more towards the fact that ghetto houe/juke/footwork had nothing to do with the UK in their births, but with Mike's Nate release, guys like Rashad and Spinn goin out to Europe and working with the Nightmare and Night Slugs crew (plus the internet existing), its all possible now, and something I'm definitely psyched on. Definitely jumped the gun there!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Hope you'll excuse the self-promotion, but this thread feels the right context to mention this – Dave Quam is on The Wire's Adventures In Modern Music show on Resonance FM tonight, talking on the phone and playing a mix taking in proto ghetto house through to footwork. Here's the blurb:

Adventures In Modern Music on Thursday 15 July presents a breakdown of Chicago beats, with Derek Walmsley joined on the line by writer, blogger, photographer and Chi-town resident Dave Quam. His mix will present a history of Chicago styles from old school to new, taking in House, proto-Ghetto House, Juke, Footwork, from the Muzic Box to DJs Nate and Rashad and beyond, and he'll be talking about Chicago's love affair with the beat. Resonance 104.4fm and resonancefm.com, 21:00-22:30.

mms

sometimes
Hope you'll excuse the self-promotion, but this thread feels the right context to mention this – Dave Quam is on The Wire's Adventures In Modern Music show on Resonance FM tonight, talking on the phone and playing a mix taking in proto ghetto house through to footwork. Here's the blurb:

sweet!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
If Dave's happy with it, I'm happy to send out CDs of the mix itself burned from fat ass aif format to peeps in London. They were sounding awesome in the office the other night. So if you want better fidelity for the music at least...