routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
er well i dunno who you've been talking to ^ but my mate is a coder for Fact and he said this dj Nate guy pretty much invented computers and wrote this program called Shifty Loops that everyone uses to copy the whole samplepack electronic music thing, which he also originated... yknow, with 808 claves n shit. and bwoy does he sell juke mix cds. he literally sells the shit out of those things.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I heard he sold so many that Chicago actually ran out of CDs and now he has to press his tracks directly on to the substantially less popular medium of hot cakes.

mms

sometimes
as well as a footwork dvd, what id like to buy is juke mix cds like i hear dj nate sells in chicago.

he does r and b now which is popular locally i think

he hasn't made juke for several years and as everyone's made really clear here who's from chicago - he was more of a internet phenomenon than an on the ground in Chicago guy, even though regardless of that personally his music is great i think.
there is a mixtape on his site here though of the r and b stuff, there are def good elements to it....

http://bakasworld.com/
interestingly
second layer has some dj roc mix cds
http://www.secondlayer.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=20
interesting cos thats a noisy avant kinda shop.

Last edited:

nnazem

according to zero-inch, dj nate, as well as dj pierre evolved juke into footwork. also unknown to me, chrissy murderbot co-runs ghettophiles with me. The more i learn everyday.

But they did get something right, the god diggity dang overkill release!!!!!!

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7063851&secret_url=false"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7063851&secret_url=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">Arpebu - Munsta From Kavain Space</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/ghettophiles">Ghettophiles</a></span>

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7063454&secret_url=false"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7063454&secret_url=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">DJ Rashad - Ghost</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/ghettophiles">Ghettophiles</a></span>

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7062868&secret_url=false"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7062868&secret_url=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">Traxman - WTF?!</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/ghettophiles">Ghettophiles</a></span>

I think I'm gonna give out a few free tracks on Fact just because I love you guys so much, haha.

BTW, is it just me, or has this forum turned from an extremely participatory space to a events/album promo page? Juke must be dying.

:(

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
its a bit of a shame, but a lot of the participation has turned into "real" releases and events, which is a good thing. but yeah, i guess once things solidify they seem less open as ideas and maybe there's less space for an outsider to interpret things.

those tracks sound nice, pretty diverse, good one.

mms

sometimes
juke started dying when dj nate stopped making it everyone knows that.
oh and also his dad was lil louis who founded dance mania and was also the lead singer of the band lil louis and the news

gumdrops

ok clearly i was sort of wrong, but im sure i read that nate used to give out his cds in high school or something (though maybe this was made up to make him seem a bit like the dizzee of juke). didnt know he doesnt make juke anymore though. hmmm. wonder if the interest in his album will change that. esp as juke is dying. and also as i hear from a good source that his grandad was little walter.

3504204624_470854b225_o.jpg

Last edited:

AZIZA

Juke must be dying.

:(

Sarco alert.

esp as juke is dying.

Uhm, missed that memo gumdrops.

Nate and Pierre are going to be given credit on bogus websites as inventing something that already was mutating from Juke before they came along. Though great producers, we all know this is far from the truth. As they have a strong presence on the internet, even if it's just between Mu, youtube, iJukeuBounce and the hipster-nerd media contingent, can you be that surprised that the sound is attributed to two of it's most public figures. Apart from Dave's piece for XLR8R, there isn't too much discussion of how the sound had come to fruition. This time next year Arpebu and Ghetto Tekz is a household name...

DJ MANNY AND DJ SPINN (GHETTOTEKNITIANZ) ARE IN NYC DEC 17TH FOR THE GHE20 GOTH1K RAVE. LOCATION TBA.

Nate doin the R'n'B thing :)

mms

sometimes
Sarco alert.

Uhm, missed that memo gumdrops.

Nate and Pierre are going to be given credit on bogus websites as inventing something that already was mutating from Juke before they came along. Though great producers, we all know this is far from the truth. As they have a strong presence on the internet, even if it's just between Mu, youtube, iJukeuBounce and the hipster-nerd media contingent, can you be that surprised that the sound is attributed to two of it's most public figures.

do you really mean dj pierre, that's kinda prescient

this is getting twisted out somewhat lol...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

everyone knows Glenn Frey invented house music anyway

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

AZIZA

I'm not one to attribute development of footwork to Nate or Pierre. No, no, no.

Apart from Dave's piece for XLR8R, there isn't too much discussion of how the sound had come to fruition.

e.g. the particular producers who stepped away from the straight up Juke sound and crafted the Footwork tunes. Sorry to be unclear, was referring to Neema's prior comment..

according to zero-inch, dj nate, as well as dj pierre evolved juke into footwork. also unknown to me, chrissy murderbot co-runs ghettophiles with me. The more i learn everyday.

zero-inch blog said:
Meanwhile things were cooking home in Chicago as yet another generation of artists introduced the perhaps most radical change to the sound: abandoning the 4-to-the-floor house music kick drum altogether. Young bedroom producers like DJ Nate and DJ Pierre (not to be confused with the acid house pioneer) started recording tracks that seemed to float on a wave of staccato bass stabs, fluently switching between breakneck speeds and half-tempo intermissions. The new style became known as Footworking, after the hyperactive break dance variant it accompanied, and suddenly well-known UK DJs began to drop footwork tracks in their dubstep sets.

Amazing to think there is already misinformation floating around.

has the new Mark Pritchard track Paolo mentioned, "Out in the Street" at 1:12 and it's fire. Another new Pritchard dub and Harmonic 313 follow..plus trax vocalled by Trim and Wiley

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I'm not one to attribute development of footwork to Nate or Pierre. No, no, no.

Sorry to be unclear, was referring to Neema's prior comment..

yes i know that
but dj pierre was the guy who did the first 'acid track' song with phuture on trax in 1987 - and then went on to work with strictly rhythm - he's not got anything directly to do with footwork and was around in the mid 80's in chicago as a dance producer and didn't do juke or footwork tracks,
he is in the thread from disco to house to ghetto house to footwork i guess
so this
" Nate and Pierre are going to be given credit on bogus websites as inventing something that already was mutating from Juke before they came along" what you said is a bit off :)
Pierre's probably old enough to be Nate's grandfather too.

#edit# yes i'm getting confused too now, as i thought it was referring to the old guy.

Yes i wonder why - if they're profiling the ghettoteknitians they didn't ask for some background and history etc...../

Last edited:

dave quam

the DJ Pierre they are talking about is the same guy as Jukestrafe, btw. Why they picked him I have no idea.

Check Resident Advisor this Friday for more on the roots of the sound, btw.

RE DJ Nate: from what I gather from some of my friends who grew up or went to high school around the area that Nate lived when he made those tracks (far West Side almost by Oak Park, the burbs) is that plenty of kids his age know him/his music, but they found out about him by his track Lil Mama Bad as Hell, the R&B track, and that was already like 3 years ago. I'm sure he did give some friends cdrs a long time ago, which is what all the tracks from the internet came from. If you listen to a lot of the straight footwork tracks from around 2000-2005, they don't sound too far off from Nate's stuff really, though they are pretty tough to find, or lost. The misinformation is due to the only internet presence up until not long ago consisting of whatever was on iMeem, Youtube, ect, and I think a lot of people ignored the iTunes tracks from guys like DJ Spinn, Rashad, ect because a lot of their Juketrax releases were definitely more juke heavy, and people were looking for more of this footwork stuff, not realizing that Spinn and Rashad are the main forces behind it, and have been since the late 90s along with RP and Traxman, Clent, PJ, ect. And I mean is there anything you can even buy from RP? There is still only one track that you can buy from RP (aside from DJ Slugo Godzilla, which RP actually did), along with the mixtape me and Neema put up. It's pretty understandable, I mean hell my impressions of grime were a lot different after someone from the UK was kind enough to rip a shitload of white labels for me. The fact that people are still writing stuff with incorrect facts STILL is just because they are too lazy to reach out to anyone, but the internet can do that to journalists. It happens.

nnazem

Damn Dave! You basically summed up your and my thoughts what we've tried to explain in damn near 500 posts in 1 paragraph.

But yeah, the DJ Pierre they were talking about was definitely not the old school dj, they were talking about subterranean playhouse's dj pierre. i'm not gonna sit here and say i don't like some of his tracks, because some are pretty damn decent! however, he's definitely not the person to look at in terms of changing the footworking world.

I still just don't understand why in the hell Arpebu/RP Boo hasn't just taken over the world yet?! This man was the rawest act, and continues to be the guy who footworks across the street with a smile on his face.

In other news, Lil B has stunned me by his lack of rapping skills:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

both i believe are pretty hilarious rip-offs of rashad tracks.