gumdrops

yes i know juke is far from dead. (and thank god cos i think this is is my favourite music right now)

i did find some nate mix cds on datpiff but they all seemed to be not so great hip hop.

nnazem

while it's only 13 days away before you can buy 2 more, dave was referring to my album, overkill, or i think.

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7063851&secret_url=false"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...oundcloud.com/tracks/7063851&secret_url=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">Arpebu - Munsta From Kavain Space</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/ghettophiles">Ghettophiles</a></span>

mms

sometimes
Damn Dave! You basically summed up your and my thoughts what we've tried to explain in damn near 500 posts in 1 paragraph.

But yeah, the DJ Pierre they were talking about was definitely not the old school dj, they were talking about subterranean playhouse's dj pierre. i'm not gonna sit here and say i don't like some of his tracks, because some are pretty damn decent! however, he's definitely not the person to look at in terms of changing the footworking world.

I still just don't understand why in the hell Arpebu/RP Boo hasn't just taken over the world yet?! This man was the rawest act, and continues to be the guy who footworks across the street with a smile on his face.

In other news, Lil B has stunned me by his lack of rapping skills:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

both i believe are pretty hilarious rip-offs of rashad tracks.

he mc'ed over some older ghetto house tracks lately too
you'll enjoy this
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You're of course right about rp boo - is that album of his stuff still due for release?

nnazem

Club Bangerz

Yo man, I think by now people know I'm a Rashad addict. And I know you guys love this forum for more footworky stuff, but this is so damn catchy, and it's an old Rashad track that I don't think many people ever really paid attention to.

So damn gooooooooddddd

skweeelicious!

bass downstairs
i think dj nate is kind of the ornette colman of footwork. he was not one of the forbearers of the style but he was an important innovator with a unique voice. his music generates a lot of animosity and confusion. whether some blogger knows about nate and doesn't know about rp and rashad is not a reflection on nate or his music. more importantly -- history is bunk. nate was certainly an internet phenomenon, but who was running up those imeem and youtube views into the hundreds of thousands? it was all uk hipsters and music bloggers? i thought it was a fuckload of high school kids in chicago. not that anyone should give a lukewarm turd about that either.

AZIZA

MMS beat me to that clip of Lil B getting boiiiied off! His flow is horrendous in general and I don't think he's much for content...those two are HAINOUS lifts of Rashad..

Foolish. :mad:

The Zero-Incher was obviously referencing Jukestrafe DJ Pierre - why would they bring the other Pierre into the foundations of Footwork ?? Simple misunderstanding...plus, they linked a Pierre EP alongside Clent, Nate, Rashad, New Ghettophiles Compilation etc. for purchase.

Nate has a very unique sound, an innovator for sure! He takes his music to some real extremes and it works! I don't know how much of an effect he had on forming other producers sound though. I'm curious to think of what other producers in Chi think of him. Maybe other young, newer producers took to his extremes and applied that approach to their music? Yung Tell'Em maybe? I know he's appropriated some Nate stuff - resampling the same track (i.e. "We Can Work This Out").

Dave's so on point once again..the fact that RP (especially), Rashad and Spinn are by in large behind the curtain seems not only unfair to them but also the listeners. Sure Spinn and Rashad get there bookings outside of Chi (not nearly enough). Why Arpe hasn't been given at least this attention..attention he quite frankly is due is bull shit. There needs to be a lot more consistent, jam packed releases. If so, maybe there would be attention on them more than Nate, at least within the whole Pitchfork/YouTube vortex. BOO's still grinding, working on trax, seems interested in compiling a record of footwork madness to set the record straight. We'll see if that can come together but the works going in to turn it out! Looking forward to the RA article blud! You badman.

This time next year BOO and the Tekz are going to be goin' in worldwide. Watch them takeover.

PS. FUCK LIL B

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Yo man, I think by now people know I'm a Rashad addict. And I know you guys love this forum for more footworky stuff, but this is so damn catchy, and it's an old Rashad track that I don't think many people ever really paid attention to.

So damn gooooooooddddd

yes definitely, this, better yourself and in your face are my favourite tracks by him. Better yourself for its pure trippyness and on your face for the bassline and vocal hook, such a good producer

wise

bare BARE BONES

So damn gooooooooddddd

First track in my Big Juke Mix 9 months ago, it's a banger!

dave quam

"I don't know how much of an effect he had on forming other producers sound though."

Pretty much nothing...MAYBE some of the really young guys.

"I'm curious to think of what other producers in Chi think of him."

Lot of guys hate his shit. I won't say the name but here is a quote from a young, important DJ of today:

"I can't believe the assest of the ass gets so much recognition for this shit"

Others have just replied: "he's ass"

Nate definitely has a lot more influence, and serves as much more of an innovator to people outside of footwork culture than within. That's OK though, and he's obviously a big part in people getting into this stuff. He also has some dope tracks, though most of his shit is well, ASS if you ask me. Still peaked my interested when I first heard him on Myspace. There has defintely been too much back and forth with Nate on this thread that probably should just stop. You can like him or hate him, but in regards to the history of footwork culture, he really didn't have much influence. Lots of 18 year old girls had Lil Mama Bad as Hell as their ringtones when it came out though for sure.

Oh, and he is not Ornette Coleman, not buying that one. The jazz comparisons on this thread have really been terrible.

mms

sometimes
"I don't know how much of an effect he had on forming other producers sound though."

Pretty much nothing...MAYBE some of the really young guys.

"I'm curious to think of what other producers in Chi think of him."

Lot of guys hate his shit. I won't say the name but here is a quote from a young, important DJ of today:

"I can't believe the assest of the ass gets so much recognition for this shit"

Others have just replied: "he's ass"

Nate definitely has a lot more influence, and serves as much more of an innovator to people outside of footwork culture than within. That's OK though, and he's obviously a big part in people getting into this stuff. He also has some dope tracks, though most of his shit is well, ASS if you ask me. Still peaked my interested when I first heard him on Myspace. There has defintely been too much back and forth with Nate on this thread that probably should just stop. You can like him or hate him, but in regards to the history of footwork culture, he really didn't have much influence. Lots of 18 year old girls had Lil Mama Bad as Hell as their ringtones when it came out though for sure.

Oh, and he is not Ornette Coleman, not buying that one. The jazz comparisons on this thread have really been terrible.

in a wider sense though - he's brought people to the music which is a good thing.
and anyway everyone knows that laidback luke and diplo really invented dance music.:slanted:

skweeelicious!

bass downstairs
most of his shit is well, ASS if you ask me.
that's the salient point here and you have said it again and again. OTOH i find a level of consistent quality in nate's music while with many others in juke i have to sift through mountains of garbage to find one gem. the ornette comparison was not arbitrary, both men received a lot of harsh words and caused a lot of confusion within their respective communities while carving a singular path and not giving a damn what others thought -- while all the while getting their records released and recognition from critics. both also radically switched directions.

pinpointing influence -- particularly on whom is a subjective and nearly impossible exercise. certainly a couple of anonymous quotes mean nothing. it's also a highly overrated measure of worth. jimi hendrix influenced some of the worst music ever created.

dave quam

Well I really don't see people throwing rocks at DJ Nate...he's the goddamn martyr for those outside of the footwork community for christsake. His Planet Mu release was the first of it's kind. Does anybody else have a retrospective like that yet? No. The little quotes above were just to explain what a lot of the DJs around here actually involved in the culture think about him, and they weren't to be taken too seriously. Nobody is actively going around talking shit about the dude, or starting beef, or anything. This is because he doesn't really mean anything to them, or the culture, other than he is someone who got a bunch of recognition on the interwebs. I've asked kids and this is what they say about him, it wasn't like I walked in a room and a bunch of DJs had a DJ Nate dart board, were claiming that his music was the ANTI-MUSIC or something. I know a kid (DJ Tmo) who started making footwork tracks with Nate, and I highly doubt he would reminisce about Nate's innovations, but probably would about early Gant Man, Rashad, and Clent mixtapes, which I'm sure Nate would too.

As far as Nate 'not giving a damn"...well nobody really paid attention to him while he was actually making footwork tracks 3+ years ago...so he started making hip hop and R&B (not a very radical change in direction)...so I'd like you to back up that claim a bit more. I'd definitely claim such about someone like Rashad, and goddamn, RP Boo, those dudes never gave a damn and have prided themselves on making different music for years. He didn't carve a singular path by any means, he made a bunch of footwork tracks, most likely because kids around him were and he thought it would be fun. There is literally nothing about his tracks that I can think of as being innovative to how footwork tracks are made. That is OK though, which is something I've explained over and over again...I do like a handful of his tracks for sure. "Give That Man Room" definitely made a huge impression on me a few years ago. But then I found more and more tracks, and was introduced to more DJs who I find make way better music. And as for the stare-at-the-wall listeners, DJs that make way weirder, bent, darker music too. Most Nate tracks just don't really age well for me, where as stuff RP made in fucking 1997 still sound 20 years into the future.

I absolutely see nothing to compare Nate and Ornette Coleman, sorry homie, but whatever. All this Nate back and forth is just really annoying and repetitive so I'm just going to keep my mouth (or I mean fingers) shut about it for now on. As someone who is kind of documenting this stuff, I find it important to get the facts straight.

Last edited:

nnazem

i dont give a crap about all this nate stuff.

what i wanna know is who the hell started sayin DJ Roc made the first juke mixtape? Anyone who does the math can tell he started making music long after juke was created.

mms

sometimes
i dont give a crap about all this nate stuff.

what i wanna know is who the hell started sayin DJ Roc made the first juke mixtape? Anyone who does the math can tell he started making music long after juke was created.

LOL you've changed your tune !
Maybe cos it doesn't really matter anymore as like i predicted when everyone was getting pissy about dj Nate that it wouldn't matter when people had heard more of the music and more of the history and storys.

also no - ones said that about dj roc unless they got it down wrong in interviews or reviews or whatever i reckon

what it says in his bio on the planet mu site is that the bosses of the circle were the first juke squad to make their own mix tapes with the help of dj slugo, subtle difference, that doesn't say what your're saying - i feel you're just looking for trouble here really.
Also in the real world - journalists will misread subtletees etc - it's quite boring to get arsey about these things allow them

anyway didn't moby invent juke

Last edited:

Damien

So damn gooooooooddddd

when I play Juke out this is one of the tracks people go nuts to, me included