Apparently Barack "isn't black"

john eden

male pale and stale
There is a sense here from more than a few of what is acceptable opinion or language and what isn't. Unspoken boundaries being set and ooh ooh ooh's of excitement and outrage when it seems that someone has said the wrong thing. I'm not really interested in PC or non-PC debates but the atmosphere of caution is palpable.

Bollocks.

:)

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
and how, when most of your posts mention the PC mafia (i paraphrase) can you claim to not be interested in it?
I used 'PC' once, in this context:
jambo said:
Is it more 'racist' than calling for a whole nation to be sacked because of one monster? Less PC than using the word 'cunt'?
Which was followed by questions from yourself, to which I have replied.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
sure but we're also taking about connatations of skin colour as a global phenomenon, so this runs with the idea in india that darkness of skin also denotes class, and the idea that lighter skin is more refined in other parts of the world. Maybe the ideas that came from british fashions 200 years ago influenced this idea too, but not essentially.

Well yeah, as I said on the last page this is an artefact of ancient Indian history, though no doubt it resonated with British attitudes when they arrived much later.

crackerjack

I used 'PC' once, in this context:

Which was followed by questions from yourself, to which I have replied.

No, you also accused me of 'seeking the PC high ground'.

And it's been the background to virtually everything you've posted since: brave Jambo says what he thinks, calls a spade a spade while dissensus hides in cosy cautious tribal norms.

jambo

No, you also accused me of 'seeking the PC high ground'.
Yes that was in polite response to matt b's (sarcastic, eye-rolling) question. My interpretation of your posting of the link to the 'suntanned' article was that you felt it was not politically correct of SB to use that term. And I can only assume that you felt justified in doing that because you yourself would not use such offensive language.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yes that was in polite response to matt b's (sarcastic, eye-rolling) question. My interpretation of your posting of the link to the 'suntanned' article was that you felt it was not politically correct of SB to use that term. And I can only assume that you felt justified in doing that because you yourself would not use such offensive language.

I've got Club Tropicana going round in my head now.

crackerjack

Yes that was in polite response to matt b's (sarcastic, eye-rolling) question. My interpretation of your posting of the link to the 'suntanned' article was that you felt it was not politically correct of SB to use that term./QUOTE]

Only in the sense that it is not correct for a political leader to use silly disparaging terms about anyone.
But seriously, Jambo, if you wanna reduce all and any issues of race to a loaded term like PC, that's your lookout. Why not change the first letter of your pseudonym while you're at it? I'm sure a bold thinker such as yourself can find a nice avatar to go with.

jambo

Only in the sense that it is not correct for a political leader to use silly disparaging terms about anyone.
You deem it to be not politically correct, so it is not politically correct in your scheme.

It may have been intended in a disparaging fashion but not necessarily. I already mentioned that Italians, who can be quite dark themselves, sometimes use that sort of description for dark skinned people and it is not meant negatively. Please consider that this is a cultural mishearing on the part of (PC) UK or American ears. No, I'm not defending Berlusconi but this is the case in my experience, sorry if that is alien to your island sensibilities.
But seriously, Jambo, if you wanna reduce all and any issues of race to a loaded term like PC, that's your lookout.
If you want to read my posts in that way that is your lookout, jack.
Why not change the first letter of your pseudonym while you're at it? I'm sure a bold thinker such as yourself can find a nice avatar to go with.
More insults and insinuations?

jambo

matt b said:
structural inequality
I think some steps in tackling this are made by not giving it fuel. That means by refusing to grant it purchase as a confining reality in the minds of those who would be it's victims, but also in the minds of those who mean well but are afraid that they might be unwitting perpetrators.

One way in which Obama has succeeded is by refusing to accept that such notions have any relevance to himself as limitations. Admittedly this has been 'easier' for him than for a black person brought up in a black social environment in America, but the principle I think is still demonstrated.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I think some steps in tackling this are made by not giving it fuel. That means by refusing to grant it purchase as a confining reality in the minds of those who would be it's victims, but also in the minds of those who mean well but are afraid that they might be unwitting perpetrators.

One way in which Obama has succeeded is by refusing to accept that such notions have any relevance to himself as limitations. Admittedly this has been 'easier' for him than for a black person brought up in a black social environment in America, but the principle I think is still demonstrated.

is it me, or is this jibberish?

straight

wings cru
The was this conversation has turned cant help but evoke the episode of curb where larry mistakes a black man in a queue for the valet then after being lambasted by wanda gets further grief because he didnt tell his agent that the script she wrote was written by a black woman, 'and not one of them light skinned blacks, reeeal black'