Apparently Barack "isn't black"

vimothy

yurp
On NI, is that what actually happened? Did the IRA really force the UK government to take seriously the demands of civil rights campaigners?

D

droid

No - political recognition of the rights of Catholics in NI was purely the result of the queen's benevolence.

zhao

there are no accidents
No - political recognition of the rights of Catholics in NI was purely the result of the queen's benevolence.

maybe we should adopt a color for sarcasm, which is often difficult to detect online. this other board i know uses green. not a bad choice.

vimothy

yurp

Ok, but was it specifically the IRA who forced the UK government into granting Catholics more civil rights in NI, because they were "scared by what the populace might do"?

crackerjack

err, ANC, suffragettes?

In most cases I'd personally draw the line defending violence between those who have the right to vote and those who don't. It should also be noted that the ANC's actual use of 'terrorism' was pretty minimal.

Did the IRA really force the UK government to take seriously the demands of civil rights campaigners?

Good question. The SDLP was the major republican political force throughout the 70s-80s - are the IRA's defenders seriously suggesting they played no role?

D

droid

In most cases I'd personally draw the line defending violence between those who have the right to vote and those who don't. It should also be noted that the ANC's actual use of 'terrorism' was pretty minimal.

Not according to the US state department who branded them as terrorists and happily supported the apartheid regime. Reagan described the ANC as one of the world's "more notorious terrorist groups" in 1988 - in fact Mandela was only taken off the terrorist watch list this year.

Good question. The SDLP was the major republican political force throughout the 70s-80s - are the IRA's defenders seriously suggesting they played no role?

The IRA's 'defenders'? :slanted:

As with most political struggles which involved terror and violence, both the 'moderates' and 'extremists' played a role with the UK vacillating between the two poles as events dictated.

crackerjack

Not according to the US state department who branded them as terrorists and happily supported the apartheid regime. Reagan described the ANC as one of the world's "more notorious terrorist groups" in 1988 - in fact Mandela was only taken off the terrorist watch list this year.

and since when are we taking the Reagan admin's word on anything? As per cold war rules, anyone vaguely leftist anti-government movement was deemed crypto-communist and a soviet ally. Doesn't later my point - the ANC's terrorism was minimal. Anyone got an actual/estimated death toll?

The IRA's 'defenders'? :slanted:

What's to eye roll? (btw I wasn't talking about you, or anyone here necessarily)

straight

wings cru
Ok, but was it specifically the IRA who forced the UK government into granting Catholics more civil rights in NI, because they were "scared by what the populace might do"?

im not saying that, there are many factors involved which im not going to derail this thread with (and is why I didnt mention the SDLP whom i was brought up to support and my family always voted for). I'm merely pointing out how ridiculous that times articles premise of peaceful protest winning in NI when a man who spent most of the 70s in a commanding position in the IRA ended up sitting in the Primeministers chair (well, sharing it).

Its actually quite pathetic but ive not paid much attention to NI politics the last few years, id rather put the lot behind me

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
im not saying that, there are many factors involved which im not going to derail this thread with (and is why I didnt mention the SDLP whom i was brought up to support and my family always voted for). I'm merely pointing out how ridiculous that times articles premise of peaceful protest winning in NI when a man who spent most of the 70s in a commanding position in the IRA ended up sitting in the Primeministers chair (well, sharing it).

Its actually quite pathetic but ive not paid much attention to NI politics the last few years, id rather put the lot behind me

Yeah, cool. I'm not sure I read the quote as supporting the notion that peaceful protest won through in NI. It says,

The election of Mr Obama is a rebuke too... to the IRA with their pub bombs.... It is a rebuke to all those who abandon law and peace in favour of the gun.

Why I responded to your post is more because you seemed to me to be saying that the IRA were some necessary component of the civil rights struggle in NI. I mean, maybe that's true, but it also leaves out at east half the equation, as far I concerned, namely that the IRA might also have significantly prolonged the civil rights struggle and indeed, subsumed it in a new but no less sectarian and now self-perpetuating argument about you having shot at me, or someone having killed one of your friends, or me not liking you because that's how it is.

I'm not saying this because I'm trying to belittle the Republican cause. In fact, I was raised a Republican -- my family are from Andy town, my uncle was a councillor for SF. I remember soldiers on the streets when I used to visit, my Dad getting stopped at checkpoints, etc. And my grandparents had a hell of a time unable to get work, bank accounts et al. I'm very much supportive of equal rights in NI.

All I'm saying is that I doubt that you can say with any degree of certainty that political violence in NI on any side helped move the country to resolution. It's at least equally plausible (in fact a lot more likely, I'd argue, if I wasn't derailing the thread hopelessly already) that the violence prolonged the conflict and made resolution more difficult.

Last edited:
D

droid

I think that's all fair, but the essential question you're not asking is why the conflict started to begin with - namely as a result of attacks on civil rights marches in NI prompting the formation of the provisionals in '69. The existence of the IRA in NI primarily came about as a result of loyalist and government violence against Catholics, so I think the IRA (in some form), were a necassry component - at least at their inception. Without them, there would not have been a 'resolution' as they would not have been forced into a situation which they had to resolve.

Now you might say that the IRA prolonged the conflict simply by particpating in it, and there is no doubt that peace could have been reached earlier - but at the same time, the British governement explicitly denied the political dimension of the struggle until the mid 80's at least...

I think the question to ask (in another thread maybe) is what you've hinted at: What would NI look like today if the IRA had not existed? Given the consistently brutal historical behaviour of the British in Ireland and in many of their other (ex)colonial territories, I'm not sure it would be such a pretty picture.

Crackerjack - no figures on the ANC. I guess what I was trying to highlight with the Pentagon/Reagan example is - if the US's definition of terrorism has obviously been so flawed, how can it be taken seriously today? Iran for example...

vimothy

yurp
I think that's all fair, but the essential question you're not asking is why the conflict started to begin with - namely as a result of attacks on civil rights marches in NI prompting the formation of the provisionals in '69.

Agreed.

Now you might say that the IRA prolonged the conflict simply by particpating in it

I think that the formation of the IRA was a tragic error from the perspective of Catholics, but one that was preceded and compounded by equally tragic, and certainly no less brutal, errors on the part of Loyalists and the British State.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Crackerjack - no figures on the ANC. I guess what I was trying to highlight with the Pentagon/Reagan example is - if the US's definition of terrorism has obviously been so flawed, how can it be taken seriously today? Iran for example...

The obvious answer is that it can't. 'Terrorism' today fills the slot occupied by 'communist' 30 years ago - a shorthand scare-term .for 'the other side'. That said, there's no serious doubt that Iran has long financed Hezbollah, and more recently Hamas (is there?).

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
The thing is, were it not for the black panther/black power movement and arguably Malcolm X and his followers, many of the gains that made Obama's election possible would never have been made. So I think Malcolm X and others like him are the ones whose shoulders Obama is standing on.

I think Obama's main objective in using moderate rhetoric is that, since blacks are technically/legally (if nominally) allowed "in" to political life through the hard work of civil rights warriors past, it's important that blacks actually get involved in the political mainstream and have a voice that isn't perceived as *merely* radical/reactionary in the vein of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (who, funnily enough, seem pretty vindicated nowadays), which therefore can be used to "reach across the aisle."

Last edited:

waffle

Banned
The thing is, were it not for the black panther/black power movement and arguably Malcolm X and his followers, many of the gains that made Obama's election possible would never have been made. So I think Malcolm X and others like him are the ones whose shoulders Obama is standing on.

I think Obama's main objective in using moderate rhetoric is that, since blacks are technically/legally (if nominally) allowed "in" to political life through the hard work of civil rights warriors past, it's important that blacks actually get involved in the political mainstream and have a voice that isn't perceived as *merely* radical/reactionary in the vein of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (who, funnily enough, seem pretty vindicated nowadays), which therefore can be used to "reach across the aisle."

Certainly, yes. And if it were not for the suffragette movement and the gains made by feminists in the 1960s/1970s, Margaret Thatcher might never have come to power :( [Is Jesse Jackson really considered a radical in the US?].

RE Obama's use of 'moderate rhetoric': I think that piece you posted earlier by Judith Butler points to the problems pertaining to the left's support for Obama, those of fetishistic disavowal:

"If there are avowed racists who have said, "I know that he is a Muslim and a terrorist, but I will vote for him anyway," there are surely also people on the left who say, "I know that he has sold out gay rights and Palestine, but he is still our redemption." I know very well, but still: this is the classic formulation of disavowal". - Judith Butler on Obama.​

Yet there is a great difference between the two forms of disavowal - the right wing disavowal is pragmatic. In fact it is questionable whether it is disavowal at all so much as a weighing up of perceived costs and benefits. In any case, it is not a fetishist disavowal in that it doesn't take the form of acknowledging facts only to act as if they were not the case. "Facts" are acknowledged, but they are deemed to be of less significance than other considerations. That they are not "facts" at all highlights another key difference between these forms of denial: for the right wing disavowal, fantasy lies on the side of the "facts" ("Obama is a Muslim and a terrorist"); for the left, fantasy is on the side of the affirmation "he is our redemption". That is why the leftist disavowal is certainly of the fetishist type - the point being that "selling out Palestine" really does contradict "redemption" while "being a terrorist" does not preclude Obama being "better for the economy". The leftist formula is properly fantasmatic in that it is an affirmation made in spite of the facts, while the right wing disavowal probably indicates the realignment of political priorities which allowed Obama to win: a new willingness to set aside the neoconservative agenda, while maintaining the commitment to neoliberalism.

[Via]

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Certainly, yes. And if it were not for the suffragette movement and the gains made by feminists in the 1960s/1970s, Margaret Thatcher might never have come to power :( [Is Jesse Jackson really considered a radical in the US?].

RE Obama's use of 'moderate rhetoric': I think that piece you posted earlier by Judith Butler points to the problems pertaining to the left's support for Obama, those of fetishistic disavowal:

Jesse Jackson is indeed one of talk radio's favorite "there go black people again, stirring up white hate by insisting that black people are oppressed" punching bags. Throughout the 90s especially he was considered a huge Part of the Racist Problem. The right actually blamed O.J. Simpson's victory in court as a direct result of the influence of Sharpton and Jackson on American culture (it wasn't that you can buy justice in the U.S. or anything...)

I wish the left in the U.S. actually was "the left", but it isn't. I agree with Butler, but I do think you can overstate the "failures" of the American left given the fact that the American left is not very liberal ideologically, and doesn't want to upend the powers that be. Democrats believe in capitalism, too. Obama thinks you can simply reshuffle the tax burden and--voila--you'll make gains for the underclass.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
i find interesting the notion that it is not race, but class, that is the central dynamic of inequality. and that race conflict is actually staged entertainment and distraction for the masses...

and believe it or not, i feel you mr. sloane. this is possible because having different genes or having certain looks is an easy, but by far not the only way to become exiled, shunned, and treated with hostility...
Just want to say I appreciate this post. And mistersloane's.