Apparently Barack "isn't black"

poetix

we murder to dissect
I use "PC" as a convenient slightly mocking shorthand for "ineffectually well-meaning with regard to massive and intractable problems of social organisation". And would cheerfully apply it, in that sense, to myself. It's the anti-racist equivalent of being one of those people who thinks it's terribly important to use energy-saving lightbulbs (which I also am, and do).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Much as it may shock some people here, I think this:

If (as in that Channel 4 TV Big Brother episode some time back) you're a poorly educated English working class lass hurling abuse at the smug pomposity of an upper-caste, multi-millionaire, self-appointed Indian Princess, you're a racist, but if you're an upper-caste, multi-millionaire, self-appointed Indian Princess who totally supports, defends, and benefits from a racist caste system but never uses 'difficult' language, you're not a racist, but an angel...

is a pretty good point.

As you were.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I use "PC" as a convenient slightly mocking shorthand for "ineffectually well-meaning with regard to massive and intractable problems of social organisation". And would cheerfully apply it, in that sense, to myself. It's the anti-racist equivalent of being one of those people who thinks it's terribly important to use energy-saving lightbulbs (which I also am, and do).

I see...well, in the U.S. the term was at the center of a culture war for about 10 years, and it usually meant "anyone who doesn't agree with Rush Limbaugh." It was a hugely divisive term and I just really hate to see it trotted out again after so many years where it seemed, finally, put to bed.

It was most often hurled at "feminazis" who dared to suggest that women should be able to work outside the home, and have sex when they felt like it without being slandered and/or considered fair game for rapists in the courts, and choose what to do with their own uterus. Or anyone who dared suggest the work of the civil rights movement was far from finished.

There were definitely naive if well-meaning people who policed "hate" speech to the point where it felt condescending to minorities. Hence the backlash.

nomadthethird

Mr Baldrick

I love this show. Hilariously enough I saw Hugh Laurie first in House, and he's so good at an American accent I thought he was really American until I saw Blackadder! He's the best American accent faker with Christian Bale in a close second.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love this show. Hilariously enough I saw Hugh Laurie first in House, and he's so good at an American accent I thought he was really American until I saw Blackadder! He's the best American accent faker with Christian Bale in a close second.

Yeah, his accent's really not bad at all. Sometimes you hear British actors doing 'American' accents and it's as bad as...well, as bad as Carey Grant trying to be English, I guess. Or Don Cheadle's 'cheeky cockney' act in Ocean's Eleven, that was pretty funny.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Actually, do you know what? I've - and my friends, we tended to stick together, us freaks, as we were known then, and are still proud to be known now, well, I can't speak for them, but for me? As a mixed race - and fuck you, you don't know what it's like, you don't know what it's like to not belong to a race, fuck you if you can tell me you do, you don't fucking know, you don't know about the abuse, the disgust, the spitting, the exclusion, the 'what are you', the 'you're not one of us', the 'you look weird', the 'mule', the 'donkey', the 'where's your mum from' the 'where's your dad from' the 'you look like a girl' the 'what are you's' ; all of the stuff that we just get and that we, we have internalised as a generation of your shit talking about inclusion politics, normative relations and all of your fucking shite.

We never had any of it, and we're going to fuck up your world so bad you wish, you wish fucking global warming had got there first. For every time you call a footballer 'black' when he had a white mum, we're going to fuck you back. For every time you included us in your fucking Bob Marley politics, we're going to fuck you back. Every time you thought we had anything, anything, to do with any of you, we're going to fuck you back. Because know what? We're nothing to do with any of you, any of you at all, and this is just the beginning; you're wiped out, finished, dropped in the gene pool for us to suck up.

Just fuck off. All of you. Fuck off.

Anyway that's what I think about it John.

zhao

there are no accidents
i have a cunning plan:

lets all shut up about PC or not PC, as the frivolousness of scrutinizing the (fluid and ever changing) meaning of words in relation to (fluid and ever changing) definitions of what is offensive and what is not, becomes an exercise in time wasting after a certain point (and i think that point was reached in this thread a few pages ago). and it can become a distraction to the real dynamics of racism - of which of course certain words can be a sign, but as the posh indian princess demonstrates, is ludicrously inconsequential considering the deeply unjust social system our society is based on.

i find interesting the notion that it is not race, but class, that is the central dynamic of inequality. and that race conflict is actually staged entertainment and distraction for the masses...

and believe it or not, i feel you mr. sloane. this is possible because having different genes or having certain looks is an easy, but by far not the only way to become exiled, shunned, and treated with hostility...

poetix

we murder to dissect
Actually, do you know what? I've - and my friends, we tended to stick together, us freaks, as we were known then, and are still proud to be known now, well, I can't speak for them, but for me? As a mixed race - and fuck you, you don't know what it's like, you don't know what it's like to not belong to a race, fuck you if you can tell me you do, you don't fucking know, you don't know about the abuse, the disgust, the spitting, the exclusion, the 'what are you', the 'you're not one of us', the 'you look weird', the 'mule', the 'donkey', the 'where's your mum from' the 'where's your dad from' the 'you look like a girl' the 'what are you's' ; all of the stuff that we just get and that we, we have internalised as a generation of your shit talking about inclusion politics, normative relations and all of your fucking shite.

We never had any of it, and we're going to fuck up your world so bad you wish, you wish fucking global warming had got there first. For every time you call a footballer 'black' when he had a white mum, we're going to fuck you back. For every time you included us in your fucking Bob Marley politics, we're going to fuck you back. Every time you thought we had anything, anything, to do with any of you, we're going to fuck you back. Because know what? We're nothing to do with any of you, any of you at all, and this is just the beginning; you're wiped out, finished, dropped in the gene pool for us to suck up.

Just fuck off. All of you. Fuck off.

Anyway that's what I think about it John.

Now this is a program I can get behind.

nomadthethird

Yeah, his accent's really not bad at all. Sometimes you hear British actors doing 'American' accents and it's as bad as...well, as bad as Carey Grant trying to be English, I guess. Or Don Cheadle's 'cheeky cockney' act in Ocean's Eleven, that was pretty funny.

HA speaking of Don Cheadle and race relations, did you see Crash?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I cannot believe that shit got an oscar. Oh wait yes I can...

nomadthethird

i have a cunning plan:

lets all shut up about PC or not PC, as the frivolousness of scrutinizing the (fluid and ever changing) meaning of words in relation to (fluid and ever changing) definitions of what is offensive and what is not, becomes an exercise in time wasting after a certain point (and i think that point was reached in this thread a few pages ago). and it can become a distraction to the real dynamics of racism - of which of course certain words can be a sign, but as the posh indian princess demonstrates, is ludicrously inconsequential considering the deeply unjust social system our society is based on.

i find interesting the notion that it is not race, but class, that is the central dynamic of inequality. and that race conflict is actually staged entertainment and distraction for the masses...

and believe it or not, i feel you mr. sloane. this is possible because having different genes or having certain looks is an easy, but by far not the only way to become exiled, shunned, and treated with hostility...

Great post.

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for Butler. good article. of course there is always more than meets the eye....

the thing about being critical is that (all, but especially our kind of) Americans have had such a hard time and have been so angry and sad and frustrated for so long, that before the election at least, any expression of cynicism was just going to be met with hostility. i got into a fight with my EX with whom i see eye to eye on pretty much all political issues just because i said "not sure how much 1 man can do". i realize that this should not be an excuse to gloss over real concerns but at the end of the day humans are emotional creatures and i respect that it was not the time for doubt and criticism. but now i think maybe it's OK to voice these thoughts.

no criticism is necessary with this though, good to the last drop:
20080306150015_20080306.jpg

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah i saw that. it's stupid. and it's stupid to make it an issue and to talk about it.

what Nader says is important and crucial, just a poor choice of words for sensationalist media to latch onto.

please let this stupid thing not be the catalyst of another PC or not PC bicker fest.