Change

crackerjack

Alaska now counted
Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican senator in US history, appeared to have lost re-election to his Alaska seat last night after a recount, a result clearly linked to his conviction on corruption charges days before the November 4 election.

Mr Stevens, 85 yesterday, trailed his Democratic opponent, the Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich, by 3,724 votes after the closing stages of the recount, with just 2,500 ballots left to be tallied.

The result had national implications, because the Alaska race was one of three yet-to-be-decided Senate races that could still hand Democrats a 60-seat filibuster-proof “supermajority” in the US Senate.

Shame. I was so looking forward to Sen. Palin ;)

craner

Beast of Burden
This is true. On a tiny number of issues I listen to her with respect, but it's mostly entertainment now. I balked at her suggestion that we support the MEK in their struggle against Iran. Fucking stupid woman.

craner

Beast of Burden
I like the bit where she goes..."their guard is now totally lowered." Oooh, sinister...

vimothy

yurp
The thing with Obama is that he's quite clearly a pretty conservative, competent politician -- but Melanie Philips insists on seeing this as proof of his radicalism. "Oh yeah, moving to the centre? That's just what he wants you to think...."

vimothy

yurp
Ok, so Obama's no radical. What did you expect? And ok, so there are quite a few conservatives who are impressed with Obama and his picks, but I could easily quote lots of liberals saying how impresed they are with the same guys -- for instance, Krugman, who is probably to the left of Obama and to the left of Goolsbee, crowed that (possibly a bit unfairly) "the grown-ups are coming". Some conservatives are happy -- but what does that prove? Some conservatives didn't like Bush and 'compassionate conservatism' -- maybe Bush was the real liberal and Obama is the conservative alternative...?

As far as Horrowitz's comments on foreign policy go, I think they're a little misguided. "Bush's SecDef" Bob Gates hates Bush, and supposedly carries round a timer telling him how long he has left in office. There are probably more similarities between neocons and liberal hawks than neocons and the realist right. And there are probably more similarities between the anti-war left and the realist right than between the anti-war left and liberal hawks. Horrowitz is blurring those distinctions (Max Boot is better -- "is appointments suggest that, if anything, his administration will have a Reapolitiker, rather than a liberal, bent").

D

droid

Ok, so Obama's no radical. What did you expect? And ok, so there are quite a few conservatives who are impressed with Obama and his picks, but I could easily quote lots of liberals saying how impresed they are with the same guys -- for instance, Krugman, who is probably to the left of Obama and to the left of Goolsbee, crowed that (possibly a bit unfairly) "the grown-ups are coming". Some conservatives are happy -- but what does that prove?

I didnt expect him to be 'radical' at all, but I also didn't expect him to be quite so conservative. This is after all a thread about the potential for 'change' is it not?

My opinion of his political stance is not based on what 'quite a few conservatives say', but on the records of those he has appointed, and on the positions he took prior to the election. The fact that conservatives are now hailing his choices shows just how unlikely substantive political and policy changes are...

polystyle

Mad Mel
The Prez elect's got the planet watching, guessing, second and third guessing, 'Spectating' .
He's going left, he's gone right , to the middle, B ball anal -ogies.
Uh, 'everything he's ever thought is in the book'.
40 some days till he's sworn in, case closed.
;)

D

droid

Mad Mel
The Prez elect's got the planet watching, guessing, second and third guessing, 'Spectating' .
He's going left, he's gone right , to the middle, B ball anal -ogies.
Uh, 'everything he's ever thought is in the book'.
40 some days till he's sworn in, case closed.
;)

Er... he hasn't really got anyone guessing. He was conservative pre-election, more hawkish than McCain on some issues, and now he's appointed a conservative, hawkish cabinet.

Why would he appoint people if he doesn't like their policies and doesn't intend to follow their advice?