Paul McCartney

mms

sometimes
we never really need to be reminded or hear from paul mcartney again though esp given his more recent whitterings, hes been given all the credit he deserves he doesn't need to take even fucking more for his greedy self.
yes i know he did temporary secretary and it's crap.

STN

sou'wester
we never really need to be reminded or hear from paul mcartney again though esp given his more recent whitterings, hes been given all the credit he deserves he doesn't need to take even fucking more for his greedy self.
yes i know he did temporary secretary and it's crap.

In-DEED!

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i suppose my backlash against Paul would be much greater if i were English.
he just does not get much coverage in the news or tabloids here in the USA, and thus reportage of any recent douchebaggery hasn't had much effect on my opinion of his Beatles input, or early solo/Wings music.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
George Harrison wrote better songs for the Beatles during the late phase (67-) than McCartney. Consider Something, Here Comes the Sun, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps against McCartney classics like ObladiOblada, Hello Goodbye, and Penny Lane. He tried to recreate the Beatles with Wings and it was an insult to Beatles fans, esp when that guy who did backup vocals tried to sound like John Lennon. If you ranked the solo Beatles albums, McCartney would maybe come in at #5:

1. Plastic Ono Band (Lennon)
2. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
3. Imagine (Lennon)
4. Wonderwall Music/Electronic Sound (Harrison)
5. (It Don't Come Easy, Wings album, or Double Fantasy)

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
His explanation of Mull of Kintyre was pretty endearing, something along the lines of, "Well, this was the era of punk rock, and everyone was stripping it back to the raw roots, which I thought was great. But I decided to write a waltz. A Scottish waltz."

Can't argue with that.

petergunn

plywood violin
Paul McCartney is incredible. I give him 2 thumbs up 4 life.

article-1030839-01CBD5B800000578-379_468x600.jpg

Keep drinking the haterade. :p

funny

my friend has a story about being on Tottenham Court Road near the Scientology Center (as mentioned in Glen Matlock's Sex Pistols book) and seeing a guy come out of a shop and thinking "oh, that's Paul McCartney"

it wasnt until like, three steps further down the
sidewalk that I was like, "whoa" and then i was like, "i better look again".
and he still looked like paul mccartney the second time, so it must have
been him. also, he was wearing gray suit pants with black hightops and a
ski jacket. who else besides paul mccartney or hobos would dress like this?

that outfit in that pic reminded me of that story...

everyone hates paul until they have THAT moment... for me it was when i learned that Helter Skelter was his song... also, as a bass player, as people have noted, he totally rules... like, from 65-67, he was one of the best bassists in the world in terms of output on wax... him n james jamerson...

mms

sometimes
all the people reaffirming how great paul mcartney is just affirm the point that he should fuck off now, you're all complicit. ;)

BareBones

wheezy
Even if the basslines weren't so next level, just the tone of the bass from the Beatles recordings of that period is enough to make him noteworthy.

the greatness of his bass sound is just as much - if not more - down to ken townsend and mike batchelor and the rest of those abbey road technical dudes who built their own unique compressors and eqs etc. Not denying that mccartney's bass playing and basslines in the beatles are sweet of course, just pointing out the importance of the the engineers in getting that 'beatles sound' that everyone loves them for.

i fall firmly into the 'greatly respect the beatles, but not really into them, and think that mccartney is an annoying arrogant dick nowadays' camp

anyway, isn't he really billy shears?? :)

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
all the people reaffirming how great paul mcartney is just affirm the point that he should fuck off now, you're all complicit. ;)
point conceded.

anyway, i listened to Band on the Run last night, just to reassess a bit, and the album kills. this being hostile territory, i won't break it down song by song, but what fan of The Beatles' Blackbird would not be moved by Wings' Bluebird?

hint

party record with a siren
the greatness of his bass sound is just as much - if not more - down to ken townsend and mike batchelor and the rest of those abbey road technical dudes who built their own unique compressors and eqs etc.

I disagree. That's gear salesman talk. ;)

The way the bass is played and the choice and positioning of the mic + speaker is way, way, way more important than anything the signal gets put through further down the line.

martin

----
McCartney is a nematode and the Beatles were shit. Every single song of theirs was bollocks. They were the poor man's Cliff Richard.

BareBones

wheezy
I disagree. That's gear salesman talk. ;)

LOL you don't know how close you are to being spot on there :eek:

unless of course you somehow actually know me in 'real life'

The way the bass is played and the choice and positioning of the mic + speaker is way, way, way more important than anything the signal gets put through further down the line.

i'm gonna concede this point to you, you're absolutely correct. but the gear was still important ;)

anyway i'm just argument-wanking, i really don't give a toss about the beatles!

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
the greatness of his bass sound is just as much - if not more - down to ken townsend and mike batchelor and the rest of those abbey road technical dudes who built their own unique compressors and eqs etc.

plus some serious influence from Brian Wilson ;)

all the same, McCartney wrote all the great Beatles tunes
whereas Lennon inflicted Imagine on the world

craner

Beast of Burden
Not a bad track on Band on the Run. Venus & Mars, Wild Life: these too are great, weird records, made by a 30-something boho-Scouser with all the money and fame in the world, wondering what the hell to do with himself and all that unchannelled, unrooted talent. So you get these refreshingly silly, sometimes pretty, sometimes grotesque albums. I like Ram too: farm-rock!