Innovative rhythm programming - wtf? moments

Client Eastwood

I seem to remember that nineties trip-hop band Lamb did an album called Fear of Fours where they consciously avoided any 4/4 beats on every track. I've got a feeling that the idea was to use a different signature on each tune although don't quote me on that. Never heard it though so don't know if it's any good.

Yeah song based D&B. I remember reading something about folktronica when it came out. Oh those crazee catz. Likewise I cant vouch for its goodness or otherwise.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Find Lamb's singer quite unlistenable, which means it's hard to give a shit about anything else going on. Used to like them when around the time of their first album.

Opening track on first album was 7 4 d&b:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

'Fear of Fours' was the second album.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
steevio - 'rogue patterns' series and 'beyondness'

forward and backward thinking electronic dance music. Large focus on polyrhythm but certainly not in a chinstroking way... well worth a listen.

viktorvaughn

amon tobin- chomp samba.

Love this one!

Shackleton at FWD seemed like half way between Villalobos and Muslimgauze to me! Got a bit samey I thought.

As a slight diversion what music is there of pure rhythmic percussion? I'm thinking drums cycling in and out of time, especially anything mystic sounding for the real repetitive trancey hold over you. I dunno: old fashioned minimalism, african drumming?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Shackleton at FWD seemed like half way between Villalobos and Muslimgauze to me! Got a bit samey I thought.

As a slight diversion what music is there of pure rhythmic percussion? I'm thinking drums cycling in and out of time, especially anything mystic sounding for the real repetitive trancey hold over you. I dunno: old fashioned minimalism, african drumming?

Give Shackleton a go at home - he's got some really interesting tracks. Not sure it would translate live. Can see the Muslimgauze comparison though, for sure.

Re rhythmic percussion - you could do a lot worse than get hold of some Haitian vodou recordings (lot of this was recorded for old 'ethnographic' records, as far as I understand). Can be sublime.

dave

the day today tonight
Most notable wtf moment this year: snd, 4, 5, 6
dang, limited to 300 so i'm probably too late :( http://www.discogs.com/release/1302994
i haven't kept up with snd since tender love and i've been listening to that and makesndcassette quite a bit recently, i freaken love them.

i was super excited before a shackleton gig and then pretty bored after half an hour of samey stuff. but then again, my fave of his is blood on my hands by faaaaaar, and that's an odd one out i think.

dunno what my wtf moment would be.

Benny Bunter

My wtf tune would have to be Wiley's 'Ice Rink' which I hadn't heard til about a year ago. Come to think of it quite a lot of Grime has had this effect on me since I got into it. Writing a beat with an MCs flow in mind can produce some pretty unusual results. 'I luv u' still sounds ahead of its time too.

childrentalking

the snd was hard for me to stomach. i like makesndcassette and tender love alright, but 4/5/6 took things too far... choppy and unpleasant. i liked it better when i thought it was a 33. probably dumped my copy a little too quickly though.

polystyle

Re rhythmic percussion - you could do a lot worse than get hold of some Haitian vodou recordings (lot of this was recorded for old 'ethnographic' records, as far as I understand). Can be sublime.

Cheers Baboon
Well , can't resist then mentioning our early '90's project The Voodooists will get a rerelease starting in '09.
Real voudou vocals live in Studio, drum machines and yes, a couple samples from old voudou recordings.

viktorvaughn

My wtf tune would have to be Wiley's 'Ice Rink' which I hadn't heard til about a year ago. Come to think of it quite a lot of Grime has had this effect on me since I got into it. Writing a beat with an MCs flow in mind can produce some pretty unusual results. 'I luv u' still sounds ahead of its time too.

Yeah plus Ice Rink 2, that's even weirder!

viktorvaughn

Give Shackleton a go at home - he's got some really interesting tracks. Not sure it would translate live. Can see the Muslimgauze comparison though, for sure.

Yeah I do like Shackleton in smaller doses, just doesn't' do it for me like for some others.

Thanks for the tip on Vodou stuff, sounds interesting.

I used to have a DAB radio that you could record things on. Somehow it developed a bug where after recording an hour the recording would then be intermittent. it was like every other second wasnt recorded. For every other show this made the music unlistenable, but this seven minutes of a recording live from Co-Op @ plastic people sounds great. Totally fucked up out of time broken beat that really shouldnt work. It manages it though

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ng3gky

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Cheers Baboon
Well , can't resist then mentioning our early '90's project The Voodooists will get a rerelease starting in '09.
Real voudou vocals live in Studio, drum machines and yes, a couple samples from old voudou recordings.

I'd love to hear that poly, let us know when it's ready for broadcast

mms

sometimes
funny i once did a dubstep track with someone using samples from santeria, they jacked it in but i was up for carrying it on.

polystyle

I'd love to hear that poly, let us know when it's ready for broadcast

Sure will. One of the tracks , Damballa 2000, definitely has some wft groove going on .
This kind of loping, heart beat skip from layers of perc +
the Haitians beautiful if sometimes hair o' the neck standing up vocals.
While i used to seek out labels to do rereleases on , this time it should be on our own new imprint in oh 9 ...
Co oroducer Steve Breck had worked with Kurtis Blow and Fat Boys,
and with another partner we were able to contact this Fifth Generation Voudou priest and his 'mambo's out in East NY.
And they just blew us away ...
Happy New Year all

polystyle

Voodooists Ep rerelease ...

Following up on this ol' thread.
Voodooists Ep will be coming out on REC , if not by now -very soon on iTunes and all the other services.
Remastered Haitian voudou biz.
Mistersloane -I can send u

Cover design by Leo Zhao.
:D