Going Taqwacore ...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've heard that all things psychedelic are very popular in South America but this may not be true.

One thing I do know, however, is that Mexicans love them some Cure. Really any music run through a heavy chorus effect works.

You would not believe how many latinos have goth punk ringtones, esp in SoCal.

We've done the 'Mexican emos' thread already, haven't we?

swears

preppy-kei
And far as I know, Gibson coined 'cyberspace' in '84 but 'cyberpunk' was tagged by critics to describe a few writers that became seen by most as a tribe.

Bruce Bethke actually coined the term in 1980, but of course it was Neuromancer that really defined it and put it out there in the mass consciousness. But Gibson did write "Fragments of A Hologram Rose" which I think is the first cyberpunk story, in 1977.

Just being a sci-fi nerd pedant, lol.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Also have to say , one has to go and really check out Japanese 'punk' and see if one thinks their version' of '1977' UK or NY punk has anything really to do with the original mode -style -emotions.
I mean hey, Tokyo's kids be stylin' in their way and might even be angry about something,
but it's along way from the original thing or representing things 'punk' in 2009.
Re: Buffalo - you should go up North and check it first, helluva cold place !
Cheers

the style is much different, closer to death metal really. but i like it, it seems more sincere to me, probably because it's a bad impersonation of the original.

ofc "cyberspace" not cyberpunk... I think Bethke wrote a short story with the word "cyberpunk" in the title but I'm not sure if he claims he invented the style. but all those connections between youth culture, tribalism, re-appropriated/recombined styles and fashions, etc. are worth exploring. i like how Gibson ties all those themes together in a cohesive way, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on Taqwacore. maybe it's not so much that he invented a cultural fad, but maybe he identified some universal principles and exhausted their possibilities: ie kids are scavengers, they have a natural sense for what is and isn't cool, they tend to organize in small groups, they 'get' new technologies before everyone else, etc.

cyberpunk fashion is still big with fetishists though. for example: http://www.myspace.com/futureatlanta

not sure that scene would exist without Gibson. BTW i posted the Neuromancer/SY piece, thanks for all the advice!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The prefix 'cyber' nowadays just mainly makes me think of Cyberdog*. :eek:

*for non-UKers: chain of shops that sell neon dreck to dreadlocked psytrance-loving 'cybergoths' - I once heard it described as "a 1980s homosexual's vision of the future", lol.

polystyle

'psy trance' and 'cybergoth' ?
Sounds like a very specific version of er, 'hell' for momentary lack of a better word !
:confused:

Hear you tho' -
Having encountered everything from Japanese ad people who in 1987 told me 'cyber...' is not fresh anymore as our cars companies have already picked up on it for their ads' when I was trying to set up a cyberpunk event in Tokyo -
to a DJ now up @ MIT who maintained that 'cyberpunk' was still to come ( this was 2000 ) when I joked that the 'moment' had already passed ...
Takes all kinds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i actually like psytrance music, it's a guilty pleasure. really you don't know what it's all about until you've listened to Astral Projection or Infected Mushroom while tripping on ayahuasca. It stops being music and becomes this freaky environmental/epidermal surround. but yeah i'm not sure how rubber/pvc/mylar is supposed to enhance the sexual experience.

this south american garage revival stuff is superb btw ;)

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
i actually like psytrance music, it's a guilty pleasure. really you don't know what it's all about until you've listened to Astral Projection or Infected Mushroom while tripping on ayahuasca. It stops being music and becomes this freaky environmental/epidermal surround. but yeah i'm not sure how rubber/pvc/mylar is supposed to enhance the sexual experience.

this south american garage revival stuff is superb btw ;)

I really like those Chris & Cosey albums, especially that one with "ReEducated through Labour" on it. They're just "trance" though.

Latex looks great but it's really sweaty to wear.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
well latex is fantastic - esp latex catsuits. but i just don't get mylar and industrial manufacturing materials and shit like that.

nomadthethird

well latex is fantastic - esp latex catsuits. but i just don't get mylar and industrial manufacturing materials and shit like that.

Yeah, and those gas masks? I don't really get it either. Especially the ones that have like pigtails attached to them? I guess it's a crossdressing rubber fetish thing.

petergunn

plywood violin
I've heard that all things psychedelic are very popular in South America but this may not be true.

capa_os-mutantes.jpg

the more i listen to this, the more i realize it is as good as Piper at the Gates of Dawn or SF Sorrow or There's a Riot Goin On or the first Funkadelic record....
You would not believe how many latinos have goth punk ringtones, esp in SoCal.

mexicans are infamous for loving morrisey... they also do love the cure...

early 80th's LA stuff like 45 grave (obscure early LA goth band i have seen mexicans in my neighborhood wearing backpatches for...), christian death, slayer, suicidial tendencies (duh) have huge mexican fanbases...

yeah, mexicans love that whole goth/punk/death metal axis.... the damned, cannibal corpse, souxie... someone should write a great Phd on paper this...

maybe it is some sort of latin romantic thing, but all these ultra-dramtatic bands go over so well there... sangre and muerte y mas...

mms

sometimes
A lady i know who's work is incidentally about asian womens identities and did a book called red threads about queer asians told me about seeing girls in burkhas stagediving recently at a asian punk gig in elephant and castle. She was in as in a girl post punk group in the 80's and i think there were a few bands about, Aki Nawaz played quite a role in it all too.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
As far as psychedelics in South America, I think it starts with Chavin (approx. 1000 BCE) in Peru. They used psychedelics in religious ceremonies - DMT in the form of yopo, and the San Pedro cactus, which contains mescaline - not as strong as peyote but still potent. When they moved into the jungle they discovered ayahuasca, which is a tea you make by boiling caapi vine and chacruna leaves for about 6-8 hours (at least). The MAOI in the caapi activates the DMT in the viridis leaves. Not sure about Castenada or Alex Grey - they are both American. iirc Don Juan was Mexican/didn't exist ;) i used to eat peyote with the locals in Portales, NM.

a few years ago my friend went on one of the shamanic tours they sell online. Can't remember which one exactly but here's an example: http://www.ayahuasca-shamanism.co.uk/

He drank ayahuasca for two weeks with a native shaman and some tribal elders. I think this was in Brazil or Ecuador, not sure. The tribe elders told him they had contacted entities from elsewhere in the galaxy- they drove around in spacecraft and everything. the entities are invisible unless you are tripping on ayahuasca. The shamen claimed they received all kinds of occult knowledge from the entities (who can travel through time). Apparenlty the world ends in 2012, the aliens will reveal themselves to mankind again, we'll live in peace for 1000 years, yadda yadda.

Breaking Open the Head covers Daniel Pinchbeck's ayahuasca tour in South America. It's good but overhyped (Pinchbeck tries to sell himself too much imo): http://www.breakingopenthehead.com/

i plan to visit Uruguay next summer. the same friend bought a small house there - i just need enough money for a plane ticket. ayahuasca and locally-grown cannabis are way cheap.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

capa_os-mutantes.jpg

the more i listen to this, the more i realize it is as good as Piper at the Gates of Dawn or SF Sorrow or There's a Riot Goin On or the first Funkadelic record....

mexicans are infamous for loving morrisey... they also do love the cure...

early 80th's LA stuff like 45 grave (obscure early LA goth band i have seen mexicans in my neighborhood wearing backpatches for...), christian death, slayer, suicidial tendencies (duh) have huge mexican fanbases...

yeah, mexicans love that whole goth/punk/death metal axis.... the damned, cannibal corpse, souxie... someone should write a great Phd on paper this...

maybe it is some sort of latin romantic thing, but all these ultra-dramtatic bands go over so well there... sangre and muerte y mas...

I LOVE Os Mutantes. One of my very favorite songs is that one by Tom Ze that what's her name sampled for "Take Control"? Amerie.

Have you seen the commercial with Minha Menina in it for McDonald's?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As far as psychedelics in South America, I think it starts with Chavin (approx. 1000 BCE) in Peru. They used psychedelics in religious ceremonies - DMT in the form of yopo, and the San Pedro cactus, which contains mescaline - not as strong as peyote but still potent. When they moved into the jungle they discovered ayahuasca, which is a tea you make by boiling caapi vine and chacruna leaves for about 6-8 hours (at least). The MAOI in the caapi activates the DMT in the viridis leaves. Not sure about Castenada or Alex Grey - they are both American. iirc Don Juan was Mexican/didn't exist ;) i used to eat peyote with the locals in Portales, NM.

a few years ago my friend went on one of the shamanic tours they sell online. Can't remember which one exactly but here's an example: http://www.ayahuasca-shamanism.co.uk/

He drank ayahuasca for two weeks with a native shaman and some tribal elders. I think this was in Brazil or Ecuador, not sure. The tribe elders told him they had contacted entities from elsewhere in the galaxy- they drove around in spacecraft and everything. the entities are invisible unless you are tripping on ayahuasca. The shamen claimed they received all kinds of occult knowledge from the entities (who can travel through time). Apparenlty the world ends in 2012, the aliens will reveal themselves to mankind again, we'll live in peace for 1000 years, yadda yadda.

Breaking Open the Head covers Daniel Pinchbeck's ayahuasca tour in South America. It's good but overhyped (Pinchbeck tries to sell himself too much imo): http://www.breakingopenthehead.com/

i plan to visit Uruguay next summer. the same friend bought a small house there - i just need enough money for a plane ticket. ayahuasca and locally-grown cannabis are way cheap.

Borroughs went to South America and experienced this stuff, he even wrote a book about it (The Yage Letters) - don't suppose you or anyone else here has read it? I bet it's worth a peek, anyway.

Alex Grey rocks, btw. :)

nomadthethird

saw a talk by this guy http://headoverheels.org.uk/
about the crazy life of an amazonian shaman called pablo amaringo and also this guys experiences of ayahusca a few years back to drag this whole thread even further off....
good essay from him about it in this journal
http://dreamflesh.com/journal/one/
not interested in the poetry but good read overall.

I watched that too! I love Pablo's artwork. I used to have big printouts of it.

pablonewf.jpeg

http://www.pabloamaringo.com/

As soon as I can afford one of those psychedelic tours I'm taking one. I know someone who did one in Patagonia and said it was pretty great. He lived with some kind of monks for a while afterward.

I also just got Holy Mountain from netflix and I'm excited to finally see the whole thing.

Last edited: