a futile plea to producers

martin

----
girl talk sounds dreadful. that whole indie posturing djing mashups from a bloody apple mac whilst sporting an asymmetrical hoxton haircut gig was old, old, old about five years ago in london, surely?

peaches geldof probably likes them.

Girl Talk WAS 5 years ago, or at least the first CD was. They had a Kaos pad and they were going to use it. They got ripped to shreds in one review, can't remember where from now.

I haven't a musical ear so can't comment on technicalities but, for me, what's lacking is delirious excitement. I just haven't heard anything that's taken my head off or given me goosebumps or ripped a hole in the reality vortex in ages. A lot of electronic music seems very shy at the moment, it's almost apologetic in its approach.

swears

preppy-kei
He's just not very good at bootlegs, simple as that. Those 2manyDJs and Richard X mash-ups from 02-03 kick his arse. I don't understand the fuss at all, even Kid606 was doing loud/noisy remixes of pop tracks back then. It's like somebody getting excited about a grunge band in 1999.

bassnation

the abyss
Girl Talk WAS 5 years ago, or at least the first CD was. They had a Kaos pad and they were going to use it. They got ripped to shreds in one review, can't remember where from now.

I haven't a musical ear so can't comment on technicalities but, for me, what's lacking is delirious excitement. I just haven't heard anything that's taken my head off or given me goosebumps or ripped a hole in the reality vortex in ages. A lot of electronic music seems very shy at the moment, it's almost apologetic in its approach.

the old stuff is still doing that for me. hearing kenny larkin playing the most fucked up acid at plastic people and mala's first record in his set at free rotation in the summer that seemed to consist of a single bass and organ tone, so powerful it felt like my head was going to explode - shortly before he blew the speakers. (btw, what fuck is that tune??? did anyone ever find out?)

having said that, extremely high quality mdma was involved on both occasions.

i was feeling a lot of ennui about music a few years back but i've moved on from that now. it speaks to me on so many levels and is such a massive part of my life that i find it difficult to be cynical about it.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i think professionalism is overrated tbh - it has overtones of craft, not art. i'd rather see someone who hasn't a clue what they are doing produce something exciting. in the same way that producers who are classically trained (BT for example) have difficulty composing something truly alien because its hard to break those drummed in rules.

i've got infinitely more patience for that kind of mistake than i have of a piece of work which is neither bad nor good - but just damned by mere adequacy.

is part of the reasons i often find african electronic music infinitely more exciting than european: it's a relatively new phenomenon in many newly politically and culturally liberated areas, where loads of experimentation takes place with no regard to what is "right" or "proper" -- and if there is, it is to a different set of musical rules, and drawing from the wealth of a musical heritage deeper than any one of us can imagine.

2 words comes to mind at the mention of BT: jack ass.

for me, what's lacking is delirious excitement. I just haven't heard anything that's taken my head off or given me goosebumps or ripped a hole in the reality vortex in ages. A lot of electronic music seems very shy at the moment, it's almost apologetic in its approach.

edit: where as i feel much of eurocentric dance music has become solipsistic, stagnant, and bankrupt, i feel Funky is leading a way, THE way out of the rut -- Africa.

Picture9.png

(sorry couldn't help myself)

Last edited:
A lot of the points made in this thread i could easily counter with examples of music doing the rounds at the minute, there's just too many niches and sub genres existing simultaneously for this thread to make any real sense.

e.g
A lot of electronic music seems very shy at the moment, it's almost apologetic in its approach.
could apply to a lot of the striiped back clinical minimal that's big all round the globe, but then again there's..

DJ Zinc - House mix for Fabric Nov 08

http://www.zshare.net/download/520800467ee76935/

ac slater - jack got jacked
ac slater - jack got jacked (jack beats rmx)
boy 8 bit - wolfen
foamo - everything cool
mujava - township funk (boy 8 bit mix)
mujava - township funk (sinden mix)
zinc n spoon - ghost train
zinc n spoon - ghost train (lee mortimer rmx)
mescal kid - magic
busy p - crookers rmx
diplo - crookers rmx
zinc - blunt edge dominator - ac slater rmx sirens disco sirens (boy 8 bit rmx)
tc - where’s my money - caspa/jack beats mix
proxy - raven
zinc ft no.lay - killa sound
herve + jesse rose - take it to the club let me hear you say zinc ft foreign beggars - move (dub)

Pure unapologetic, unsubtle, bite-yer-face-off party music which is also big at the minute.

There's plenty of amazing stuff being made, if you don't think so then it's your problem, not the zeitgeist/digital age/post-modern affliction/whatever the fuck..

Zhao, where can i get that Ngoma mix?

bassnation

the abyss
There's plenty of amazing stuff being made, if you don't think so then it's your problem, not the zeitgeist/digital age/post-modern affliction/whatever the fuck..

you know, i've seen this exact discussion rewound on forums repeatedely since 1995 - including your exact response, which always drops into the thread at this precise moment, according to hallowed tradition.

in a way both views are correct - there is loads of good stuff - and like i said, i'm bored of boredom - but its buried under vast amounts of shite.

it has always been that way, and it will always remain so. picking out one example of a mix you like out of possibly millions out there, what does that prove?

but i appreciate you posting up that link! :)

martin

----
edit: where as i feel much of eurocentric dance music has become solipsistic, stagnant, and bankrupt, i feel Funky is leading a way, THE way out of the rut -- Africa.

Picture9.png

(sorry couldn't help myself)

Is that a downloadable mix? Clicked on it but nothing happened. Or is it a release you've put out?

martin

----
I just remember (now we're going way back) how stuff like Public Enemy and jungle really affected us when we first heard it, it was like being smacked in the face, and all the positive/negative press whipped up this really interesting storm and loads of people got connected. Also, I got the impression Zhao was mainly referring to dubstep with this thread, which I do think is kind of reserved and a bit enclosed.

i was feeling a lot of ennui about music a few years back but i've moved on from that now. it speaks to me on so many levels and is such a massive part of my life that i find it difficult to be cynical about it.

A few years back, I was laughing at bloggers like you for your first sentence and thinking you were just old gits (I think the mighty Dubversion said something similar): now I'm, er, feeling that way. It's not even so much that I think the music's substandard, or not great in the right time or context (I downloaded that DJ Zinc mix and it's OK, but seems pointless listening to it in my flat, need to actually be out clubbing to it) - I just want someone to do something completely off the fucking wall. But guess everyone's got their definitions of 'the wall'.

Anyway, I think this thread should be encouraged, why not keep demanding more and questioning things? You'd only be offended by this if you're lazy and just wanna keep slogging away at the same old thing forever.

Nice to see the ennui wasn't permanent though...gives me a bit of hope!

Alfons

Way of the future
I think that in a way the internet and the whole democratization can provide a way out of the restlessness in the same way that it leads to it. Take more breaks from music, explore different stuff, older stuff, stuff from far away... Tired of dubstep check out a mix of african music from zhao, or some skwee, or some old acid or chicago house. Wonky not doing it for you, try some 80s hip hop, some bebop, some inuit throat singing or whatever. Then come back. Or don't.

I honestly don't buy the whole it was much better back in the day, cos back in the day everybody was saying it was better back in the day ad infinitum. Ideas were endlessly recycled before the 00s too.

you know, i've seen this exact discussion rewound on forums repeatedely since 1995 - including your exact response, which always drops into the thread at this precise moment, according to hallowed tradition.

in a way both views are correct - there is loads of good stuff - and like i said, i'm bored of boredom - but its buried under vast amounts of shite.

it has always been that way, and it will always remain so. picking out one example of a mix you like out of possibly millions out there, what does that prove?

but i appreciate you posting up that link! :)

That sort of mid-rangey ravey house is massive at the minute, i think it ticks all the boxes that martin didn't think existed in electronic music, so i posted the zinc mix.

My first sentence in that last post was a bit of a generalisation.. it's just that if you are being critical then you're gonna have to be specific. Talking about electronic music as a whole being in a dire state or any wistful 'better back in the day' stuff.. is too vague and comes mostly from people that aren't looking hard enough or have their tastes on lockdown. or else people who don't actually want it to be better, they want to believe they were there through the golden era of the 60s/70s/80s/92 and don't have to worry about staying on it anymore.

It's easier than ever to find good music imo, maybe that's the problem for some of you, that the danger/exclusivity/rarity of finding blow-yer-mind-shit is gone?

doom

Public Housing
worst thread ever.

Agreed.

You know what my futile plea is... for lazy internet DJs to take the time to dig a lil deeper, not cut & paste tracklists together & BUY some fucking tunes!!!

I keep seein these mixes posted up that look like Top 10 Downloads from "Insert Forum Name Here"

DJ PIMP

Pure unapologetic, unsubtle, bite-yer-face-off party music which is also big at the minute.

I am loving it to bits. Lots of it is really inventive while entirely unapologetic about thieving from old skool.

e.g. the Le Castlevania remix of Rave is King by Fukkk Offf. What a tune...

zhao

there are no accidents
Agreed.

You know what my futile plea is... for lazy internet DJs to take the time to dig a lil deeper, not cut & paste tracklists together & BUY some fucking tunes!!!

I keep seein these mixes posted up that look like Top 10 Downloads from "Insert Forum Name Here"

hey, i know you talking about me. look at NGOMA 1, look at FUSION 1, you see many tracks that came from motherfucking forums? NO, you DON'T. you see something lazy about those track listings? NO, you DON'T.

and i've spend thousands, yes, that is many multiples of thousands, on records in my time. don't jump to stupid conclusions based on 1 mix.

NGOMA 2 JUST SO HAPPENS to use a lot of tunes i got from forums, BECAUSE THEY FIT MY MOTHERFUCKING PURPOSE for this one.

NGOMA 1:
ngoma1_BACK_MED.jpg

FUSION 1:
fusion_1_back2.gif

now shut the fuck up and post a better afro-techno and funky mix than mine.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

One of these days Im going to get round to downing loading some of your mixes Zhao, they look mint. Actually I heard that recent one with the dubstep bootleg tunes in it and that sounded good, maybe I'll just give that another listen first :slanted:

Doom, behave yourself!

*drunk post* ;)