Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Brocolli, red onion, ginger and soy. Fresh coriander / chilli / mustard seeds / sesame seeds optional. Intense but wonderfully balanced stir fry business, either as a straight vegetable dish or with some chunky noodles.

zhao

there are no accidents
worlds' simplest delicoius recepies by zhao, part 1:

cut soft tofu into strips or cubes, cook in water until boiling.
mix peanut butter with soy sauce for dipping.
serve with rice.

pasta with pesto sauce. that's it.
(i am so in love with pesto sauce right now. that stuff is amazing!!!)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've got a great tofu recipe. Cut soft tofu into strips or cubes, then throw it in the bin and eat some real food instead.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I find it just tastes of whatever you cook it with/dip it in - it has no real taste of its own. It's like eating solidified air.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
This recipe is zeus as far as tofu goes - fresh, elegant, luxurious and perfectly balanced, like an italian suit. It's also one of the simplest tofu recipes I know (notwithstanding zhao's one upthread) and is one of the few that works with what flavour the tofu naturally has rather than trying to make it taste of something else by deep frying it and bashing it with spices. It's all about the balance and subtlety so the recipe is maybe a bit less flexible than most:

1 fairly mild fresh chilli
1/2 sweet red pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 lb tofu, as firm and dry as you can get (I use the Cauldron stuff)
1tbs dark soy
2 floz water
4tbs finely chopped fresh coriander

Mix the cornflour, soy and water in a glass
Slice the peppers into short fine shreds
dice the tofu

Heat the oil in a pan. Stir fry the peppers and salt for about 30 seconds, then chuck in the tofu. Turn the heat down and push the tofu around til it's hot. Add the soy / cornflour mix and stir until it thickens. Add the coriander, stir a couple more times and serve with rice / noodles and a big fucking slab of beef.

Nicked from Madhur Jaffrey's Eastern Vegetarian Cooking (all hail) by the way.

I'll give that tofu recipe a go, cheers slothrop. My attempts to fry it before have been very unsatisfactory, usually of the burnt on the outside raw on the inside variety

nochexxx

harco pronting
cut tofu in blocks

place in a small 1-inch deep tray

submerge in half apple juice and tamari

and bake in oven for about 30 minutes.

Client Eastwood

Besides bhajia, what are some good ways to use up gram flour?

Make thick gram floor mix with spices. Use one of them cake piping things to make tubes and cut into 3cm ish bits and deep fry until crispy. Cool down, eat with beer/tea as a snack.

Or treat as falafel.

There some thing you can do when you make very small balls of it and fry. Its a lot lighter somehow and you add them to spiced up yogurt. I forgotten what its called tho'. You can buy it Asian super markets.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
cut tofu in blocks

place in a small 1-inch deep tray

submerge in half apple juice and tamari

and bake in oven for about 30 minutes.

That sounds interesting. On the apple tip, I've been meaning to try smoked herrings (guess it would work with smoked mackerel too?) with apple, gherkins and possibly soured cream, from a Swedish recipe.

Perfected stuffed red peppers at the weekend, I think: bulghur wheat with sultanas, toasted almonds, good tomato paste, olive oil, bit of pomegranate molasses, lots of thyme, onions fried with sugar til soft, golden and buttery, bit of balsamic or sherry vinegar, and then served with Turkish yoghurt and herb dressing (I used parsley, but coriander and mint would seem to go well).

Now need to try a meat version.

Client Eastwood

This sounds like home-made Bombay mix, right?

The same tubes as found in Bombay mix but bigger about 1cm thick and as long as you like really, usually a few cms. So its just the tubes without the Bombay mix type.

edit here you Mr Tea - the fat noddle type things shown here.

namkeen1.jpg

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Recently discovered Sainsbury's do a 700g jar of quality Passata for 82p. A big jar of sieved tomotoes which you can use for curries, bolognese, chilli, loads of stuff... so handy. Sometimes I just chuck in a diced up onion and chilli powder and have it with some mince and pasta. Good base for soup, too. Better and cheaper than pre-made sauces and nicer in my mind than a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The same tubes as found in Bombay mix but bigger about 1cm thick and as long as you like really, usually a few cms. So its just the tubes without the Bombay mix type.

edit here you Mr Tea - the fat noddle type things shown here.

namkeen1.jpg

Ah yeah, I've had those. Well lush. Ta for the recipe, I may try that at some point.

Can you deep-free things just using a frying pan with an inch or so of oil in it, or do you need a special deep fryer, btw?

Client Eastwood

Ah yeah, I've had those. Well lush. Ta for the recipe, I may try that at some point.

Can you deep-free things just using a frying pan with an inch or so of oil in it, or do you need a special deep fryer, btw?

I doubt you'll need anything special. Just deep fry in a small wok type thing. I imagine they'll crips up better than shallow frying. Just chuck one in to test the temp of the oil and you're away.