Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

STN

sou'wester
Recently discovered Sainsbury's do a 700g jar of quality Passata for 82p. A big jar of sieved tomotoes which you can use for curries, bolognese, chilli, loads of stuff... so handy. Sometimes I just chuck in a diced up onion and chilli powder and have it with some mince and pasta. Good base for soup, too. Better and cheaper than pre-made sauces and nicer in my mind than a tin of chopped tomatoes.

I like to use this with a lot of garlic and some chopped chilli, then boil some pasta, chuch some brocolli in with the pasta for five minutes and pour the passata concotion over the top. Bacon optional.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Recently discovered Sainsbury's do a 700g jar of quality Passata for 82p. A big jar of sieved tomotoes which you can use for curries, bolognese, chilli, loads of stuff... so handy. Sometimes I just chuck in a diced up onion and chilli powder and have it with some mince and pasta. Good base for soup, too. Better and cheaper than pre-made sauces and nicer in my mind than a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Haven't tried Sainsbury's passata yet. In the tomato realm, I swear by the 20p tins of Arabic or Greek tomato paste - can transform a sauce.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
there are so many threads about stuff like this in Miscellaneous at the moment I think we could do with a dedicated Food And Drink sub-forum. Who's with me?

i support this - this is but one good example of why this is one of the best threads on dissensus:

This recipe is zeus as far as tofu goes - fresh, elegant, luxurious and perfectly balanced, like an italian suit.

seriously, this, the 'i'm new to a city' tips, wiley nerdiness, intelligent football discussion and the occasional outbreak of intense philosophical or political debate are all i really want from a message board ;)

i roasted another duck today, sainsbury's keep making whole ducks half price and it's tough for anyone of taste to resist tbh - is duck skin not one of the best tastes there is? any ideas of how to cook a duck? i usually roast in garlic and sherry and serve with (saffron, or today wild) rice and veg.

nochexxx

harco pronting
try roasting the whole thing in coca cola, the chinese are renowned for this sorta thing.

1. Place the duck in a pot where it will fit snugly.
2. Pour over the Coca Cola and the soy sauce. Cover with lid.
3. Set over a medium heat and boil and bubble for about one hour.
4. The duck will be glossy and be surrounded by an incredible dark thick sauce.

Good with plain fluffy rice.

Lichen

We attempted a crispy peking duck the other day by submerging an duck in a large vat of boiling oil.

It was ok, but I don't think our stove was able to get the oil to a high enough temperature so it wasn't as crispy as it might have been.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That Coca-cola recipe is mental. Respect.

Nigella has a recipe for ham cooked in Coca-Cola. Though that duck recipe sounds immense, have to try that somewhen.

Also, gravy isn't gravy unless it's got a dollop of jam (blackcurrant, blackberry, raspberry) in it.

hucks

Your Message Here
Toasted seeds. I'd put them in everything if I could. Sesame, pumpkin, pine kernels - toast em! If you make a salad and you haven't put toasted seeds in you are an idiot.

viktorvaughn

Loads of onions fried with garlic and quite a lot of olive oil. Spoon of harissa and one dried chilli, add passata and then green beans and cook till soft.

Have with rice with parsley / chopped olives / preserved lemons / spring onions stirred through.

Well nice.

viktorvaughn

More ideas please all!

Monday i'm doing a recipe from St Johns cookbook - you slowly poach a chicken and then have it with the light stock and leeks done in the stock and a fat spoon of home made aioli. hyped.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Have I mentioned this recipe on here before? Who cares, it's worth mentioning again.

Smoked Mackerel Pots.

Make a standard white sauce from butter+flour+milk. Turn it into a cheese sauce by melting in a shitload of grated xtra-mature cheddar. Season with Worcestershire. Then crumble in a pack of smoked mackerel and mix until you have something that's more or less half-cheese sauce, half-mackerel. Spread onto brown toast, baked spud or whatever. Now this is the bit that lifts it into the realms of the sublime: give it a good layer of extra cheese before sticking it under the grill to brown. Douse with more Worcestershire, Tabasco, black pepper or whatever takes your fancy.

I think the 'pots' in the title comes from the way my parents serve it, just in a bowl by itself (though with spuds and stuff too, on a plate). It's possibly the richest thing you'll ever eat, and it is AMAZING.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Gruyere cheese in omelettes. Put some ham or whatever in there too. I put mushrooms, but fry the mushrooms in olive oil seperately before you put them in.

Seriously gruyere improves omelettes like 200%.