grime queries

mms

sometimes
autonomicforthepeople said:
I was pondering similar things after your Gype query. Where will grime's very own take on virtusoic 'progression' (IE: it's drillnbass snare rush/wanky guitar solo/... equivalent) come from? Is the spectre of bloated 'orchestral grime' lurking of the horizon? Who will write the first grime-opera? Who's got grime "Demon's Theme" in their back pocket? I'm out of questions, but you get the idea.

nah it s just catchy i think, there have been some other new riddims with orchestra samples but they are just big and catchy too, the rhyme over it sing along is one of the most oi!ish rhymes heard on a grime release since pies..so not much to worry about there

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Who's got grime's "Demon's Theme" in their back pocket? I'm out of questions, but you get the idea.

Hah, I was just listening to 'Demon's Theme' today and thinking that it would be pretty cool to hear a grime mix of it. And J Majik's 'Your Sound' too.

S

simon silverdollar

I was pondering similar things after your Gype query. Where will grime's very own take on virtusoic 'progression' (IE: it's drillnbass snare rush/wanky guitar solo/... equivalent) come from? Is the spectre of bloated 'orchestral grime' lurking of the horizon?.

i doubt it'll happen. it's not inevitable, by any means. i mean, where's dancehall's take on virtusoic progression? where's hip hop's? [ok, there's the whole scratch championship malarky, but that's always been a bit of a side show, hasn't it?]

anyway, i hope it doesn't happen. i like things kept simple and catchy.

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
i remember talking to paradinas just under two years ago and he was well into grime at that time. didn't his bilious paths (as u-ziq) have one or two d'n'g tunes on it? i'll have to dig up that record and give it another spin. seems i remember him mentioning that a couple of tracks on it were directly grime influenced.

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
also remember that at that time a lot of people were using "gutter garridge" synomously with grime and that i'd speculated about a new genre name for the d'n'g stuff: "cluttered garridge". doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but there it is.

mms

sometimes
martyturenne said:
i remember talking to paradinas just under two years ago and he was well into grime at that time. didn't his bilious paths (as u-ziq) have one or two d'n'g tunes on it? i'll have to dig up that record and give it another spin. seems i remember him mentioning that a couple of tracks on it were directly grime influenced.

sure but he wouldn't call those tracks grime tracks i'm sure, like the richard d james album isn't drum and bass.
planet mu signed up markone and the new virus syndicate record is out soon i think. Mike's a big grime/garage loving human for sure , also they've now got vexd on their books who is a kinda dubstep/breaks guy.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
am i the only one that is filled with fear at the prospect of "drill n grime?" didn't anyone learn last time squarepusher tried to "correct" jungle?

re wonder: weird simon should mention dubstep because although he does come to Forward (in fact he's playing alongside kode 9 and plasticman next week) his sound, as a former roll deep member, is still very grime. he's influenced by hip hop like dizzee is (he DJs for dizzee sometimes). i always think of wonder and target as two sonic sides of the same coin. both have minimal, 80s or timbaland drums. except target uses glorious 80s electro in key melodies, whereas wonder uses dissonant/off key melodies. check wonder & kano "lately" and look out for wonder and sway "call my name" (which samples madonna!!!). and to come full circle in this para, his track with Kano was a huge Forward tune for Kode 9 n co.

re trim, words fail me on his genius, thankfully they dont fail him. the way he can bounce words around, twist them, flip them over, pull them back. it's a joy to hear. in a rave he's even funnier because he spits all this fury on the beat but dances with his feet planted together but his knees moving in circles out of time with the beat. it's fantastic to watch, i hope he will "do a dizzee" one day.

mpc

wasteman
"call my name" is amazing. i heard that when wonder was on rinse a few days back. is that gonna be released?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Blackdown said:
am i the only one that is filled with fear at the prospect of "drill n grime?" didn't anyone learn last time squarepusher tried to "correct" jungle?

With you 100% on that.

I never understood why anyone wanted to listen to Squarepusher when they could listen to Dillinja (I'm talking golden era Dillinja, of course).

While Wiley, Davinche, Terror Danjah, Plasticman etc etc etc are making the tunes they are making who really wants to hear a 'wacky' IDM 'deconstruction'?

mpc

wasteman
squarepusher really isn't that bad. he's got about 4 good songs, which is much more than lady sovereign or m.i.a. who are both 1 hit wonders.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
mpc said:
"call my name" is amazing. i heard that when wonder was on rinse a few days back. is that gonna be released?

dunno. i first heard it at 1xtra last summer so it has been knocking around for a while. saw wonder in uptown the other week and he mentioned the tune but not any sense of when it's coming out. this is, i guess, is a function of the artist/producer role reversal from jungle to grime. now grime is run by the artists, the producers have to wait til lp projects are complete.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
mpc said:
squarepusher really isn't that bad. he's got about 4 good songs, which is much more than lady sovereign or m.i.a. who are both 1 hit wonders.

dont get me wrong, they were amazing, and when they first came out i bought loads of them. but the idea that it was some kind of improvement or correction of jungle's urban/black musical culture is kinda insulting to jungle and ignorant of the scene's history and how it operates. urban scenes change from the inside out, not vice versa. if AFX were to make some Terror Danjah-gone-spazzy riddim, it wouldnt be grime, merely grime-influenced. the rhythmic linearity of urban music has been a given for decades. if it's to be changed now only someone with supreme power on the scene ie wiley, could do it. AFX or Mike Paradinas trying would have no effect.

lenny

Just wondered - as a new-comer to grime, where does Fallacy and Fusion's 'Groundbreaker' fit in. Or doesn't it. Haven't seen it mentioned, which seems strange to these inexperienced ears as it's one of the best singles of recent years and doesn't sound that far away, if slightly slicker, than the current scene.

Clubberlang

mpc said:
Of course, Lady Sov and M.I.A. been releasing stuff for about a year now whereas Squarepusher has amassed his 4 good songs over the course of nearly a decade. Not to mention the fact that either of the former's "good" songs is about a million times better than Squarepusher's best song.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
i like it when open thinking forum pplz put up walls and talk about music being better than other music. i love grime, and i also love breakcore (drill'n'bass? what is this 1998?) . check out the hawerchuk 12". i think this music has potential, and like anything it just needs some room to breathe and progress before it develops its ideas . . . i'd love to hear a nice techy dubstep beat slowly deconstruct into spazzy drum madness, open up again, let the square bass breathe, cut it up 'feedback' style, sync the drums.. go halftime... something like what toasty's doing but with a little more pressure in the middle of the track.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
minikomi said:
i like it when open thinking forum pplz put up walls and talk about music being better than other music.

That's the single best part of discussing music, going, "no, WRONG, that blows!" ;)

soul_pill

Fallacy & Fusion's "Groundbreaker" goes really well in a grime set - it just has a little more sparkle than some grime tunes... only a few bpm slower (135?). Fallacy is on the Virus Syndicate album.

ripley

Yeah, I was going to mention the Hawerchuk record. Would that qualify as "drill'n'grime" I love it, whatever.

I guess My Red Hot Car is off the radar, here? It's squarepusher and it's more r+B or 2steppish. There's bits like dentist drills in that, though.

3underscore

mpc said:

Maybe this comes from Squarepusher having had a ten album career, and Sov having had four 12"s, and MIA about the same. Regardless, MPC, I applaud the nonsensical nature of this observation.

hmmm...point made elsewhere.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
ripley said:
I guess My Red Hot Car is off the radar, here? It's squarepusher and it's more r+B or 2steppish. There's bits like dentist drills in that, though.

but isn't the essence of My Red Hot Car, "look at those ignorant kids with their cars, i'm gonna educate them with my complex post Weather Report-beats... ." i like the melodies of the tune, but find its sentiments dodgy.